Headunit replacement -- stock speaker/amps (2003 only)

lethal

Established Member
All-

I mentioned in a thread a while back I was going to try to integrate an aftermarket stereo with the existing Mach 460 speakers and amplifers. I tried to find the old thread, but it was lost... and search is down. I'll bookmark this one and keep it updated.

This is phase one, in an effort to find out how modular the system is and to be able to replace the stock head unit and use everything else. I also wanted to get my ipod integrated with a head unit... at first I just wanted to power and get line level outs, by the time I looked at the offerings, I decided a full on HU was needed. Big thanks to Racerat (Tracy) for turning me on to the Alpine ipod module.

So, here it is (parts list):

1. Head unit with speaker outs and rca outs (mine is a Alpine CDA-9835).
2. Metra part # 70-5519 (wiring harness).
3. Metra part # 99-5026 (mounting kit).
Of course, I also needed:
4. Ipod (duh).
5. Alpine KCA-420i Ipod module.

Now, this idea was not my own, it was done after a bunch of research. The kit is made for a 2001+ Lincoln with the Mach 460. The two main premises I went with are:

1. The subs (all four) are driven by rear amps.
2. The tweeters (all four) are driven by the head unit, and are crossed over to prevent low frequencies from destroying them.

The wiring is very straight forward. The most important thing of note is, the subs handle mid bass and lows, so if your head unit has sub and full audio outs, it is important you use full outs. For the connections, you'll see amp turn on leads (2) from the wiring harness, those both were wired to the remote turn on lead from the HU. The same thing goes for the negative (amp -) leads. I suspect those are a method to reduce noise, either way my radio had a hookup, so I used them.

For instance, my radio (Alpine CDA-9835) has three sets of outputs for front/rear/subs. I connected the RCA's on the adapter kit to the rear line outs. This enables me to have a seperate set of outputs for any subs I expect to add. The high level outputs were run directly to the four tweeters. Now, my unit has built in electronic crossovers, so I tuned the front channel to a cutoff frequency at 6000Hz and the cross over handles 12db/octave. For non-audio people, it simply means that if you do not have a cross over in your head unit, you will have to add limiting capacitors inline between the radio and the harness that goes to the car. You can get these at Radio Shack, you'll need four, one for each of the high level outs. They wire in serially with either the positive or negative lead.

When I went and tested everything, it sounded fine. I'm going to take a few days to get everything tuned up in my car, got a friend with a DB meter and we'll tune up the channels, make sure the crossovers are correct, and that's it for now.

I added the KCA-420i module and it totally kicsk ass, my ipod is charging and ready to use (see pic below). I have included more pictures at my site here. Please be nice, I host my web services from the house. The video is out of focus at times, just to give you the idea how it looks/works.

04_ipodupclose.jpg

Total investment:

1. Metra kits $33.12 shipped (audioallies.com).
2. Alpine CDA-9835 $398.95 shipped (ebay.com).
3. Alpine Ipod KCA-420i $105 shipped (crutchfield.com).
4. Apple Ipod 40 GB gen 4 $425 shipped (apple.com).

Total investment: $962.07, and worth every penny. :thumbsup:

Now, this goes without saying, your mileage may vary, not all head units are the same, I chose one based on my needs. I am not responsible in any way if you mess anything up, I just tried my best to give you a path you can go down.

OK, this was thrown together, and I'm headed out for today. Also, add to that the requirment of my family to keep bothering me whilst I work. Feel free to PM me or drop an email to: [email protected]

Phase II will be more fun, going to keep the Mach460 amps for the mids and replace the highs with JL Audio powered by another amp + two JL Audio subs (12W3's).

Later.

John

nothing

nothing
Established Member
awesome..write up..everything i needed

i was jsut about to order that head unit and the ipod adapter. was wondering how to connect to amps or if i had to bypass them.

thanks!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread