HD gurus in please

GTPvsSVT

crunk
Established Member
Any HD-DVD player produce an HD signal through RGB cables? My projector only has RGB cables...Surround sound is 7.1 surround and want the benifits of HD-DVD but my projector only has RGB connections....

Just wondering if there are any players out there that send the 1080i or 720p signals through the RGB.

Thanks,
Kent

I know my original x-box sends 1080i signal...there HAS to be an HD-DVD player out there...maybe another x-box??

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
doesn't your xbox use 3 video cables which are called component video and look like this
glx360cva103sy.jpg

if these are the cables then any dvd player nowadays has those outputs

slo-GT

Established Member
my dad has 1080i on his HD setup running through RGB cables. He has a Yamaha. Hope that helps........

Last edited:

GTPvsSVT

crunk
Established Member
well, blu-ray or hd-dvd...best buy told me there was no way to get HD through RGB cables...I told them my orig. x-box does it...

I want HD DVD or Blu-Ray, but don't want to buy one if i'm only able to watch movies in 480p

Thanks
Kent

Mullet

Established Member
Yes you can get HD through component cables. Buy a PS3 and you will be able to play blu-ray up to 1080p as well as be able to upscale any standard dvd's up to 1080p. Not to mention the PS3 has some good games coming out and if you buy it before September you get 5 free blu-ray movies.

GTPvsSVT

crunk
Established Member
can the PS3 decode all the high def. audio? I thought the x-box was having problems with this...hence going with just a player

Thanks

Mullet

Established Member
GTPvsSVT said:
can the PS3 decode all the high def. audio? I thought the x-box was having problems with this...hence going with just a player

Thanks
Yes it will output 5.1 surround with an optical cable. You are only going to get 7.1 surround with an HDMI connection.

Allanon

SVT Druid
Established Member
Are you sure the PS3 will output 1080p Blu Rays through component? The way I learned it was it had to be a digital connection to allow 1080p movies, ie HDMI or DVI (these will pass HDCP, component will not) The Xbox will play games at 1080p, HD-DVD's at up to 1080i, and sd DVD's at 480p via component.

Hey OP, what PJ do you have?????? Send me a PM if you need some help with it, I browse the AVS forums more than this one.....

Last edited:

GTPvsSVT

crunk
Established Member
ok, i think i got it...seems like when upconverting, the picture is 480p. This is fine, and as far as a high def pic goes, i can get up to 1080i with either hd-dvd or blu-ray. Now, i dont understand why i wouldn't be able to get the DTS-HD through an optical cable though...

Mullet

Established Member
Allanon said:
Are you sure the PS3 will output 1080p Blu Rays through component? The way I learned it was it had to be a digital connection to allow 1080p movies, ie HDMI or DVI (these will pass HDCP, component will not) The Xbox will play games at 1080p, HD-DVD's at up to 1080i, and sd DVD's at 480p via component.

Hey OP, what PJ do you have?????? Send me a PM if you need some help with it, I browse the AVS forums more than this one.....
Yes you can get full 1080p from component cables.
GTPvsSVT said:
ok, i think i got it...seems like when upconverting, the picture is 480p. This is fine, and as far as a high def pic goes, i can get up to 1080i with either hd-dvd or blu-ray. Now, i dont understand why i wouldn't be able to get the DTS-HD through an optical cable though...
It will. According to the PS3 site you will be able to get dts-hd5.1 but not dts-hd7.1. I don't know if that goes for all players or just the ps3, avsforum would probably know.
http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/PS3/GettingStarted/default.html

Allanon

SVT Druid
Established Member
Mullet said:
Yes you can get full 1080p from component cables.
[/URL]

For games yes, for Blu-Ray movies, no. Here is it from the Sony link you provided

"Copyright-protected Blu-ray video discs can only be output at 1080p using an HDMI cable connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) standard."

Last edited:

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
:rockon: You can get 720P out of RBG cables. RBG are comparible to components (Red,Green, And Blue) As far as 7.1 is concerned I am not sure. Im not sure if HD DVD can support 7.1. You will need to look on the back of the DVD Box and check. For some food for thought, you will need a good receiver capable of having the DTS-HD decoder. By using this it will convert the DVD's to 7.1. Im sure the new Denons/Pioneer Elite/Yamaha will have it on there along with the release of HDMI 1.3. Hope this helps a little!

And Btw, text book wise you can transmit a 1080p output through a component video cable. It just won't look as good. I'd reccomend HDMI is you can get away with it for 1080p. Monster does a lot of enginerring in their cables as well as audio quest. They claim that different cables alot for different bandwith. Take the information how you want it, they are just saying that there $169 4ft HDMI M series cable that is 1080P and ISF approved is better than the $10 internet NewEgg HDMI online special cable. Would i spend the extra $169 if i had a sony 300 bluray and a 52" XBR5? Hell yes.. I guess its like using Bosche spark plugs vs NGK. They might work almost near the same but it provides you with a piece of mind knowing you are using the best of the best.
GTPvsSVT said:
Any HD-DVD player produce an HD signal through RGB cables? My projector only has RGB cables...Surround sound is 7.1 surround and want the benifits of HD-DVD but my projector only has RGB connections....

Just wondering if there are any players out there that send the 1080i or 720p signals through the RGB.

Thanks,
Kent

I know my original x-box sends 1080i signal...there HAS to be an HD-DVD player out there...maybe another x-box??

Last edited:

Mullet

Established Member
Allanon said:
For games yes, for Blu-Ray movies, no. Here is it from the Sony link you provided

"Copyright-protected Blu-ray video discs can only be output at 1080p using an HDMI cable connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) standard."
I can't find a definitive yes/no on this topic. I thought i remember reading no blu-ray discs out were enforcing this standard but I could be mistaken.

Morale of the story: use HDMI you will get max audio/video quality over one simple cheap cable.

DravenGSX

Established Member
The people at Best Buy are idiots. Of course you can run HD through components.

People that claim HDMI is better because it's digital don't understand the technology. If you have a run longer than 15-20 feet, you will require extremely high quality (read: expensive) HDMI cables. Or the good old standard components which will run for 100+ feet with no degradation.

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
Not everyone that works at Best Buy is an idiot. I work in the premium audio/video section over there called "Magnolia Home Theater". Talk to the Mag employees, they know what the hell they are talking about.

Btw, for that long of a drop for HDMI 20-30 feet your looking at like $400 bucks! Crap adds up. Whats funny is there used to be a old myth saying you couldn't run HDMI any loner than like 20 feet a few years ago, I guess monster and audioquest proved it to be false. :)
:coolman:
DravenGSX said:
The people at Best Buy are idiots. Of course you can run HD through components.

People that claim HDMI is better because it's digital don't understand the technology. If you have a run longer than 15-20 feet, you will require extremely high quality (read: expensive) HDMI cables. Or the good old standard components which will run for 100+ feet with no degradation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread