Header Question

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
Do you guys think long tube headers are worth the price? And I have heard to use AR or Kooks. JBAs look about the same?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Depends on mods. If you have full bolt ons and a bigger supercharger, I'd say yes. I regret my decision to not run cats, but I'll remedy that one of these days.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Noise and smell. Although my real motivation is that I just have a feeling eventually we will be required to have them for inspection. I intend to go with the GESI cats when I go back. I'm not sure how much it will help with noise, although it can't hurt at this point.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
They are better than the logs, but you wont be blown away by their flow. The Ford FRPP shorties were very popular for our friends in CA because they came with a CARB EO number and got a little better performance than the logs.

***EDIT***

My information was incorrect. Called Ford Performance ON 4/12/19 and they confirmed they were NOT 50 state legal on their own. As metioned by @Totalpkg when used with the now unavailable SVT drag pack P/N: M-2007-FR2SVT they were 50 state. My guess is that they were similar to how the Whipple 2.9 was 50 state legal when used with the FRPP calibration that came with the kit.

My sincere apologies for the confusion. I will keep my original statement and the correction so there is no confusion going forward.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If smog isnt an issue in your state with long tubes. Then i would recommend going with AR long tubes with your choice of mid pipe. I would also recommend ceramic coating. If modded your gain could be 30hp to the wheels.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Noise and smell. Although my real motivation is that I just have a feeling eventually we will be required to have them for inspection. I intend to go with the GESI cats when I go back. I'm not sure how much it will help with noise, although it can't hurt at this point.
What are GESI cats? Good flow? They for sure will slighty tone down the exhaust

sleek98

Established Member

They are what Kooks uses for their "green" cats. They are rated at 500-800 hp each, so 1,000-1,600 hp for the duals.

If I needed to add cats they are the only versions I would use.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
They are what Kooks uses for their "green" cats. They are rated at 500-800 hp each, so 1,000-1,600 hp for the duals.

Good to know. Cause i know alot of the supposed high flow cats were failing on the gt500 with tvs, whipple and kb.

enormous

Established Member
I went with SW paired with their high flow cats and do not regret it. So far I have 25,000 miles on the SW high flow cats and recently inspected the SW cats and they appeared new.
My 08 was tuned by Lidio at Alternative Performance in Mi. 740 RWHP and 730 TQ

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
GESI is Global Emissions Systems Inc. and have developed universal catalysts that can stand up to high horsepower engines. They're priced accordingly. Vibrant Performance sells them. Vibrant Link

Last edited:

merkyworks

Established Member
I think LT are definitely a worthwhile mod, log manifolds hold a lot of back pressure. If I could do it all over again, wish I would have gotten my LT's ceramic coated before installing them.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
They are better than the logs, but you wont be blown away by their flow. The Ford FRPP shorties were very popular for our friends in CA because they came with a CARB EO number and got a little better performance than the logs.

Did the FRPP get a CARB EO? I never seen any info. that they were 50 state legal certified. If I remember correctly, they were labeled as "off road" back in the day.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Im not a fan of jba they have had lots of quality issues over the years

When was the last time that you have heard of JBA quality issues? I remember quality issues before Pertronix bought them, but that was 6-8 years ago, in fact Pertronox had me send back an X-Pipe that I had bought from Shelby as part of the full 3" Super Snake 700 exhaust system, but there was no issue with the replacement they sent.

^^^If fact Pertronix did not even have to replace the pipe that I bought from JBA before they owned the brand, especially when it had not been purchased direct, but instead through Shelby. They stood behind it........Pretty good customer service. I have not heard any recent complaints about JBA, recent being in the past 6+ years....

...........and I believe JBA has spent the extra bucks to get the CARB EO for the 2007-2014 GT500 shorty's, but I have not heard any install feedback.

R

Totalpkg

Established Member
Cleveland,OH, USA or Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member

There is a smokin’ deal on EBay for the Roush branded version of the Kooks catted x-pipe right now for anyone interested & Lethal usually has Kooks LTs on sale at the typical times of year. If I was considering LTs this would be like getting them new for used prices.

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread