HD IRS Cross Member

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Question for those who've installed this. How much of a PITA is this to do? Can I do it without taking the whole thing down like I did for the springs? I've had this thing sitting around since spring and it still hasn't gone on, I would have done it when I did my springs and bushings but didn't have a 21mm socket for the big bolts.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I didn't drop the IRS when I installed mine. The biggest pain I had was getting to the nut for the control arm bolt.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Have no fear, just be patient and take your time. I did it without dropping my suspension as well.

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
Ozz, I did it on mine. Although I did it when I dropped the IRS. You should have a torque wrench for when you re-torque the control arm bolt. I can get you the specs if you want. My weekends have just been full. You really need two people to do it w/o killing yourself w/ frustration.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
I have the Ford service manual at home so I can double-check, that 110 was just a ball-park figure from memory.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
pick up some poly bushings for the brace while you're in there. They don't cost much and you have to drop the brace to install them I think. I did mine on my back in my garage without dropping the IRS. You can do it. You may need a mallet to beat it into submission. Also, little tip, keep the bolts IN the control arms. Don't pull them all the way out. But, pull them almost flush with the outside of the control arm bushing. That's the easiest way to get the brace to line up properly. It's a tight fit.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
I was thinking that there would be some alignment issues if the bolt was pulled all the way anyway. Either the arm would sag or need to be jacked back into place.

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
Ok

Not too bad, you will want a big breaker bar though, those bolts are on T I G H T!

I did not drop the IRS or anything else when I did mine.

Users who are viewing this thread