Help! Easy gt40 head swap not so easy! Completely lost on this ticking noise.

KC_SVT

Established Member
Okay, a buddy of mine has a 1993 5.0 car that he bought with an e303 cam, edlebrock intake, bigger MAF and injectors already on the car. We picked up a set of cast iron gt40 heads from a swap meet a while back and dropped them off at a local machine shop to have checked out and resurfaced before we put them on the car. Everything checked out with the heads. They have a little stiffer valve springs and had a port job done (RAP stamped on the side of the head). Now, the car made no abnormal noises when it was driven into the garage before we tore into it. The only other thing we changed besideds the heads was the weight of the oil, from 20-50 to 5-30, and the balancer was starting to come apart so that was changed. We went ahead and swapped out the stock e7s using felpro 9333pt1 head gaskets and reusing the stock head bolts, lifters, rockers, and pushrods. Got everything back together and went to fire it up and the thing sounds like it has a solid lifter cam in it with too much valve lash, ticks like crazy. We went through the process of checking pushrod length and found the stock rods to be too long, so we ordered the ford racing shim kit for the rockers and shimmed them to 1/2-1 full turn torqued down from zero lash (most were 1/2-3/4 of a turn). This did nothing, noise was still there. We got to looking at the geometry of the stock rockers and found that they were making contact with the valve springs (aftermarket valve springs were a little wider in diameter than the stock e7 springs, 1.400" to 1.550"). So we ordered up a set of scorpion 1.6 roller rockers that were made to clear a 1.625" spring diameter. Put the new rockers on and adjusted them per scorpions instructions (1/2-1 full turn from zero lash) and made sure the roller was in the center of the valve stem. Everything looked good so we bolted the intake back on and fired it up...same noise, no change. After thinking maybe it was an oil pressure issue, we hooked a mechanical oil pressure gauge up and it shows 20psi at idle and 45ish at 2000rpm. At this point, lifters would be the only other component of the valvetrain that we haven't changed, ordered a set of ford racing roller lifters (p/n M-6500-R302). Pulled the intake and old lifters out and for some unknown reason, the previous owner had 2 different kinds of lifters mix matched and thrown in the motor. 3 were the smooth body, and 13 were the ribbed style, there was a little height difference betweeen the two, but the journals where the lifter made contact with the cylinder were all the same height. We soaked the new lifters in oil and pumped them up getting all air out of them, and put them in the car and bolted the rockers back on following the same sequence for adjusting them. This time, none of the rockers needed the shims they needed previously. we jumped the solenoid with the lower intake off and cranked the car over to make sure the lifters weren't lifting up the "dogbone" and in turn lifting the spider that holds them down, thinking maybe this is the noise we are hearing. All looked fine, nothing was abnormal. So we bolted the intake back on, buttoned it all up, fired it up and again, same noise, no change. Now, the only other thing we changed was the weight of the oil, so we went to the parts store, picked up 5 quarts of 20-50, drained the 5-30 out and filled it back up, still no change. The last thing we did was pull the valve covers and ran the car without them hoping to pinpoint the problem... Same noise, all rockers look perfect, all getting oil. You can grab the pushrods and you cannot feel any play in them, all seems solid. At this point, we have no other ideas.. Every part of the vavletrain has been placed except for the cam...

The car runs good, starts up fine, idles fine. We drove it around the block and it runs fine, doesn't overheat. We didn't get too hard on it but it seems to have good power.

Sorry for the long post but I'm at a complete loss on the cause of this. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this noise could be?? It sounds like rockers hitting the valve cover, but as stated above, we ran it without the covers and no this is not the issue.

Thanks, Keith

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
+1 on the exhaust leak..it sounds exactly the same as a lifter tick, and header leaks at the head can be damn near impossible to spot until you remove the header. They can also be a real bitch to fix.

Sounds like you guys did it right, except for the re-use of the stock head bolts..I know they aren't torque to yield, but I wouldn't have re-used those if you had a choice..new bolts are cheap insurance.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
My friend had a similar problem in his 2001 corvette. he said it sounded like valve train noise. he ended up having a bad oil pump, and his clutch/flywheel was installed wrong. Well that's what he told me anyways.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Without being able to actually help come look at it with you then, I'm not sure..it sounds like you've done most of what I would have checked already. If it's any comfort, I have a set of Harland Sharp Rockers on mine, with AFR 185's and they are noisy. Sounds like a loud sewing machine. I've pulled the valve covers at least 3 times to re-adjust them...they were fine each time, but I did it anyway. Still makes noise. Rockers are showing just a hair long on the stem, but by a hair, I mean about that width...almost imperceptible. Runs great, so I have left it for now.

Maybe try driving it around for a bit then check to see the wear marks on the valve stem, instead of relying on the marker? Maybe your lifters haven't been properly pumped up when checking your pushrod length.

V8Demon

Established Member
What valve covers are you using? I'm running Trick flow heads with 2.02/1.6 valves, a custom cam, and springs with a good amount of pressure (full open is around 450 lbs). With Polished stamped valve covers, you can hear things that you normally would't with thicker cast aluminum ones....

Cperrigo

Established Member
Did you get the head milled? Did you check piston to valve clearances? Does it have an aftermarket timing chain? You gotta remember, this isn't the stock cam and these valves are bigger. If it were me, I'd be willing to waste a set of of head gaskets to make sure my pistons and valves weren't contacting and maybe catch it before it hurts it. Also, make sure your rockers aren't contacting you valves covers. And for the pushrods, after you tighten down rockers, pushrods should still be loose enough you can spin with you fingers. Good luck and let us know what you find!

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
do you know for sure if the rear smog passages are plugged in the back of the heads? Or if you are still using the smog system, make sure it isn't leaking anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread