HELP 03/04 cobra or a new 5.0

06mustangsixer

CalloutsNOLA
Established Member
ok so in a few months i will have enough money to get me a new car. i'm really considering a cobra. One can be picked up for around 18-20k. But, i am also really considering the new 5.0. Around 35k. after TTL. i plan on making this my daily driver but i want to make it into a really fast car. help please! anyone got any advice to offer me?

UncleDan

Established Member
ok so in a few months i will have enough money to get me a new car. i'm really considering a cobra. One can be picked up for around 18-20k. But, i am also really considering the new 5.0. Around 35k. after TTL. i plan on making this my daily driver but i want to make it into a really fast car. help please! anyone got any advice to offer me?

If you want the best bang for the buck then the Cobra is the way to go. I've already seen dozens of new 5.0s out on the roads. 03/04 Cobras are much more rare to see. Not only that, but you'll spend $15k+ more for one, which is slightly slower than a stock Terminator.

And I've said this before but... Take a stock 03/04 Cobra and a stock 2011 5.0, give the owner of each car $1,000 to use for mods, and the Cobra is going to waste that 5.0

Others have argued that this wouldn't be so because you can just get nitrous oxide for the 5.0.... Well, bottles run out. And not to mention we don't even know how the 5.0 will handel nitrous over the long run yet anyways. We all know the Cobras handel smaller pulleys great.

Not taking anything away from the new GT, just my 2 cents on it.

Mustang289

Established Member
Ford did the 5.0 GT's right just like they did the terminators - either choice is a great one! To be realistic you're looking at around $24K for a terminator with low mileage. You can put less then $1K into the terminator and get 500 rwhp without NOS. The terminators are very mod friendly with tons of available options on the market today. The new GTs will also get a lot of mods available but will also take some time.

I would suggest driving both and see which car feels right for you. Good luck sounds like you'll have a blast making this decision!

06mustangsixer

CalloutsNOLA
Established Member
ok this has got me thinking now... since all i honestly want is around 600whp out of the cobra... is that possible on the stock blower w/o n20 for a good price. because i just want the best bang for my buck but i can't get over how cool the new 5.0's are...

wjk

Established Member
Best bang for the buck would be the Cobra. Do the math...
The 5.0 is close to $35k with necessary options.
That leaves $10-$15k for you to put into the Cobra. With that much you can easily get over 600whp but I doubt you can keep the stock Eaton. Most likely you would have to get a KB Mammoth, or 3.4 Whipple.

infidel0910

Established Member
I would say a termi for sure, it wont break the bank and way faster with less mods. Plus, c'mon, its a terminator. sexy.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
If you want a more refined/ easy to drive car/ comfortable car i think the 5.0 is your best bet. If youor more interested in a weekend warrior that will throw your ass in the back of your seat for cheap money go terminator for sure. Alot of new terminator owners complain about the stiff clutch, squeeking here or there blah, blah, blah... buy a terminator throw a pulley on it and the only thing you'll hear is the eaton screaming like a baby with a full diaper.

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
If you want a new car with bells and whistles then get the 5.0. The 5.0 I am sure would make a better DD. If you want a bad boy to rip shit up and intimidate then go for the Snake.

04RiceEater

Established Member
If you want a more refined/ easy to drive car/ comfortable car i think the 5.0 is your best bet. If youor more interested in a weekend warrior that will throw your ass in the back of your seat for cheap money go terminator for sure. Alot of new terminator owners complain about the stiff clutch, squeeking here or there blah, blah, blah... buy a terminator throw a pulley on it and the only thing you'll hear is the eaton screaming like a baby with a full diaper.

+1. Enough said:rockon:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford did the 5.0 GT's right just like they did the terminators - either choice is a great one! To be realistic you're looking at around $24K for a terminator with low mileage. You can put less then $1K into the terminator and get 500 rwhp without NOS. The terminators are very mod friendly with tons of available options on the market today. The new GTs will also get a lot of mods available but will also take some time.

I would suggest driving both and see which car feels right for you. Good luck sounds like you'll have a blast making this decision!

I disagree with 24k being more realistic for a low mileage cobra. Maybe if it has less than 10k on it. I guess it all depends on what one considers a lower mileage one? Some say 40k is lower mileage while others think 20k or less.

I just got my 03 coupe with 20k on it, I paid 19.5k. It's all in the search with a little luck.

OP- 03-04 cobra hands down.

06mustangsixer

CalloutsNOLA
Established Member
If you want a new car with bells and whistles then get the 5.0. The 5.0 I am sure would make a better DD. If you want a bad boy to rip shit up and intimidate then go for the Snake.

see i just want to rip shit up..... here's another question. Would you buy one that's bone stock or modded.... i mean i have no problem buying one that has a whipple or kenne bell on it already...

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
:rockon:

OP, one thing to consider is that most financial institutions will not loan you the full purchase price of a nice Terminator (20k-25k for a 7-8 year old car). I don't know if you're buying your next car cash or financing it so I thought I'd throw this out there.

Jroc

Established Member
Y'all need to learn to help yourselves, and quit asking others what car YOU need to own.

Here's what you do:
1)Drive an 03/04 Cobra(you will get a different opinion of the car depending on mods)
2)Drive a new Mustang GT
3)Weigh the advantages and disadvantages you feel both car have to one another, and pick the one that you feel is right for you.

Users who are viewing this thread