!!!!!help!!!! Boost issue engine rough and dies

rugbyinbaok

Established Member
I have a 2001 lightning that has 19K miles and stock except for Bassianni exhaust, 4lb pulley, sheet metal intake, boost bypass, egr delete, and TR6 plugs. Have a SCTx4 tuner with 91 octane tune installed. Truck has been great, running strong for a while now with mods done. Yesterday was driving around and got on it a little and when I let off the engine seemed funny. Could only drive in a vacum state. Truck would die down if I accelerated to fast. Got truck home and now it idles rough and wont build boost. Supercharger trys but engine bogs down. Seems like when the bypass closes it dies down. Changed fuel filter, re-installed tune, checked vacum lines for issues, no change. Any help would be great.

Dusten

Established Member
Start with basics. Check your plugs. Check for a vacuum leak. I had my intake come loose and had the same symptoms. If you have good spark, and no vacuum leaks, check fuel. They plastic Y is known to crack in the tank and cause massive issues with fuel delivery.

Z06/SVT

Established Member
Wow... 19K miles and the fuel pump is defective?? I have to ask... Is this truck mostly a garage queen..? Perhaps it has sat for awhile? I am new to the Lightnings... Is this fuel pump thing common for these trucks. to the OP, keep us posted.

4a7191a

Established Member
I don't think its a normal problem. 72k stock pumps here. Maybe some trash got into them or something. Still. If the tank is opened up I'd be replacing them anyways.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Wow... 19K miles and the fuel pump is defective?? I have to ask... Is this truck mostly a garage queen..? Perhaps it has sat for awhile? I am new to the Lightnings... Is this fuel pump thing common for these trucks. to the OP, keep us posted.

143K stock pumps. Probably from sitting with E10 fuel eating away at the pumps.

Dusten

Established Member
Def not common. The plastic y cracking with age is, pumps failing isn't

Users who are viewing this thread