Help me connect my boost gauge!

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
I already searched around and couldn't find any solutions to my problem, and I apologize in advance for such a NeWb question, but...

I bought my truck a few years back with a cowl hood complete with fuel pressure and boost gauges (seen below).
car009.jpg

The boost gauge was fully functional, but the fuel pressure gauge was not. 2 years ago when I decided to sell the truck, I brought it to my garage and my mechanic put the whole thing back to stock. This year, I put the hood back on, and I am just getting to hooking up the boost gauge again. This is what the entire situation looks like...
car005.jpg

This is what the boost line from the gauge looked like when the hood was off the truck
car008.jpg

One of the mechanics at the shop pulled the rubber connector off so the line looks like this
car006.jpg

and plugged her in here (in the second vac line port)
car003.jpg

while the boost gauge now fuctions, it never reads above 0. It vac's around -15 and boosts up to 0 but never above. As I am running a 4# lower, I should be seeing about 12-13psi.

I feel like my boost line must have been connected somewhere else under the hood (not on the interior under the dash), but cannot figure out for the life of me where it should go and what the black rubber connector is for.

What the hell do I do? Thanks in advance guys

FOR REFERENCE: I have the boost byepass mod (also done by the previous owner).
car010.jpg

Silver04L

93 Octane Member
Established Member
you could cut the boost line where it goes through the firewall (I'd do it a few inches before the firewall) and put in a T connector, the single side connect to the boost line on the motor side of the cut and the other end, where it goes to firewall in one of the other sides, then your gauge's line to the last free port

Silver04L

93 Octane Member
Established Member
no, I would think the needle would not rise to 0 if it was busted. Its reading vacuum right?

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
no, I would think the needle would not rise to 0 if it was busted. Its reading vacuum right?

yeah its reading vacuum... i dont think it's broken. i just dont think i had it hooked up in the same place as it was originally hooked up when my mechanic hooked it up this week (if for no other reason than there is that extra rubber connector that was originally used to hook the boost line up)

as far as putting it through the firewall, i would much rather not do that because i already know that there is some place it can be connected to in the engine compartment

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Just "tee" into the boost/vacuum source for the factory gauge cluster, it has it's own black colored hose and a very decently large circular gromet going into the firewall. If you trace that hose back towards the engine, there are multiple spots where you can "tee" into.

Silver04L

93 Octane Member
Established Member
yeah its reading vacuum... i dont think it's broken. i just dont think i had it hooked up in the same place as it was originally hooked up when my mechanic hooked it up this week (if for no other reason than there is that extra rubber connector that was originally used to hook the boost line up)

as far as putting it through the firewall, i would much rather not do that because i already know that there is some place it can be connected to in the engine compartment

if there isn't a T fitting in there now, then they probably disconnected the factory gauge. I am not saying to route it through the firewall, I am saying to just cut that line and reconnect it with a T fitting

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
So you bought the truck, wanted to sell it, and are now putting the gauges back in it?

bought the truck in 04... traded it in in 06 for a 2001 z06, got it back 3 days later... remodded it and recently put the hood back on. the gauges are in the hood and need to be re-connected

right now, however, im thinking about getting rid of it for a cobra. all depends on if i can sell my dd for a good price

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
sounds like you have already traded for a better car, a Z06.

i had an 02, best vehicle i have ever owned.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Sell me the hood cheap and ill show you how to hook it back up
Just about any vac line under the hood can be tee'd into to make the guage work...... and deff any of the ones that come off the mid plate on the driver side.

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
sounds like you have already traded for a better car, a Z06.

i had an 02, best vehicle i have ever owned.

well it was a trade plus 7,500 bones... and the z just wasnt raw and abnoxious enough for me. i wanted more usable power and more grunt. at the time, i just couldnt justify spending more money on mods for the z.

since then, i have driven a few vettes and i just dont think i'm a vette person.

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
Sell me the hood cheap and ill show you how to hook it back up
Just about any vac line under the hood can be tee'd into to make the guage work...... and deff any of the ones that come off the mid plate on the driver side.

herein lies my problem... i dont know where all the vac lines are... i am SURE one of them is already tee'd off where the gauge was originally plugged in. i just dont know where it would be.

would it be too much to ask for someone to take a pic of an engine/use the pic of my engine i posted above and point out the location of all the vac lines?

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
thanks andre... i checked that out when i was searching for a solution, but i need to find a vac line in the engine compartment. the line to the boost gauge isnt long enough to extend through the firewall

Users who are viewing this thread