Help decide

MrYellowSVT

Established Member
I'm looking at getting a lighting. I need help with what to look for and what to avoid as well as what I should really inspect closer.

I want a 03,04 unless they are more problems then it's worth if so what year is good.

Reason I'm asking before willy nilly buying is I bought a 01 cobra and it had a piston ring seized and burning oil without notice four months later i spun 3 rod bearings and while building i was going supercharge to only find out i have to basically terminator swap the bitch so it will remain my daily driver and the lighting will be drove sometime but mostly track ran and ****ing people on the street. Any way I dont want to buy one to find I'm limited on buying parts for it or having to redo the whole engine for something better. ANY HELP WILL HELP THANKS

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

04MysticCobra

Established Member
If I was buying a Lightning again and I have owned a new 95, new 2000 and used 2004. All were great trucks but the 2000 had the intercooler issue and short plug threads. Sold it within a year but with no issues. My 2004 had 22K miles on it when I bought it and was lucky. That lightning was perfect top to bottom with zero issues and I loved it. Had it for 2 years before moving on to another Cobra. So for me the 2003 and 2004 Lightnings would be my choice but I don't think there were many problems with the 2002 model year. I might be wrong and others might chime in.

CobraJetCat

Ditto on the 03 - 04. I'm on my second one... start at around 60K on the odometer, run them up to about 150K in 5 years or so and go again. Not one actual repair, just up grades and worn out parts i.e. control arms, brakes, shocks, etc. I think 03 04 had it right.

Users who are viewing this thread