Hellion or HP Performance for a 4V?

baylorbear98GT

Established Member
I am planning on getting a turbo system from one of these two companies in the near future what do y'all reccomend? I know that HP is twins and Hellion is single what are the pros/cons of each (like spool time& top power production) Who here has one of these systems installed on your car? Were there any issues in fitting and quality etc. Thanks in advance!!!!

I am sure that I am not the only one looking at this, it will probably benefit others as well.

Slo65

o harro ^_^
Established Member
hope you're not looking at it for your current engine, mach motors dont exactly love boost

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Two words....TURBO HORSEPOWER. My car is almost done and its going to make some HUGE numbers. Awesome company to deal with and delivered on all their promises to me. The THP kits have several major advantages over the HP kits. Look at the turbo placement for one. If you want a kit next week, the Hellion single T76 is the ticket.

turbo1.jpg

turbo2.jpg

turbo3.jpg

turbo4.jpg

turbo5.jpg

installedturbos01.jpg

installedturbos02.jpg

installedturbos03.jpg

Blown02

Established Member
Some would consider THP's turbo placement an advantage, some would consider it a disadvantage.

but nice looking kit.

baylorbear98GT

Established Member
Thanks everybody for the input. Is there any compelling reason to use twins? I know that there supposed to spool faster but according to Hellion there isn't any lag in their single. Thoughts?

Blown02

Established Member
man, ofcourse everyone who has a kit is going to love their kit, to tell you the truth no matter what kit you go with you will be happy, they are all great and they all make big power.

to everyone else that is posting-why dont you tell him whats good about the kit, and dont bash the other kits. besides, do yall have experience with the other kits, or just the kit thats on your car?

btw-if your referring to the hp kit when u say cutting, there was absolutely no cutting on my car!

Blown02

Established Member
as far as spool goes, im sure the singles spool quick with a smaller turbo, i know all of the twins spool really quick, the 46s, 50s, 57s spool ridculously quick, almost as quick as twin screws as far as reaching peak boost. Im not sure about the twin 67s, i heard they dont reach peak boost until 5000rpms, just what I heard though.

baylorbear98GT

Established Member
Blown02 said:
as far as spool goes, im sure the singles spool quick with a smaller turbo, i know all of the twins spool really quick, the 46s, 50s, 57s spool ridculously quick, almost as quick as twin screws as far as reaching peak boost. Im not sure about the twin 67s, i heard they dont reach peak boost until 5000rpms, just what I heard though.

Yeah I'm either single 76 or twin 57's from what everybody is saying I don't think spool time will be an issue. Which makes the most power?

Blown02

Established Member
Its really depends on your fuel system, and if thats not a problem, than whatever the engine will make (based on heads, cams, intake ofcourse), and as you know the drivetrain should be beefed up.

are you running returnless or return style?

TRBO VNM

the cutting comment was in regards to the THP kit. 2 holes need to be cut for the down pipes. one under the battery and the other where the stock filter box went.

The single 76 will spool and hit full boost about 4k-4300, the single 66 will hit full boost about 3k rpm. it also depends on how much boost you are running as well and an electronic boost control can speed things up as well. I haven't played with my controller enough to use it to it's full potential.

I like the hellion because it is less piping, weight, less parts to break and maintain, looks like it came from the factory, no cutting required, great customer service, John Urist has been doing this for a long time. great warranty, lifetime on all stainless parts and 1yr on turbo(which I think is standard). I also like being able to open the hood and see the turbo.

you also need to think about what your goals are for the car. how fast do you really want to go? drag, autox, road race?

Also, hellion is the only company with a kit in production that you can get a Maximum Motorsport kmember and a-arms for. And their kits are in stock. the only part that needs to be ordered is the Ball Bearing turbo. The keep non ball bearing in stock, but BB do come directly from turbonetics.

baylorbear98GT

Established Member
Blown02 said:
Its really depends on your fuel system, and if thats not a problem, than whatever the engine will make (based on heads, cams, intake ofcourse), and as you know the drivetrain should be beefed up.

are you running returnless or return style?

Cool. :coolman:

I am using a return style fuel system and a F.A.S.T. fuel injection system.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
We'll see how fast the twin 67's spool in a couple weeks. With the smaller .68 exhaust housings, they should be fully spooled by 4000-4300 RPM. The turbos as close to the exhaust flange as possible, so spool time will not be a problem at all with the bigger turbos. As for what is going to make more power....two t67's will make more power than a single 76. I plan to make well over 1000rwhp, and I have no doubts it's going to do it.

baylorbear98GT

Established Member
badcobra said:
We'll see how fast the twin 67's spool in a couple weeks. With the smaller .68 exhaust housings, they should be fully spooled by 4000-4300 RPM. The turbos as close to the exhaust flange as possible, so spool time will not be a problem at all with the bigger turbos. As for what is going to make more power....two t67's will make more power than a single 76. I plan to make well over 1000rwhp, and I have no doubts it's going to do it.

GOOD GOD!! Why do you need that much power? My goal is to run a low 10 with a suspension that I could do well in autoX and road races with. (Thats asking a lot but there will be adjustability in the suspension shocks etc.). I think I only need about 650-700 rwhp I just want to get there with as little boost as possible.

BTW: Why don't you go with a big single? Like an 88 or maybe a 101?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread