Header/X-pipe install question

CJsV8Bird

How much am I looking at paying a shop to install headers and a x pipe (already have flowmaster cat-back) on a 96 Cobra?

Thanks.

Mystic 544

Established Member
4V Headers are not an easy instal and take a lot of time.
If I remember right, most shops will charge 6-8 hours of labor. If you are already doing the headers the X pipe shouldn't really add much time to the instal.
Good Luck

MeanMystic

Established Member
a freind and I installed my BBK L/T in his garage. Took a while, gearwrenches made the job alot easier. If I remember correctly you will not see much of a hp gain with shorties (maybe 3rwhp).

Mystic 544

Established Member
not see much of a hp gain with shorties (maybe 3rwhp).

I have the JBA's and saw just under 13 rwhp after their instal and the addition of 80mm Pro-M. The 4V really flies through the upper RPM's with better flowing headers.

:beer:

MeanMystic

Established Member
Originally posted by Mystic 544
I have the JBA's and saw just under 13 rwhp after their instal and the addition of 80mm Pro-M. The 4V really flies through the upper RPM's with better flowing headers.

:beer:

So you added a Pro-M and Headers and got 13rwhp. So how much did the Headers add and How much did the Pro-M add. I would Imagine most of the gain was from the Pro-M.

CJsV8Bird

mean....

Do you drive you mystic very often? I've never seen it around. There was another one here in elkhart, but, I haven't seen it in a long time.

MeanMystic

Established Member
Originally posted by ChicksDigTheSVT
mean....

Do you drive you mystic very often? I've never seen it around. There was another one here in elkhart, but, I haven't seen it in a long time.

I drive it when I get the chance to, Last time I think I was anywere close to Elkart was a couple years ago at a car show in South Bend. My Mystic is kindof hard to miss, It has the Cobra painted on the hood in color changing paints (PPG Harliquin's). Right now it is winter storage :( But I might get it out for the power fest thing going on in indy (if it still happens).

Mystic 544

Established Member
I'm sure the 80mm Pro-M added a couple of ponies, but the majority came from the headers. You can check the JBA web site, they have dyno results posted up there.
Here is a picture of my stock and JBA header...as you can see there was a ton of room for improvement!

SVTMUST97

Established Member
I gain about 25hp / 23tq from BBK Lt header. First dyno 280hp / 275tq. with shorty FMM header. Then I change header and dyno it 305hp /298 tq. There is a differences. Eric 97

CJsV8Bird

Mean-

Kind of weird, but a few weeks ago, the guy I bought my mystic off of was talking about one he saw at a show in South Bend. He didn't say anything about the Cobra painted on the hood, but, he said something about scales being painted on the side of it.

When you said you went to a show in SB, I was wondering if it could've been you. I asked him about it. He said it was you. Same paint (cobra and scales), same spoiler, same wheels.

Just thought it was kind of weird how that worked out.

lol

USMCracing

Established Member
Don't fear the Long Tube. Its not that hard. I did mine on my 96 Cobra by my self. The best way (easier with a friend) is to pull the K member. Get Stag 8 locking header bolts. After I got my headers I didn't want to try and do it my self. But I got bored one day and jacked her up and started pulling bolts. You'll be very happy with the BBK L/T. When I first took her out and got on it for the first time, I saw that the red line come allot faster now. Save your self $400 and do it your self, you'll feel better doing it your self to. Just think "Wow I did that and they don't leak" and your Cobra will like you more too.

Users who are viewing this thread