Have you had Transmission Issues?

Please answer with as many responses as apply to you.

• I have experienced gear grinding (any gear)

Votes: 72 32.0%
  • I have experienced gear lockout (any gear)

Votes: 59 26.2%
  • I have experienced other trans-related issues (please explain)

Votes: 31 13.8%
  • Ford has replaced parts to address issues

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • Ford has replaced/rebuilt my transmission to address issues

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • I have installed aftermarket parts to address issues

Votes: 55 24.4%
  • I have not experienced any transmission issues

Votes: 96 42.7%

• Total voters

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I'm trying to get an idea of how widespread these issues are among new 5.0 owners. I posted the same thread in the Boss forum; if you don't have a Boss, please respond to this thread so we can how specific these issues are to Bosses.

As I'm sure many of you are aware, I've been trying to get the trans in my Boss repaired for quite some time due to high RPM gear lockout, occasional grinding, and heat-related hard shifting. To date they've replaced the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, TOB, slave cylinder, clutch hydraulic fluid (twice) and trans fluid, and are waiting on a shifter. Ford is requiring they do all this before authorizing a transmission teardown. As of today I have been without my car for 30 days, the minimum amount required to file for Lemon Law in the state of Texas.

If you are a member of other forums, please post this thread and link back to here. The more people we poll, the more likely we will be to get an accurate portrait of just how big this problem is. I know several have chimed in on my previous threads and posts with related issues.

01bluesnake

Established Member
When you say high rpm lockout and grinding, are you on the stock tune and rpm, or have you raised it above stock? I think a majority of the concerns come from raised rpm points above the stock tune. I'm surprised you are having such issues with a boss, the clutch is different from the stock gt, and a lot of the gt use the boss clutch as a upgrade, I know I will. Has Ford engineering driven the car and duplicated the concerns, or are the only happening once in a while with you as the driver?

I also voted no issues. Have went 11's on completely stock everything down to the fluid it came with and no issues. I have not raised my rev limit above stock though and shift at 65-700.

Last edited:

cbaty08

Established Member
Sounds liek we are in the same boat for having our pony in the shop over a month.

I'm on my 4th MT82 (1st had the PP bolt issue, 2nd had a whine in the first 500 miles, and the 3rd failed to go into 6th gear.. mind you these are JUST the major issues; they all had the same crappy characteristics of whine/lockouts/shift effort etc.)

Needless to say I have hired an attorney, as the BBB was just a waste of time, and Ford doesn't want to buy it back after I've asked them to; or even replace it.

Best of luck getting your tranny fixed, or winning a lemon case.:rockon:

01bluesnake

Established Member
My build is also 1/12, so not sure if maybe that has something to do with my luck of not having issues, as I may have revised parts built in mine already. Should maybe add in something for build date ranges with peoples issues, may help narrow it down.

Eric@jpc

Established Member
We have seen

Broken dowel pins on the flywheel
Locked in gear
Hard Shifts High RPM
Gear Grinding
Broken Clusters
among many other failures

This was all in our 2011 test car.

fake

Established Member
Nothing.
I switched out to Redline MTL at 600 miles. I have no grinds, lockouts, etc....
Dump the OEM fluid ASAP!

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
When you say high rpm lockout and grinding, are you on the stock tune and rpm, or have you raised it above stock?

TracKey only, which is an OEM tune covered under warranty.

I should add - it whined when I bought it (used with 3k miles) but the dealer tech "heard nothing wrong." The lockout and grinding usually happens at RPM above 6k and has been experienced mostly in 3rd and 5th, occasionally in 2nd. The dealer has been unable to replicate, but both my fiance and a friend have experienced lockout. One is a road course instructor and the other holds/held several stock 1/4 mile records, so I doubt it's our driving.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Sounds liek we are in the same boat for having our pony in the shop over a month.

I'm on my 4th MT82 (1st had the PP bolt issue, 2nd had a whine in the first 500 miles, and the 3rd failed to go into 6th gear.. mind you these are JUST the major issues; they all had the same crappy characteristics of whine/lockouts/shift effort etc.)

Needless to say I have hired an attorney, as the BBB was just a waste of time, and Ford doesn't want to buy it back after I've asked them to; or even replace it.

Best of luck getting your tranny fixed, or winning a lemon case.:rockon:

Yikes, that sucks. Most cases for buy backs are 30 days out of service in one year. You are saying that has not been applied in your case? Is your car stock or tuned/bolt ons?

01bluesnake

Established Member
TracKey only, which is an OEM tune covered under warranty.

I should add - it whined when I bought it (used with 3k miles) but the dealer tech "heard nothing wrong." The lockout and grinding usually happens at RPM above 6k and has been experienced mostly in 3rd and 5th, occasionally in 2nd. The dealer has been unable to replicate, but both my fiance and a friend have experienced lockout. One is a road course instructor and the other holds/held several stock 1/4 mile records, so I doubt it's our driving.

