Help building 91 to drag car.

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
Hey guys just picked up a 91 4cyl 5speed mustang for 670bucks little to no rust on the car. I want to make it into a full out drag car not a overnight project i keep saying a 10 year project lol. plan on running it in 8s maybe even 7s eventually like to start out in 10s for sure on motor, since my cobra could run that now don't want my drag car slower than my street car. For the winter i'd like to gut it take out everything and get it legal for those times and worry about drive train later. what will i need to do? or start to do i'd like it ready for 7s now and not worry about it later just have to up the power on the motor and go for it. If you'd like could give me a some hints on what kind of motors, transmissions and rear ends to look at plus suspension. this is all new to me and can't wait to start this.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
big cube small block or big block, turbocharger of massive perportions, c4 with transbrake, 9" rear, certified cage....basics. others who have actual built a 7 sec car could probably chime in better.

coposrv

Established Member
A 25.5 cage is going to run some serious coin. I would look for a well built roller myself.

coposrv

Established Member
Shedding weight and getting down to a stripped rolling chassis is a good way to start. You may make some money if the interior is in decent shape too.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
start with a 429 or 460 big block(they are the same block). That block alone can hold 1000hp, plenty to get you into the low low 9's or 8's if you can get it to 60'. Get a big turbo or 2 large turbos, glide, mini tub, run it in the 10.5 classes. At least that's what I would do. Ive already got the 460 block just hanging out until I get the time and money to do it.

GM Nitemare

Established Member
You'll be duplicating many things starting @ 10's then shooting for the 7sec figure. The proper cage alone is going to run you around $12k installed. Then a $25-$30,000.00 engine(pre power adder) Choose an E/T you want to shoot for. Then get after it. If you don't have a money tree in your back yard. Then good luck. Running 7's in not cheap. I just finished what you're starting. started with a $1100.00 89 notch. Then spent $45,000.00 making it go fast. Still not a 7sec car, but low 8's.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Get one of those NHRA rule books. That should go over what you'll need to make the car legal and show you what classes you can run in and/or what you'll need for them.

I hope you're a good fabricator or know a good one though!

If it were me building the car, I would most likely stuff a turbo LSX setup under the hood. Modern technology, easy to work on/maintain, huge aftermarket, and the cost to build them aren't really that bad.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Before you do anything, you need to establish your budget. That, in great measure, will determine how far you go with this project, and what your goals will/should be.

Tunink

Established Member
High 8s in a fox isnt to bad, I have 14/15k in mine and should go that pretty easily, any faster though and you start getting into serious money.

If I had to do it all over again a turbo set up on a 370~ to 408 lsx would probably get me a low 8 for cheaper than a nitrous set up.

I'm looking at doing a 440 lsx twin 88 set up to go x275 racing and let me tell you, if i do this build my car will be down for 3+ years, it's a lot of coin....

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
A 25.5 cage is going to run some serious coin. I would look for a well built roller myself.

Found a Wolfe sells them for 2600 we can do all the welding our self not worried about that. it is cheaper to buy a race ready car and go racing tomorrow but don't have cash now i'd like to do my own car and make it exactly what i want. i'll over build it now and just have to add to the motor later.

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
Basically I want to get it into the roller state this winter w/o the power train like take everything out do the cage and w/e else i'd need to do.

61mmstang94

Established Member
Not considering any class rules, if I had a fox body I wanted to build on a budget and still be able to fly?

Go with a junkyard 351 block, put a nice rotating assembly in it with decent HCI.

On top of that I'd put a glide and a turbo on it and you'll have a nice 8-second capable car.

But set a budget and go from there because by the time you factor in doing the car right, it's not going to be cheap any way you look at it (fuel system, drag brakes, cage, suspension, restoration as necessary, paint job, wheels&tires, odd and ends adds up to a lot of money). People like to say throw this motor with a turbo in there and they know of a buddys cousins uncle who built his 8-second car for 10k lol.

If you want a good-looking, reliable mustang to run 9s from scratch you're going to spend two to three times that amount even with a fox body if you're doing the work yourself and incur no labor costs.

Last edited:

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
What kind of frame work needed to strengthen it to make it hold the power? I do know its going to cost me 30-40k already I realize that. Its not an overnight project like I said 10yrs if its done before that good if not I won't be disappointed.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

61mmstang94

Established Member
What kind of frame work needed to strengthen it to make it hold the power? I do know its going to cost me 30-40k already I realize that. Its not an overnight project like I said 10yrs if its done before that good if not I won't be disappointed.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Some subframe connectors, torque boxes welded up and a cage will be enough.

Users who are viewing this thread