Heads to the chopping block

ViciousJay

Established Member
Well... duh duh dug it happened today. I had to term 3500+ employees including myself which I"m taking it with two sides. The first is pissed I got let go but the second is working in the health field I have a better chance of getting less explosive to Covid.

I just found out my cousin just got tested positive including her husband (in chicago at NW and CCH) which freaks me. I'm not worried about getting a new position but is anyone feeling this?

Last edited:

Bronze123

Established Member
It’s all around man. I’m essential and working still but hours are cut to max 40. Bonuses are cut to Damn near nothing. 401k Match has been suspended until further notice.

meanwhile we had employees who went from furlough status for a few weeks to now laid off. Folks with twenty plus years. Lost all their seniority and health benefits.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
sorry to hear it man.

We've got people upset because their quarterly bonus is being delayed (not even canceled, just delayed). It's getting ugly out there and DC is being their usual useless selves.

nxhappy

Established Member
First off, sorry for your job loss. BUT have no fear. in 2 weeks Donny T is putting Americans back to work. IMO it has to be done. At what point do we sacrifice people and save our economy? It's not like we have 20% dead. Hell, not even 10%. People are going to live in fear for a while. That's just the norm. Is the rona dangerous? Shit yeah it is. But the numbers don't make sense to me. People live in fear, and they feed from the media. **** that, life is too short. we CAN'T worry about every little thing.

Adower

Established Member
First off, sorry for your job loss. BUT have no fear. in 2 weeks Donny T is putting Americans back to work. IMO it has to be done. At what point do we sacrifice people and save our economy? It's not like we have 20% dead. Hell, not even 10%. People are going to live in fear for a while. That's just the norm. Is the rona dangerous? Shit yeah it is. But the numbers don't make sense to me. People live in fear, and they feed from the media. **** that, life is too short. we CAN'T worry about every little thing.

Trump isn’t putting anyone to work. I’m sure a few smaller states will start to ease restrictions in a couple weeks but the larger states are going to lag.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Well... duh duh dug it happened today. I had to term 3500+ employees including myself which I"m taking it with two sides. The first is pissed I got let go but the second is working in the health field I have a better chance of getting less explosive to Covid.

I just found out my cousin just got tested positive including her husband (in chicago at NW and CCH) which freaks me. I'm not worried about getting a new position but is anyone feeling this?

you’re in the health field but huge layoffs? What sector are you in?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Trump isn’t putting anyone to work. I’m sure a few smaller states will start to ease restrictions in a couple weeks but the larger states are going to lag.

When did Texas become small? Arizona, Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Georgia? Nvm... the list of states opening before May is too long.

Stupid post is stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
you’re in the health field but huge layoffs? What sector are you in?

This is not a surprise to me. Hospitals are taking care of Corona patients almost exclusively right now. Elective surgeries are postponed indefinitely, which are what makes hospitals the most money. People are not going to the doctor or the hospital even for things they probably should, out of fear of getting Corona.

As a result people who are not directly part of treating Corona at the hospital have had reduced hours. My mother is in this exact situation. Her hours were reduced and there are fears of layoffs as the hospital is struggling to make enough money to operate. People don’t understand that the economic lockdown has far reaching implications, even in the fields that are considered essential.

We are at the tipping point where the cure is worse than the disease. It’s time for America to get back to work. We never should have stopped to be honest. Should have told the old and immune compromised to self isolate while those of us that are young and have a much less than 1% chance of dying from this virus continue to work. I called this day one of the lockdown.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
This is not a surprise to me. Hospitals are taking care of Corona patients almost exclusively right now. Elective surgeries are postponed indefinitely, which are what makes hospitals the most money. People are not going to the doctor or the hospital even for things they probably should, out of fear of getting Corona.

As a result people who are not directly part of treating Corona at the hospital have had reduced hours. My mother is in this exact situation. Her hours were reduced and there are fears of layoffs as the hospital is struggling to make enough money to operate. People don’t understand that the economic lockdown has far reaching implications, even in the fields that are considered essential.

