Help Diagnose this Noise (VIDEO)

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
I already pulled off the supercharger belt so I know it's not coming from those pulleys or idlers.

My thoughts is that it's either the tensioner or the A/C compressor. I sprayed WD-40 around the compressor and tensioner and I can still hear it. I hope it's not the compressor since I just hit 36k miles....

[youtube_browser]nGrcqb35qcQ[/youtube_browser]

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
That sounds like a pretty bad bearing. The noise is so pronounced that I'd use a auto stethoscope which should easily distinguish which one the noise is coming from.

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
+1 on a bearing. Does the noise increase with rpms? Where in vegas r u?

Yes it does. I've checked all of the idlers and pulleys. At this point, I think it's a noisy belt?

I'm in North Las Vegas near Nellie AFB.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
Yes it does. I've checked all of the idlers and pulleys. At this point, I think it's a noisy belt?

I'm in North Las Vegas near Nellie AFB.

How did you check the idlers/pulleys and did that include the accessories, e.g. aircon and alt? I highly doubt a bad belt will produce that noise. Belts normally produce a chirp or squeal.

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
How did you check the idlers/pulleys and did that include the accessories, e.g. aircon and alt? I highly doubt a bad belt will produce that noise. Belts normally produce a chirp or squeal.

I pulled the pulley bridge off and checked them while off the car. I pulled both tensioners and they were good. I pulled the supercharger belt off and started the car and the noise was still there with a/c on and off.

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
Grab a 3ft long Hose and put one end up to you ear and the other end in front and behind anything you may suspect that the sound would be coming from and you will find it by the sound being really loud in your ear. A trick the Old Man taught me from back in the Flintstone days, LOL...

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
I pulled the pulley bridge off and checked them while off the car. I pulled both tensioners and they were good. I pulled the supercharger belt off and started the car and the noise was still there with a/c on and off.

So with the S/C belt off that eliminates the forward pulleys/idles. That leaves I believe three pulleys, tensioner, a/c, and power steering. In your video, the pulley above the a/c is wobbling very slightly. Use the hose or stethoscope method and narrow it to those pulleys/accessories with the S/C belt off.

Users who are viewing this thread