Have you rebuilt a Procharger?

01silverstang

Established Member
Background: I recently purchased a 96’ Cobra with 54k and a Procharger P-1SC kit and TKO600. I knew going into it that there were unknowns, I was told it had no serpentine belt as it had shredded, and that the TKO600 wasn’t shifting with the engine running.

I drained the oil in the Procharger and found that it had just under half the oil it should have, I already assumed it had a front seal leak as the timing cover and blower were dirty. So, I checked the oil with an extendable magnet and it didn’t have any debris or metal shavings. I replaced the front seal and filled it with a new bottle of oil from Procharger.

I installed it last weekend with a new Gates belt, and topped off the coolant and burped the system. I recently posted the video (which I will include) to my local Mustang page and was immediately told that it didn’t sound right and that it needed rebuilt. I wasn’t sure really what to expect from sound, this Procharger was sold in 2006 with straight cut gears, so I assumed it would be noisy.

I reached out the tech at Procharger who has been assisting me since purchase and he said it sounded like normal chatter due to straight cut gears. He said if it was bearings you would hear bad noise with revs, which didn’t happen as we revved the engine slightly to help get air out of the coolant system. He said I should make a post on the Procharger technical group to get feedback, which I did. Some people advised it didn’t sound right and others said it sounded normal.

Due to having recently purchased the vehicle I don’t have additional funds to send it to Procharger for a rebuild. So, if the consensus is that it has failing bearings and needs replacements then I need to figure out the most cost-effective way to do that. The rebuild kit online is $230, If anyone has part numbers, I might be able to get the bearings and seals a little cheaper. The part I do not feel comfortable with is the impeller shaft, as I don’t have a press and have heard that you need a special tool to install the high-speed seal without tearing it. I’ve reached out to some local shops to see if they could assist with that part but I haven’t heard back.

I would be grateful to any assistance you guys can provide.

01silverstang

Established Member
Is that also the power steering pump whining?
I think I’m going to replace the power steering pump.

I reached out to some friends that work there and the feedback is that the supercharger sounds normal but multiple people have advised the power steering pump does not. I’m guessing that may be the source of the noise and may also be impacting my idle.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

I reached out to some friends that work there and the feedback is that the supercharger sounds normal but multiple people have advised the power steering pump does not. I’m guessing that may be the source of the noise and may also be impacting my idle.

you seem to know what youre doing but make to burp that new pump real well before firing up the car. Front end up in the air and turn the wheel back and forth a bunch, keep topping off the res. Id definitely eliminate that noise then re-evaluate the blower

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

I thought I heard the blower under that whine. What I heard sounded normal. Prochargers aren't quiet. I'm guessing there's an open blow off valve too.

01silverstang

Established Member
I thought I heard the blower under that whine. What I heard sounded normal. Prochargers aren't quiet. I'm guessing there's an open blow off valve too.

Correct big red blow off valve in the pipe running down to the intercooler. I’m leaning towards a power steering pump that needs replaced.

01silverstang

Established Member
sounds like more PS pump than blower from what I can hear
If it’s not the power steering pump, it’s got to be idler, tensioner, or alternator. I’m going to pull the belt and work through them... if they are all good I’ll probably replace the power steering pump.

Users who are viewing this thread