Help!! I need advise

TacticalKaos

Established Member
What's up guys? I've been posting here for a while now and I have to say that you all sound like a pretty educated, level-headed group I'd feel confident in getting advise from. I've reached what appears to be a cross-roads in life. I go to LSU and frankly, I'm worried about law school. I'm an undergraduate right now getting my degree in Management and Pre-law (double major). I have a pretty good GPA (3.85) and would consider myself a devoted student. After walking into law school today I have to admit, I am extremely intimidated by it. It's in a huge building with nice offices full of extremely promenent and successful people who I frankly, don't feel comfortable around. Maybe as lawyers it's how they present themselves or maybe I just have a trust issue with attorneys. Whatever the case me be, I'm having some doubts as to whether or not I am capable of becoming an attorney at law.

I was wondering if there are any other lawyers on here that good give me some advise. Even if you're not a lawyer have you ever experienced anything like this? I feel like I'm out of my league.

I've done pretty well in life so far, I'm a 2LT in the Army, I've been to Ranger School, etc... and never before have I felt so small. What should I do to tackle this huge obstacle?

DrZacharyus

Banned
Humans dont like change, maybe you arent comfortable being around all these new buildings and new people? just give it some time, im sure you will do just fine! One day, you will be those people so just ride it out.

1Day-ACobra

I'm workin on it
Established Member
Don't worry about your colleagues. As a double major with a near-perfect GPA you shouldn't have any problems with the work side of it all.

However, if you want to become an outstanding lawyer you have to become absolutely immune to intimidation. Talk to the guys at the law school, I think you'll find you're over-reacting. They're regular guys, and you certainly have all the right to be confident about your accomplishments thus far. As a practicing attorney there will come times when you go up against fast-talking arrogant prick lawyers. They may not even know much about the law. You'll have to match their big mouth AND exhibit your knowledge of the law.

I'll be honest with you, no young lawyer I've ever met was that much more educated or enlightened than I. There are tons of people who apply a solid work ethic and pass law school, but realize they're not that interested in being a lawyer, or don't show any fluid intelligence of legal matters.

I was considering going to law school just to have it on my resume, but a business professor who happens to be a good friend talked me out of it. If you've decided this is really what you want to do: go for it. If you want to go to law school just to impress a potential employer: DON'T. It'll be an utter ****ing waste of time and money.

Good luck!

TacticalKaos

Established Member
I'm going to law school for several reasons. First and foremost I have always been obsessed with the judicary system, it's internal processes and statutes it consist of. Secondly I need to get a Masters Degree in something to further my military career. Nearly all Special Forces officers have a secondary degree and I'd also like the option of being a JAG later in my career if I choose to have a family and stay in. Another reason is that I really want to be a politician later in life. Lastly I feel that a law degree could open many doors and is a good thing to have to fall back on. It is very useful in getting a job in DEA, FBI, CIA, Secret Service and those are all things I'm interested in. If I do get out I'll work with Blackwater Security for a few years assuming things are still brewing in Iraq as I assume they will be for the indefinite future.

1Day-ACobra

I'm workin on it
Established Member
TacticalKaos said:
I'm going to law school for several reasons. First and foremost I have always been obsessed with the judicary system, it's internal processes and statutes it consist of. Secondly I need to get a Masters Degree in something to further my military career. Nearly all Special Forces officers have a secondary degree and I'd also like the option of being a JAG later in my career if I choose to have a family and stay in. Another reason is that I really want to be a politician later in life. Lastly I feel that a law degree could open many doors and is a good thing to have to fall back on. It is very useful in getting a job in DEA, FBI, CIA, Secret Service and those are all things I'm interested in. If I do get out I'll work with Blackwater Security for a few years assuming things are still brewing in Iraq as I assume they will be for the indefinite future.

Then you have nothing to worry about! You sound perfectly capable of breezing through law school. Don't feel like you're "out of [your] league." You should be making the other guys at the law school feel intimidated. Just give them some of that military attitude!!!!

TacticalKaos

Established Member
1Day-ACobra said:
Then you have nothing to worry about! You sound perfectly capable of breezing through law school. Don't feel like you're "out of [your] league." You should be making the other guys at the law school feel intimidated. Just give them some of that military attitude!!!!

In all honesty I attribute nearly all what I call success to the Army. Being a leader teaches you so much. How to set an example, how to be self motivated, how to achieve goals and in this case, how to carry yourself professionally. I hope I'll be fine. Time to buckle down a little more. Figures I happened to come to college when LSU is doing great at football.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
You always feel out of your league when stepping into something new. If you ignore that and buckle down and get to work you will find yourself looking back and saying "what an Idiot I was for feeling that way" LOL!

I am a contractor with the military and found that Majors, Cols, Generals, are not nearly as imtimidating as I always thought they were ... Remember that everyone puts their pants on the same way you do .. one leg at a time .. they are no different that you ... their job is different but other than that they are no different than you or anybody else ..

Sounds to me like you have a plan .. focus on it and stick to it ... you will go far if you do ...

95Stealth302

Established Member
Maybe this is tooo sappy, but I always remember this Morgan Freeman quote..."Get busy living, or get busy dying, that's damn right."

I attend school at Washington University in St. Louis, one of the harder schools in the nation. I'm a mechanical engineer, and although I'm not contemplating graduate school as of right now, I understand how you feel. I'm incredibly intimidated by this school and the pressure of doing well. Everyone here graduated in the top 10 of their high school class, and it seems at times that everyone else is doing well while I experience failures.

There's hope though. You know you're smart, you've studied hard to make the GPA that you have, so you obviously know how to take on challenges, and think critically. Go to law school with the same demeanor, it's a minor obstacle on the path to your goal, and you can do whatever you set your mind too. People limit themselves by what they think they can't achieve, since someone else is "probably doing a better job," but you have unique skills to bring to the table, and someone will notice that someday and hire you. Hit the books, go to the library, dont booze, you'll graduate with flying colors and walk down the road of life that you choose to. Who's going to prevent that?? Certainly not a grandiose building with neat offices.

Last edited:

TacticalKaos

Established Member
95Stealth302 said:
Certainly not a grandiose building with neat offices.

Yeah, F*** those offices. I guess you guys are right, I'm blowing things out of proportion. I have a feeling Natural Light will make much less money off me in the coming semesters. Oh well, gotta do what u you gotta do.

Users who are viewing this thread