Hellion single 76 bb/billet wheel build thread

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
If you can't find a Sullivan intake you could always make charge pipes up to your current intake correct?? Also is your intake ported?? You might have already mentioned it and I just didnt catch it
Yes sir I could make a charge pipe to fit the 01 intake but it's kinda hard to make a good one. The maf housing is 4" so I would want atleast 3 or 3 1/2 pipe. Buuuttt, it will hit the strut tower if it's any bigger that 2 1/2!

I have a stock un ported 01 cobra intake.
how much did they get you for a spring
I think they got a 10lb spring, I'm shooting for around 23 or so for race tune and that should get me there.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Awesome build man, good luck!

Some great accents for turbo cars are a wotbox and exhaust cutouts.

Altogether they'll cost you about $800 installed but the open cutouts alone will pick you up 20whp or more from a traditional cat back an the wotbox will make the car very consistent as quick.

a6cd0d07-5a2d-d37e.jpg

The cutouts are dead quiet on a turbo cars, mine are barely 75-80db cruising around. Plus you can always close them and go through the traditional exhaust.

The wotbox will allow boost from a dead stop and be able to shift with your foot to the floor on the gas pedal. Really helps keep boost in the motor since you never allow the turbo's to loose boost by not lifting.

The Chevy cobalt ss has the same style device and kills it for a fwd car. 14.0's in fwd with 260hp

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Awesome build man, good luck!

Some great accents for turbo cars are a wotbox and exhaust cutouts.

Altogether they'll cost you about $800 installed but the open cutouts alone will pick you up 20whp or more from a traditional cat back an the wotbox will make the car very consistent as quick.

a6cd0d07-5a2d-d37e.jpg

The cutouts are dead quiet on a turbo cars, mine are barely 75-80db cruising around. Plus you can always close them and go through the traditional exhaust.

The wotbox will allow boost from a dead stop and be able to shift with your foot to the floor on the gas pedal. Really helps keep boost in the motor since you never allow the turbo's to loose boost by not lifting.

The Chevy cobalt ss has the same style device and kills it for a fwd car. 14.0's in fwd with 260hp
Thanks for the info man!

But I already have a cut out and a msd 2 step!:rockon:
I don't have the cut out on yet but it will be soon because I have chambered mufflers and there not exactly good for turbo spool. The 2 step is fixed up so it'll only work when the car is not moving. I don't like the no lift shift with a 2 step.... I want all the rpm it'll give me when I power shift! :rockon:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Hell ya rock on man; that's a great combo for sure. Post times when it's all done, should be one hell of a beast

TRBO VNM

Thanks everyone! Yea this thing spools quick, very quick!

The spring came in today and the car should be done with tuning Thursday then I'll be making some good videos of it.

Here's a couple problems that I've found in the process of tuning it.

7psi spring won't get you much more than 16psi by boost controller

Get the clamps on the cold side TIGHT! Ive blown 2 off at 16psi

If you can, convert to blow through maf.... Draw thru sucks IMO! Here's why..

The bov charges all the extra boost into the intake pipe between the maf and the turbo when you let out. The maf is so close to the bov inlet that it reads the current back through the maf, in turn causing maf to think it has no air going by it at all. Then since it thinks there's no air then it needs no fuel! We've tried everything with it to get it to work and it's just no way to get it perfect so I'm going to try and get the maf farther from the turbo. I'm going to put the maf into the fender to see what happens.

All this is just a fix for now until I build a blow thru. It doest seem smart at all to run draw thru.... It reads iat temps before it ever gets to the turbo! I'll have to build my own piping and hopefully find a sullivan!

Well, I don't know who your tuner is and if you trust him, I am sure he knows his stuff, but I have had 3 of these setups and my tuner had no problem making the corrections. The issue is usually backwash and causing a stall and there are adjustments in the tuning software to correct for this. Hellion has been using the same setup on the 96-04 cars since they started. I have found that some tuners have no issue with it and other tuners do.

That said, converting to blow thru will definitely help that obviously.

What wastegate did they send you? They usually use the turbonetics evolution and it comes with 5, 7 and 9# springs. But I know they use turbosmart as well now on some kits.

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Jason,

They sent me the 38mm turbosmart with only 1 spring and it was a 7lber.

As for the tuner this is the first time I've ever used him but he seems very knowledgeable about turbo stangs. I would love to pay a visit to fastlane but their a little to far away...

Thanks again for the kit and all the help Jason!!

TRBO VNM

Ok. Maybe they changed. Hard to keep up with those smaller parts because they can use either one. I guess that one they only send one spring.

SSeatr

Established Member
You are better off with the factory manifolds because they hold the heat in better. I was thinking the same thing with my first setup and Hellion tested JBA shorties and they lost power.

If you are interested, I do have a set of stock manifolds that have been jet hot coated I could work into a deal if you are interested in a kit. :D

When I ordered my kit from Hellion I was talking to Jeff about the stock headers or the JBA's and he told me the JBA's were better?? They are ceramic coated, and DAMN expensive lol

and the stocks still hold heat better??

