Help!! DSS drivshaft install problem!

rjm-1

Established Member
UPDATE: HELP! DSS install gone wrong!!!

Well DSS finally sent me a replacement driveshaft while "acknowledging" that the first one was in fact too long. I did not pursue talking to the owner about the lack of knowledge or help from his staff. I was just happy to get a replacement shaft in a relatively quick turn around! Besides, I know DSS follow these forums.

The new driveshaft "fit" this time! Pinion angle was set to -1. First impression is the car does feel a little quicker with just a tad more gear noise. Nothing to complain about. On a short run I observed no vibration at all up to 100mph.

One problem that did crop up is that I could no longer use my BMR rear driveshaft loop. I know it will fit with the suspension loaded but I had my rear end jacked up in order to rotate the driveshaft during assembly. When I attempted to reinstall the rear brace, the brace hit the driveshaft about 1/4" before the brace would seat up against the under side of the car. That would mean that whenever the car would be jacked up with the suspension unloaded the aluminum driveshaft would be hitting the brace. I don't like the idea of a balanced "aluminum" driveshaft digging into the brace with the weight of the car! My car is lowered with FRPP springs.

Has anybody else noticed this problem? The brace fit fine with my two piece driveshaft, but not with my new 3.5" DSS. I know I could install the brace/loop with the suspension loaded as I usually only use a drive on lift. But I just don't want to take a chance that I would forget at some point in the future and use (or someone else use) a lift with the suspension unloaded.

fullboogie

Established Member
My best friend owns a very well known LS shop, and swears that DSS is the worst company in the world to deal with. According to general opinion in the Ford world, DSS is one of the best companies to deal with. Go figure.

Glad you got it all worked out - can't imagine how frustrating it must have been.

rjm-1

Established Member
I have a dss carbon fiber driveshaft and a bmr rear driveshaft loop. I shimmed the loop with a few washers and my shaft clears by 1/4" at full suspension droop. It would have cleared without the washers but it was too close for comfort.

Thanks for confirming the interference with a 1 pc driveshaft.

rjm-1

Established Member
Here we go again!!!

Well Not so fast with the Happy Endings! Haven't had a chance to drive the car since the initial install and trial run of the driveshaft where everything seemed fine. So today I decide to finally take it out for a nice long ride. Not two miles from the house I start noticing a rubbing sound coming from the drive train. The slower I go the louder it gets. So i take it back home and put it on my lift, no signs of rubbing anywhere? Then I felt the CV joint and noticed it was very hot!!

I called DSS and they said they had a bad batch of CV joints come in and I must have gotten one on my replacement shaft. OOPS!!!! So now I'm waiting for the second replacement shaft to come in. In the meantime they required a $150 core deposit until I return the defective shaft! Plus they still have not refunded me the $28 shipping for returning the first shaft that was too long! Not feeling to good about DSS right now. Hope fully third time will be a charm!!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I may have one flange adapter available if you bail on DSS and want to instead go with a factory CF shaft...

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
I've been a big fan of DSS and I love the one I have, but I can NEVER recommend one again. They sure screwed themselves (and Rich,too).

Steve

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Sounds like they are doing what they can to make it right, the wheels just turn slowly and you have some defective parts, it sucks. Mechanic you had to use doesn't sound like the brightest bulb in the forest either. I had a couple issues with my dss aluminum as well. Was getting terrible nvh and also my front loop was touching. Drilled new holes in the bracket to raise it up, rotated the front on the flange 180 degrees and that did it. Dss did offer to put what I paid toward a cf shaft or refund my money so I was happy with that. Hope it all works out for you, this is why I do all my work so I know what's going on when an issue comes up. When your left at the mercy of tards who knows.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Well Not so fast with the Happy Endings! Haven't had a chance to drive the car since the initial install and trial run of the driveshaft where everything seemed fine. So today I decide to finally take it out for a nice long ride. Not two miles from the house I start noticing a rubbing sound coming from the drive train. The slower I go the louder it gets. So i take it back home and put it on my lift, no signs of rubbing anywhere? Then I felt the CV joint and noticed it was very hot!!

I called DSS and they said they had a bad batch of CV joints come in and I must have gotten one on my replacement shaft. OOPS!!!! So now I'm waiting for the second replacement shaft to come in. In the meantime they required a $150 core deposit until I return the defective shaft! Plus they still have not refunded me the $28 shipping for returning the first shaft that was too long! Not feeling to good about DSS right now. Hope fully third time will be a charm!!

My aluminum DSS shaft had one of those bad CV joints. It was horrible! I returned it and upgraded to their CF shaft. So far, so good. I have about 300 miles on it so far.

rjm-1

Established Member
Sounds like they are doing what they can to make it right, the wheels just turn slowly and you have some defective parts, it sucks. Mechanic you had to use doesn't sound like the brightest bulb in the forest either. I had a couple issues with my dss aluminum as well. Was getting terrible nvh and also my front loop was touching. Drilled new holes in the bracket to raise it up, rotated the front on the flange 180 degrees and that did it. Dss did offer to put what I paid toward a cf shaft or refund my money so I was happy with that. Hope it all works out for you, this is why I do all my work so I know what's going on when an issue comes up. When your left at the mercy of tards who knows.

Yeah, at least they are trying, but man it shouldn't take this many tries to get it right!! This will be my third driveshaft!!!!! Hope the hell this one is good!

And you're right about the mechanic. The only reason I had someone else install the UCA and "attempt" to install the first driveshaft was because of my bad shoulders. I installed the second driveshaft and will install the next one myself. Just have to go slow and try not to injure my shoulders further. The UCA would have been impossible for me with this condition.

PRP

Established Member
......today I decide to finally take it out for a nice long ride. Not two miles from the house I start noticing a rubbing sound coming from the drive train. The slower I go the louder it gets. So i take it back home and put it on my lift, no signs of rubbing anywhere? Then I felt the CV joint and noticed it was very hot!!

I called DSS and they said they had a bad batch of CV joints come in and I must have gotten one on my replacement shaft.

I'll bet'cha dollars to doughnuts that the CV joint was built and installed DRY.

Yes, you have to GREASE a CV joint when you rebuild or install them. I've done dozens in my day and every single one came with a grease packet that required the tech to grease the ball bearings and cups.

Hate to say it, but don't hold your breath on getting your shipping costs back. Put it on a credit card and dispute it when you get the bill because that's about the only way you'll get it back. Refusing to refund shipping costs is a OLD trick I've seen used many many times in the past. They have you by the shorthairs, if you want a new shaft.

Phill

Users who are viewing this thread