HD Radio....worth it?

aaandht

Established Member
Anyone have it? We were just installing an HD receiver on my boss' car today but it appears the receiver was DOA. It got me thinking, I need a new head unit for my car, and I was planning on gettin sat radio, but I just found a head unit with built in HD. I like the fact that it has no monthly cost, and NYC has an HD country station(big thing I like about XM/Sirius). Does anyone have an HD radio, is it just a gimmick or is it worth it?

stangin99

Established Member
I don't have it, but heard it's a gimmick. There are already a bunch of normal radio stations that broadcast in their old frequency in "HD" so you're basically paying for the headunit to get the same stations on a different frequency that are in "HD".

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Google is your friend -

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-7uHYE2cm4lS/learningcenter/car/hdradio.html
What is HD Radio™?

HD Radio is an upgrading of the way AM and FM radio signals are transmitted, from analog to digital signals. Sounds neat. But what does that mean for us listeners?

HD Radio technology allows broadcasters to transmit a high-quality digital signal. For listeners who have an HD Radio receiver, the benefits are:

* FM radio with near CD-quality sound
* AM radio that sounds as good as traditional FM
* No more static, pops, crackles or fades
* Transmission of additional information, such as song titles and artists
* Increased listening options with multicasting
* Tagging a song for later purchase through the iTunes® Store

Let's take a look at each of these in turn.

Ltd10th03cobra

3.4 Whipple Crusher 22psi
Established Member
HD radio is mostly only in big cities like atlanta and so on. My town doesn't transmit anything on HD radio. My deck is capable of having the HD tuner but I decided against it due to the service being unavailable.

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
I had it in my '05 when I changed the head unit out. I listened to it for ~2 minutes and went back to my Sirius. :shrug:

I'm biased though because I've been listening to Sirius for 3 years now. :banana:

aaandht

Established Member
Google is your friend -

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-7uHYE2cm4lS/learningcenter/car/hdradio.html
What is HD Radio™?

HD Radio is an upgrading of the way AM and FM radio signals are transmitted, from analog to digital signals. Sounds neat. But what does that mean for us listeners?

HD Radio technology allows broadcasters to transmit a high-quality digital signal. For listeners who have an HD Radio receiver, the benefits are:

* FM radio with near CD-quality sound
* AM radio that sounds as good as traditional FM
* No more static, pops, crackles or fades
* Transmission of additional information, such as song titles and artists
* Increased listening options with multicasting
* Tagging a song for later purchase through the iTunes® Store

Let's take a look at each of these in turn.

I know google is my friend, I just wanted to hear real world responses, not responses from someone trying to sell me it....

Users who are viewing this thread