TRBO VNM

When I ordered my kit from Hellion I was talking to Jeff about the stock headers or the JBA's and he told me the JBA's were better?? They are ceramic coated, and DAMN expensive lol

and the stocks still hold heat better??

No disrespect to Jeff, but he wasn't there when the terminator kit was produced and Nate was using his car for all the testing and he told me the jba's were tested and lost 50hp. I had bought them without asking when I bought my first turbo kit and then was talking to Nate about my plans and he told me that info. So either Jeff wasn't informed or I was lied to originally.

SSeatr

Established Member
No disrespect to Jeff, but he wasn't there when the terminator kit was produced and Nate was using his car for all the testing and he told me the jba's were tested and lost 50hp. I had bought them without asking when I bought my first turbo kit and then was talking to Nate about my plans and he told me that info. So either Jeff wasn't informed or I was lied to originally.

I wasn't doubting you on the power, just saying what I have been told.

But I can't see how the stockers are better with heat then the JBA's, being they are coated..

I am interested to see comparable builds with the 2 different headers 50hp is a lot of HP especially when you can save $700+ by keeping stock headers and make more power. I still have my stockers maybe oneday ill swap them and hit the dyno to see..im sure A LOT of guys would like to know this before laying out almost a grand on headers thinking they would be better.

Last edited:

jetmech

Established Member
Well I could see how keeping stockers would make more than the JBAs on the Hellion kit .. The stockers are thick iron, iron holds heat better, heat = better turbo performance. Now change to 1-7/8'' primaries to 3'' and go with a foward facing kit for less piping to the turbo, coat the hot side and wrap it and then you will see a signifigant power gain.

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Last update!!

We finished up the tune on it the other day! It has issues with the idle for some reason tho. It idles up to about 2k then slowly falls when you clutch it. I think there's a issue with the tb or iac. I'll figure it out soon tho.

Car made:

10psi=540hp
14psi=620hp
16psi=685hp
18psi=730hp
20psi=787hp/720tq

I forget what the tq is for every psi but it's basically the same as hp.
It pulls like a monster on only 14psi@620hp! This car used to be a 3.4 whipple car and on pump it made 650 and it feels stronger than that with 14psi! Haha

I'll have videos of it running when it dries up around here!

sn94cobra

Corn-aholic
Established Member
do you feel this was a better move over the whipple? I am considering changing to a turbo but I am concerned I might regret it. Never been in a turbo cobra so i don't have anything to compare it to.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Just a highlight here do I got this

It's a stock 03/04 cobra bottom end and stock heads?

Cams stock? Heads ported?

a hellion 76mm turbo kit correct with the precision turbo upgrade and bullet wheel ?

T-56 with 26 spline? What clutch?

Lastly

Stock PCM with an SCT tuner or chip?

Thanks

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
do you feel this was a better move over the whipple? I am considering changing to a turbo but I am concerned I might regret it. Never been in a turbo cobra so i don't have anything to compare it to.
I'm way happier with turbo than I was whipple! Hands down!

Just a highlight here do I got this

It's a stock 03/04 cobra bottom end and stock heads?

Cams stock? Heads ported?

a hellion 76mm turbo kit correct with the precision turbo upgrade and bullet wheel ?

T-56 with 26 spline? What clutch?

Lastly

Stock PCM with an SCT tuner or chip?

Thanks

Your on the right track!

Bone stock motor including cams
T56 with 26 spline/spec stage 5 clutch
76mm hellion with ball bearing billet wheel precision
Stock 01 cobra intake unported
Stock ECM with sct x cal3 and a dyno tune!

There's gobbs of power still left to be had with my setup but it's not needed right this second. Me and my tuner believe it'll do 950 with more boost and timing. At the rate that the power is increasing per # of boost it seems very easy to get there. I'm happy with my measly 787hp for now tho :rockon:

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
how would you describe the difference in feel?

Got any vids?

To describe the difference in feel is kinda hard. But in my best description, it's like this.

I'm running my car on the 620hp tune right now. I had a 2.3 whipple on this car before and it made 620 on the dot on 19.5psi. It feels way faster than it did with the whipple!

I took my car for a spin the other day and ran it hard 1 time. Pulled out on the highway,floored it in 1st at about 20. It built boost almost instantly powershifted to 2nd,3rd and 4th and never had any "lag" in between gears. And to top it off I short shifted before I hit 6000 just to see if it would lag!

Everyone always says, turbos are laggy under 3500 rpms! Yea maybe so but do you race people and keep your car at 3000rpms? No!
This car is a monster! I haven't even ran it hard on 620hp! Much less 787!

Plus I made 620hp on 14psi.... Try that with a whipple! It took me 19.5psi to make 620 with a whipple.

sn94cobra

Corn-aholic
Established Member
thanks for the description. My 2.3 on 22 lbs is making high 600's. If a single turbo is that much more impressive, I can only imagine. My high 600's feels damn strong now.
Does the torque feel as broad as a twin screw? or does it come on with a flurry?

Users who are viewing this thread