Heard the loudest detonation yet

Stanger00

Established Member
I had some old gas in my tank and went WOT and when the tires broke it instantly hit 7k rpms. Heard a gun shot from under the hood... I thought the worst and shut it down as fast I could. Checked plugs the next day.

Here is what I found:

juruvadu.jpg

5-8
unarugud.jpg

1-4
u8erype6.jpg

Excuse the micro fiber abuse.

Guess I got lucky. I need to get my fuel line installed so I can run e-85 to avoid these detonation scares. For those that don't know 9.5:1 compression 16lbs of boost at 6500 running 91 octane and 15* of timing with TFS 2 valve heads.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Dude you need to stop playin around on 91, and get on E85 asap.. Shit destroys motors

Stanger00

Established Member
Detonation sounds like marbles in a can, not a single gunshot.

I agree with you. It literally sounded like a nitrous backfire in the intake. Usually, I would hear the backfire in the mid pipe but it came from the engine bay.

+1

That wasn't detonation. You either had a back fire or blew a pipe off. I've blown pipes off before and they're loud as hell.

All pipe connections are secured with T-Bolt clamps and the ends of the pipes have knurls in them to help keep them from blowing sleeves off.

I would say going WOT with bad gas is maybe contraindicated.

Yup, lapse of judgement on my part.

Dude you need to stop playin around on 91, and get on E85 asap.. Shit destroys motors

I hear ya! Will get my fuel line taken care of soon. Been waiting to finish school. Just took my last final last night.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
My car did the same thing when I shipped the car to AL. The gas had been sitting for a couple weeks.. Got it to AL and the same thing you're describing happened.. Drained it and threw in fresh 93 and problem was gone

Krwy

Established Member
The plugs look okay, but in order to properly read plugs, you have to pull them after a pass, so no idle time, idle time will clean up the plugs. The ground strap isn't melted, and it doesn't look like there is any peppering from detonation. You probably had just a bit of a lean pop. Today's fuel sucks, sits for a few months and starts gelling up. 91 does not destroy motors, and e85 wont make it any better if the tune is off. As long as you run new, clean fuel and the tune is good, you're okay.

nxhappy

Established Member
run a can of torco in your tank. It's cheap insurance.

meth is also a good idea.

Doesn't sound like you had detonation, and the plugs look oK. it was probably an exhaust backfire.

Users who are viewing this thread