Heat Exchanger Fans

rthouck

Established Member
I've noticed a few people doing their own heat exchangers, I have an AFCO already so I have no need for that but I do like the idea of some fans. However the $300 + kit they sell doesn't really appeal to me.

I've seen some various options for fans which range from the ebay cheapo's to the Flexalite 106 and a few inbetween.

Flexalite 106:
Flow: 340 / 800 CFM
Size: 6.5" x 6.5" x 2.5"
Draw: 4 / 6.3 amps
Price: $96.26 (shipped)

One of the Ebay models:
Flow: 300 CFM
Size: 6.5" x 8.25" x 2.5"
Draw: 4.8 amps
Price: $24 (shipped) - Durability potentially an issue

Spal 30100403 6.5" fan
Flow: 330 CFM
Size: 7" x 7.24" x 2"
Draw: 6.3 amps
Price: 64.95 MSRP (50-60 ebay)

Yamaha R1 replacement fan
Flow: 1100 CFM (maybe a different method of rating)
Size: 7" blade (guessing body is maybe 7.5 - 8"?)
Draw: 3 amps
Price: 49.95 plus shipping - durability shouldn't be a problem

Someone out there has to have done this already so any thoughts or opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Save your money, for the average street car fans will impede airflow through the H/E core rather than help it. If you actively drag race your car at the track and have cool down time between rounds the fans might be worth it.

Last edited:

bad93svt

Established Member
I got the afco unit w/the fans, it's nice to run the fans & intercooler pump to cool the car off at the track..

46stang

Established Member
I put one fan on it and placed it over to the side where the water enters the heat exchanger. One fan won't impede air flow much and when you are at a stop you still have airflow across the heat exchanger. Also i put a switch in the car so when I'm in the pits I could activate the pump and fan and it cools the car down fast.

rthouck

Established Member
I don't do any data logging on my car but I know there are several members on here who do a fair amount (or more), and the general opinion is not much affect on the street?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I have my pump and fan on the same switch mounted in the cab. I turn them on whenever I am driving.

rthouck

Established Member
I don't really track my car ever but it seems like in the NC summer heat these would still help quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread