Hellion Turbo 2003 - Vert ZY *Priced to sell*

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
I BOUGHT it!! Had a mechanic come with me and it. Checked out. Tranny and everything feels solid. Drove back to the hotel in LA traffic for an hour and no issues or overheating or nothin. For the parts it has and the price I couldn't pass it up. Thank you all for all the background on the cobra. I LUV SVTPERFORMANCE forums!:beer:

yelostang

Established Member
LOL!

I was just checking up to see what happened to that car and I can't believe it made it all the way out to cali.

BTW I'm the original owner.

KHAN351

BOOST JUNKY
Established Member
Congrats on the purchase man! I bought this car from the guy dimitri sold it to. I had it for a little while and had no issues with it. Tune was good at the time with perfect a/f. I sold it to a franchise dealer in TN and then saw it was available at auction a few months later with trans issues(6th gear schcro to be exact).

Hopefully everything works out for you! Enjoy!

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
Bad news guys.....so I was at a toy run for the local Shriners hospital and all of a sudden I see me temp going up! I shut It down and got it towed to my buddy's shop. Looks like I have a blown head gasket now! Out of nowhere!?!?! Car has been great from day 1 and hav put a old amount of miles in a short time.....haven't even made the first payment yet! In the middle of returning the car to dealer, in CA a car has to be smog compliant at time of sale so since there's no Cats or O2 sensors it wasnt a legal sale......working out in my favor...I'll be in the market again here soon!!

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Doubt it's a blown head gasket if it's still got that same radiator with the hairline crack in it... Car will get an air pocket in cooling system and cause an overheat.

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
hopefully dimitri could chime in..... if it is that would be waayyy cheaper to fix and I would probably keep it. It's been great and I would really hate to get rid of it..... gonna call the mechanic for now to check out the radiator

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
This is the thing, many people unless mustang specific won't understand a few things that it may be doing. I had this happen to me, it's because air got in the system and I had to burp it very thoroughly and I mean VERY. Check the coolant level as when it's colder it would leak just enough. Also the crack is drivers side bottom of radiator on the actual metal tube that comes off the radiator.

Last edited:

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
This is the thing, many people unless mustang specific won't understand a few things that it may be doing. I had this happen to me, it's because air got in the system and I had to burp it very thoroughly and I mean VERY. Check the coolant level as when it's colder it would leak just enough. Also the crack is drivers side bottom of radiator on the actual metal tube that comes off the radiator.

by thorough how long did you have it running to make sure all air was out?? I called the mech and he said it's def a head gasket because it it was the radiatior there would be water leaking? I'm just going to get the car towed home and try and burp it...I REALLY hope that's all it is! Like I said it ran great and all of a sudden BOOM the temp goes up! :shrug:

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
I can have the car at idle for 30 min at normal temp and it won't overheat but the minute I drive it down the road it starts to shoot up.....

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
The following decribes the car dead on. I found it on yahoo answers...what do you guys think?
1. Sometimes there is heat in the car and other times this is not
2. After driving less than a mile temp goes up and coolant shoots out from the cap
3. Car runs strong and sounds great
4. Does not overheat at idle
5. Coolant is full

Things that are not happening
1. My oil is not milky
2. No white smoke coming from exhaust
3. hose leaks
4. radiator leaks

The water pump uses an impeller to move the water in the cooling system. If this impeller has corroded or become detached because of internal failure, you would have the exact problem that you are describing. Suggest you remove the water pump and evaluate the impellers condition. Good Luck
Source(s):
ASE Master Tech 42 Years

Last edited:

Fat-cat

Established Member
Any water in the oil.. if its turning a milky brown color that will tell you its a head gasket. You can also rip down to Pep boys and get Exhaust gas in coolant test strips that will tell you if you are getting any bleed form that cyl into the cooling system. Couple of ez things to check.

If the system is not burped it will raise temp like you are saying. Air in these systems can be a bitch to get out.

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
Is water pump failure common on the 03-04 cobras? Going to burp the system per ford's manual and see how it goes. I pressurized the system and no leaks were present.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
U def have a headgasket. I have had cobra that idle all day but the minute u get into boost. It over heats. Uve ever had the rad cap blow off from the extreme combustion pressure built up.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread