help again PLEASE

909cobra

Established Member
can anyone tell me if the coolant cap is steel. i just stripped it out and was wondering if a nut could be welded on there to get it opened. why did ford have the cap made to open with a 1/4 rachet??? WHY.....

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
so that you can burp the system... you open it with an allen key... Using the right tools helps... they sell an extractor kit at sears that you could use... I dont know about welding it..

Last edited:

909cobra

Established Member
the hole is stripped out and i am wondering if it is steel so a nut colud be welded on top to turn it so it can be opened. it is stuck closed. thats how the thing got stripped...thanks

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
wait until someone knows for sure, but I believe many people have been in your situation and welded a nut on to fix the problem

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
the hole is for a 1/4 inch rachet. but if you cant get it off with vise grips, that mother must be tight. im pretty sure you can weld a nut on it

jlg32281

Established Member
Weld away my friend. It will make it much easier in the future. And if you can, weld it from the inside of the nut, then fill it and paint it. It will stock if you do it right. Keep us posted.

Dixie96Cobra

Established Member
Try warming it up. I tried once to get mine off with a 1/4" ratchet while it was cold, and I couldn't budge it(channel locks wouldn't work either). I drove it for a while, and I easily got it of with channel locks(even though the 1/4" ratchet would still have worked). Don't take it off all the way, but loosen it a bit till it cools down some. If you have already tried while it was warm.......then disregard all of this.

Users who are viewing this thread