Hello 2020 Tremor, Goodbye 2018 Raptor

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Nice. What made you switch from the raptor to the tremor?

A laundry list of issues. My Raptor was constantly in the shop for warranty work related to the engine. The last straw was I had my timing belt tensioner replaced at 14k miles, and it went bad again at 39k miles. Far from acceptable, and soured my taste for the EcoBoost engine.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
It definitely feels bigger, and heavier. The suspension has upgraded Tremor shocks, but not equivalent to FOX shocks.

The 7.3L sounds killer, and paired with the 4.30 gears it gets up and goes for sure.

So far 90 miles on it, averaging 10.9 MPG but it has slowly been going up as we drive it more.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
A laundry list of issues. My Raptor was constantly in the shop for warranty work related to the engine. The last straw was I had my timing belt tensioner replaced at 14k miles, and it went bad again at 39k miles. Far from acceptable, and soured my taste for the EcoBoost engine.

You mean the timing chain? and you mean the cold start rattle? Funny because the gen2 eco (which you had) now has 2 chains vs the single on the gen 1...supposed to be a better design yet I see way more failures.

Question for you, what oil did you use and how many miles did you go per oil change?

Please keep up updated on the new truck. Since you have the first run, I imagine you will run into some problems. I curious long term on the oil chain pump.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yes, If Ford is having timing chain issues on vehicles, with stretch or whatever it is, and the 7.3 has a chain driven oil pump with a tensioner, if it has an issue the whole motor would be gone.

But the timing chain issues only seem to be 3.5 issues. You dont hear about them on the other engines. Especially the v8

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, If Ford is having timing chain issues on vehicles, with stretch or whatever it is, and the 7.3 has a chain driven oil pump with a tensioner, if it has an issue the whole motor would be gone.

Well sure.... but in that case why are there effectively 0 issues with coyote timing chains?

And every other motor they use with chains?

Anything could happen, but looking at the video I would venture to say the 7.3 is going to be a rock solid motor as far as reliability goes.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Love blue jeans. Re: ecoboost issues, i think it's cam phasers again. When will ford learn and just get away from those damn things? I've said it before, i am going to be taking a long hard look at the 7.3 super duty when it's time to replace my F150

tonga3

Established Member
Looking to do the exact same thing with my 2018 Raptor. Has about 65k miles on it, just not confident in long term reliability. Looking forward to more feedback in realtion to Raptor. The Raptor ride is pretty hard to beat which is a big plus.

Users who are viewing this thread