We are at the tipping point where the cure is worse than the disease. It’s time for America to get back to work. We never should have stopped to be honest. Should have told the old and immune compromised to self isolate while those of us that are young and have a much less than 1% chance of dying from this virus continue to work. I called this day one of the lockdown.

That's a side to it I definitely didn't think of. I guess I assumed people like doctors or surgeons would pivot to roles where they would still be required, but I guess if your expertise is only in one area, then it makes sense. That really blows, I thought the medical field would be safe. I work for a medical technology company, and we've been fed that our services are "essential", much like a lot of other companies that went through layoffs I imagine.

Hope everyone impacted by the layoffs lands on their feet in the near future.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
OB department closed at our hospital which was totally unrelated, the RNs who went to med/surg, day surgery, just got furloughed. No elective surgeries.

Prayers to those who are enduring lay-offs, pay cuts, job loss.

7upstang

Established Member
Laid off half of my staff, my sales are down nearly 90% for this month. Next month we will probably lay everyone off. Really is disheartening to watch the company I built for the last 12 years crumble.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Hate to hear that news, I'm hoping things can get back to normal sooner than later. My wife and I have made out alright, she was out of work for several weeks due to staying home with our son and finally got the green light to work from home. My pay is 100% commission and even with my company helping out I am making probably 60% of what I should be at this time of the year.

Either way I am very lucky to have an employer helping out because otherwise I would be screwed. We stuck the stimulus money in savings and if things can start getting back on track I won't have to touch it but if this goes on much longer I'm gonna have to start pulling money out to keep up.

C2tuck

Established Member
Same here. Had to let a few guys go as well. We are doubly screwed as my business is an oilfield service company. We had to reduce our rates pretty drastically to keep work a couple months ago, guys agreed to take a cut as well to stay working. Then went from 2 fleets running non-stop down to one, so I let a couple more guys go and have been back out here in the field with one other operator for the last month. We are blessed though, we have about 6 more weeks of work before we take a break for however long. We will be back once demand and oil price come back up and reserves start being used up. Gonna be awhile though I’m sure...

M91196

Established Member
Laid off half of my staff, my sales are down nearly 90% for this month. Next month we will probably lay everyone off. Really is disheartening to watch the company I built for the last 12 years crumble.

Ugh
Are you a non essential industry?

Will you bounce back?

7upstang

Established Member
Ugh
Are you a non essential industry?

Will you bounce back?

Technically, we fall under essential when I read the rules. However, we do interior window coverings, I would say no one wants us in there house, but that's not true. We are still doing installs for jobs sold before this virus. I believe it's the economy, people just aren't spending money.

I'll survive, but rebuilding will more than likely take years. We manufacture our product and distribute through wholesale to other dealers like myself.

shurur

Established Member
It’s all around man. I’m essential and working still but hours are cut to max 40. Bonuses are cut to Damn near nothing. 401k Match has been suspended until further notice.

meanwhile we had employees who went from furlough status for a few weeks to now laid off. Folks with twenty plus years. Lost all their seniority and health benefits.

I expect to hear more stories like this. I suspected that Companies would start using the situation to dump older workers.

Watch for management bonuses to be the first thing handed out once the economy starts up again.

nxhappy

Established Member
Technically, we fall under essential when I read the rules. However, we do interior window coverings, I would say no one wants us in there house, but that's not true. We are still doing installs for jobs sold before this virus. I believe it's the economy, people just aren't spending money.

I'll survive, but rebuilding will more than likely take years. We manufacture our product and distribute through wholesale to other dealers like myself.
hang in there brother. you will survive. hopefully this shit blows over fast and the economy booms quickly. I think by 4th of july we will see more regularity.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I work for the Texas Legislature, no lay offs here. In fact, we are still hiring. All interviews are being done remotely now.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member

This is absolutely backwards.
The smaller states, NY,NJ,CT,DE are all the ones pushing back. the larger states are ready to get going again.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
People are pushing back against j/o Tom Wolf in Harrisburg this afternoon. Patience is being expelled for anger and rightfully so.

Users who are viewing this thread