Heads/cam viper vs built Whipple Cobra

badmpg03

Established Member
Race into a beautiful blue gen5 viper this morning.
I left a coffee/car meet and was cruising along the freeway in the 04.
I see the viper and we start pacing each other through traffic. I down shift to 4th, do a little pull in front of him to 90 or so for kicks. he keeps up.

60 seconds later, we caught an open stretch of road, I'm in the fast lane and he's one over.
I down shift to 3rd doing about 60. We line up and I immediately start to count it off with my right hand. Just before I get to "three" I look over at him and he was counting it off with his hands as well a little slower...anyway I mash it, car dead hooks, but I did jump him on the start, and shot out about 1/2 a car...I stay in it and I short shift to 4th, 5900 ish rpm. He's right there and jumps back even with me. 4th is acting lazy from the short shift from 3rd and he starts pulling past me, and now I'm about 1/2 a car back. I keep the throttle pinned until 7K. Car is freight training and was back door to door with him by 140! Great freaking race.

On the shifting, my clutch is acting a little funny high RPMs, so I shifted early to make sure I could hit 4th. But from 5500-7000 the car just pulls hard.
The viper - goes by sneakysnakes on youtube. Looks like hes heads/cam and stroker motor.

EDIT : Well the guy video'd it

Only pic I got of the car lol..

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Alex is a great dude and drives well. Super impressive you rolled with him close!

Sent from my Potato

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hats off to you staying with him. Would be cool to watch you race from a dig, and a re-run from a roll.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hats off to you staying with him. Would be cool to watch you race from a dig, and a re-run from a roll.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I think the Viper would have the advantage from a dig. The roll is tough though, depending on the speed, it will throw one of them out of their desire powerband level.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Good run, car looks sick also. Nice to run into another fast car on the highway. Most of the time I see one I'm in my truck.....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think the Viper would have the advantage from a dig. The roll is tough though, depending on the speed, it will throw one of them out of their desire powerband level.
Like I said, it would be cool to see a dig race.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I was wondering what the viper made while reading, then the vid title says 720whp viper...haha. Definitely would have been better off shifting higher, but looked like a nice close one. I'd say with your jump, then short shift it probably evened out that advantage of the hit from you. How do Vipers do from a dig? Haven't seen too many of them at the track, so I just don't know.
I'd love to hear the viper at idle too. Haven't heard a cammed one before either.

badmpg03

Established Member
I was wondering what the viper made while reading, then the vid title says 720whp viper...haha. Definitely would have been better off shifting higher, but looked like a nice close one. I'd say with your jump, then short shift it probably evened out that advantage of the hit from you. How do Vipers do from a dig? Haven't seen too many of them at the track, so I just don't know.
I'd love to hear the viper at idle too. Haven't heard a cammed one before either.

youtube sneakysnakes and you'll get all the cammed goodness .

I think from a dig it would be ugly, but I'd give it a go.
60 -140 would be best for me. I'll try and run him again soon

99BOSS

Established Member
Great runs! Launching a viper hard from a dig is tricky. They are light but can burn the tires for a block no problem. I think they're actually stronger from a roll due to the tall gearing and traction is usually out of the equation by then. For example, I can go to 2nd gear at 60mph and the tach is reading 4K, right in its sweet spot. You floor it and it just takes off so hard at that speed and you pull till 6500 or 95ish mph, then 3rd which is its killer freeway gear, even longer yet and my car is pretty stock. Sneakys car with a heads/cam 9 liter would be nuts from a roll. So your Cobra did very well. I had a 04 Cobra with pullied, ported stock blower and my Viper would take it easily. Now a built, Whipple Cobra like yours would be a good run as the video shows. I do think the longer you had run it, the Viper would pull ahead. They are just runners on the freeway, not drag strip kings.

badmpg03

Established Member
Great runs! Launching a viper hard from a dig is tricky. They are light but can burn the tires for a block no problem. I think they're actually stronger from a roll due to the tall gearing and traction is usually out of the equation by then. For example, I can go to 2nd gear at 60mph and the tach is reading 4K, right in its sweet spot. You floor it and it just takes off so hard at that speed and you pull till 6500 or 95ish mph, then 3rd which is its killer freeway gear, even longer yet and my car is pretty stock. Sneakys car with a heads/cam 9 liter would be nuts from a roll. So your Cobra did very well. I had a 04 Cobra with pullied, ported stock blower and my Viper would take it easily. Now a built, Whipple Cobra like yours would be a good run as the video shows. I do think the longer you had run it, the Viper would pull ahead. They are just runners on the freeway, not drag strip kings.

I'd say mine also leans as more roll runner. Mainly due to the older 2.9L gen 2 and spinning it fairly slow making (19-20lbs), so car only makes the big power way up top; 5800-7100 rpm. Honestly under that, HP/TQ curve looks same as a 2.3 setup.

Users who are viewing this thread