Ok. Have you installed a braided clutch line at all, for some that has helped. Ive found if I shift hard enough with stability on, I will get locked out/cut power of 4th while wot shifting, never has done it with traction or stability off so I don't worry. These trans do whine a little, and could be due to the tight internal clearance they run, which is why they have cooling fins and a air cooler direct on the boss. Have you tried running a better fluid? The new fluid is too thin in my opinion for any track use where the trans gets hot, but was thinned out because of firm shifting when cold.

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I have had my trans grind before. Usually on the 1-2 shift, done in anger. It has not happened since I installed an aftermarket shifter, bracket and clutch line. My trans also whines quite audibly...but this got worse with an aftermarket shifter as well (of course). Other than that, mine always goes into gear, cold or warm, and shifts quickly.

Mike

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Ok. Have you installed a braided clutch line at all, for some that has helped. Ive found if I shift hard enough with stability on, I will get locked out/cut power of 4th while wot shifting, never has done it with traction or stability off so I don't worry. These trans do whine a little, and could be due to the tight internal clearance they run, which is why they have cooling fins and a air cooler direct on the boss. Have you tried running a better fluid? The new fluid is too thin in my opinion for any track use where the trans gets hot, but was thinned out because of firm shifting when cold.

The car had an MGW installed by the previous owner by Ford techs at a Ford dealer. I had my current dealer use Motul 600 in the clutch hydraulics when it was all replaced. Other than that, I refuse to install a hundred nickel-and-dime parts to make a stock car work properly. Ford refused to authorize changing the trans fluid when the clutch etc was replaced, and at this point I'm not going to jeopardize my warranty by going against Ford's judgement - they make a poor decision, that's their bad, not mine.

chao5.0

Established Member
my '12 had a issue with locking me out of 3rd gear at times, happened twice during tx2k and once during a race the second during a upper rpm shift (i wasn't racing just trying to duplicate the problem). since i got my '13 i haven't had a issue and i've beat on this one the same as i did the '12 and i have yet to have an issue. what dealer has your car? i know certain dealers around the area are more customer friendly than others because they have a good rep and want to keep it.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Ok. Was just wondering, what has been done or not. Also, I wouldn't doubt the whine you are hearing is being increased by the Shifter as it is transferring sound.

It doesn't whine anymore...stopped around 5k miles ago. (Has around 16k now)

my '12 had a issue with locking me out of 3rd gear at times, happened twice during tx2k and once during a race the second during a upper rpm shift (i wasn't racing just trying to duplicate the problem). since i got my '13 i haven't had a issue and i've beat on this one the same as i did the '12 and i have yet to have an issue. what dealer has your car? i know certain dealers around the area are more customer friendly than others because they have a good rep and want to keep it.

Tomball. I don't have any major complaints with the dealer, Ford has their hands tied on their inability to admit a problem.

chao5.0

Established Member
It doesn't whine anymore...stopped around 5k miles ago. (Has around 16k now)

Tomball. I don't have any major complaints with the dealer, Ford has their hands tied on their inability to admit a problem.

having worked at shops before i know certain dealers can push things through, i don't deal with tomball because they tried to screw my dad over before on his truck. i usually drive over to planet ford or maybe even joe meyers, but i can see what your saying as far as the dealer waiting on ford. i read in another post how you were leaving the car on stock tune until they figure all this out. hopefully this gets taken care of for you soon.

cbaty08

Established Member
Yikes, that sucks. Most cases for buy backs are 30 days out of service in one year. You are saying that has not been applied in your case? Is your car stock or tuned/bolt ons?

She's all stock in terms of power-train; I've slammed her, added new clutchline/shifter/shifter bracket, different spoiler.. but nothing in regards to the power-train.

I can't tell you how much of a headache it has been (I've been a Ford guy my entire life, Built Ford Tough shifts to prove it!) but, with that said Ford has lost a customer for life on this one; on top of all my family members and friends who now vow to never buy a Ford.

I think their reasoning for not replacing it is because they are still having the very same issues they've had since day 1; knowing a replacement wouldn't satisfy me neither.

So now Ford is going to pay me in the end of this, hopefully.

Last edited:

corruptor

Established Member
I have had the 1->2 shift gear crunch since new. Only happens when cold. Requires me to drive the car for 15 minutes until it's fully warm before I can shift 1->2. Before it's warm, I double clutch and shift 1->3.

01bluesnake

Established Member
The first few poll options are pretty vague , because if you have ever had a gear grind or got locked out of gear, you could choose one even if its 1out of every 500th shift which can be more tend driver error. If a trans is bad, it will always grind that gear or always lock you out, they don't have the ability to fix themselves and the only variable is the driver and criteria the vehicle is being driven in. This trans is different from any other that was ever offered and takes time getting use to with shifting and clutch engagement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread