help me find my missing MPH

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
So the first time I ever ran my car I was trapping in the 104.5 105 mph range with 2.10.2-20 60 ft. Best run then was a 13.9. Then the next time I went out I was trapping in the 100-101 mph range with 2.10-2.20 60 ft. Only change in between that I can think of was changing over to COP.

Tonight I went to the track and had two runs. First was a terrible 14.35 at 100.98 and the second was a 13.95 at 100.89. I was shifting 1-4 at around 7 grand and cut a 1.98 60 ft as I now have 4.30's (also had heavier 18 inch saleens). My second run at the eight was also only 98.94 mph, whereas my slower run was 80.4 mph. I bogged the first run and then foot peddled the second. Tires were only cleaned off with a quick burnout (MT ET street radials) I iwll say I may have shifted a tad early by about 3-400 rpm in the 3rd-4th shift as I am not used to the 4.30s yet.

I just feel like something is wrong with this car considering it dynoed at 313 on the race tune a few years back and the first time out it felt like it was flying. I feel like it had pep, and now I feel like something is missing. It ran its best on a much hotter humid day compared to the last two runs that had nice cool air. It makes me think the COPs are not doing as good a job as the stock. What do you all think? Am I crazy, is it the driver mod, or is the car actually slower than it should be for the mods? Could the tune not be uploading correctly or reverting to stock without my knowledge?

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
not sure, track is at sea level. Temperatures the last two times were mid sixties at night, cool dense air, the best time I ever ran was ion a hot 88 degree day. To me with my mods, I would expect it to trap anywhere from 106-108.

I did have to take the car back to the tuner to get an adjustment to turn off the light for the secondary air injection. Maybe the wrong tune was loaded for the dyno tune. I just don't know.

4valved

Banned
My call is rim weight as for the cops I've heard that they aren't great for power and I've heard they are better so Idk how you lost couple mph there.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I could understand the rim weight a bit, except last time the car ran on shitty gatorback 17's and the mph fell then too. Now I have much better tires and 4.30s and I cut my best 60ft and yet the car isn't any faster. I know something is wrong based on my mods, just not sure what. I'm leaning toward the tune, and am wondering if for some reason it is not uploading correctly. Anyone know a way I can check the parameters on my SCT tuner to see if there is a difference between my street and race tunes?

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Horsepower by Hermann, car ran great after the initial tune. Had to have it tweaked to turn off a the secondary air injection after that because they just forgot to tune it out. No big deal, and I just drove in and they fixed it with an upload of the new tune. So if it is the tune it just means either the wrong one was uploaded by accident as my race tune or something got keyed in by accident because the initial tune was great. Problem is determining if that is the issue.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
no IMRC on the car anymore, tuned out. I loaded the stock tune back in, and then put the race tune in after. I will see if there is a seat of the pants difference.

Toasty

Established Member
My call is rim weight as for the cops I've heard that they aren't great for power and I've heard they are better so Idk how you lost couple mph there.

COPs arent great for power?

Care to back this up with some sources? Terminators make just fine power with COPs.

4valved

Banned
^^^ please re read my post I stated I've heard they are better for power and I've heard they aren't better

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
The problem with COPs is for people who converted cars that did not originally have them as factory equipment. My estimates shows the car is anywhere from 35-50 hp off.

Users who are viewing this thread