Having trouble getting into first or reverse when stopped

03_uni-B

@03_uni_b
Established Member
Had some troubles lately with the t56.

I can't get into first when stopped, so I do the typical "try and put it in 2nd then into first" without any success.

For example. I come to a stop light, put it in neutral, let the clutch out to rest for the obnoxiously long light, then put the clutch in and try to put it in first and can't. So out of habit, I try second and back to first but it also won't go into 2nd. It will however go into 3rd, then easily into first.

If I shift into first or second before I stop then there's no issue.

Also struggle to get into reverse.

Previous owner said he had a centerforce clutch put in, and it appears to be an OEM cable, and quadrant.

Any idea's what is going on?

Last edited:

03_uni-B

@03_uni_b
Established Member
Also, I just changed the fluid in the trans as I have heard that has resolved some issues for people.

Figured I would start with the cheaper ideas.

Put Pennzoil Synchromesh in it.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Assuming the clutch is adjusted properly, I would take the inspection plate off the bellhousing and see what is going on with the throwout bearing and pressure plate. Have someone depress the clutch pedal while you're under there to observe. Your clutch cable may be ready to crap out too. That's the easy stuff. You might have to really tear into it, to get to the source of the problem.

03_uni-B

@03_uni_b
Established Member
Assuming the clutch is adjusted properly, I would take the inspection plate off the bellhousing and see what is going on with the throwout bearing and pressure plate. Have someone depress the clutch pedal while you're under there to observe. Your clutch cable may be ready to crap out too. That's the easy stuff. You might have to really tear into it, to get to the source of the problem.

Ya, the clutch cable was my next thing I planned to look into. Wanted to see if anyone else had similar symptoms and might be able to chime in.

When I pull that cover off and have someone do that, is there anything specific I need to be looking at or for? My knowledge on clutches is limited.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Classic symptoms of your cable being too loose. You need to tighten your cable. With stock setup, see the thread in how-to. But it is better to go with aftermarket firewall adjuster. Best of luck.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Stock set up you lift up hard on clutch pedal..has auto adjuster.

these will go bad..plastic..

a binding clutch cable will also do this.. it was my issue after all new parts..simple remove cable and oil fix..

I was at the point I had to shut car off..key on put in revese than start engine..

wish I knew about oiling cable before. .

broken tob or retainer will cause this also..

Last edited:

03_uni-B

@03_uni_b
Established Member
Great to hear. I'll work on the cable next! Thanks for the feedback guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mooch91

Established Member
Great to hear. I'll work on the cable next! Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have the same setup and was having the same problem.

My pedal was grabbing VERY close to the floor. If I put the clutch through the floorboard, I could shift in to 1st/reverse much easier. Not easy to put the clutch through the floorboard...

I don't know which technique tightens or loosens the cable, but what I found was that I actually needed to adjust the pedal/cable the OPPOSITE way of the auto-adjuster.

The auto-adjuster works when you pull up on the pedal. I actually had to push DOWN on the pedal slightly and push up on the plastic pawl under the dash. Like this article suggests:
http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/clutcha.htm

I adjusted it one or two clicks and the pedal grabs half-way up and shifting has been SO much easier.

Last edited:

03_uni-B

@03_uni_b
Established Member
Interesting. I'll take a closer look at that. Worth it before I buy a new cable.

With that in mind, where have you all bought OEM clutch cables?

mr. b_98GT

Established Member
I've been dealing with this issue for awhile now myself. Clutch and everything else is new with a little over 3k miles. I've recently installed a MM Firewall Adjuster, Quadrant, and Cable to see if it was the oem cable going out, but it still does this at stop lights or stop signs. I've been told that the syncros are going bad, so I'm saving up to have the transmission looked at and possibly rebuilt. I've tried tightening the cable, and it has helped, but it will still sometimes lock me out of all gears if I throw it in neutral and come to a dead stop. Transmission only has 28k miles, and there is no grinding issue and shifts well otherwise.

You can still get oem cables from the dealer, and MM sells one that is already set-up for a firewall adjuster, and the cable is made from the same company that makes the oem ones. I'd only go with a Ford cable or MM one.

slseals

Established Member
I continually had the same problem. I finally figured out that all I had to do was put my foot under the clutch and pop it up and it would go away. Now that I put the new Spec 3 in, I have the opposite problem, it doesn't catch until the very top of travel. I have a Steeda cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster sitting in my garage waiting for time to install.

Users who are viewing this thread