Help me with my rear window lock issue!!!

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
so the plastic release portion of the rear slider window in my truck cracked (conveniently where the pin that holds the latch to the portion that's attached to the window slides in). as a result, i can no longer lock my rear window.

i purchased a replacement latch and mount from ford, but my glass guy told me that there is no way to remove the mount and attach the new one... that i would essentially need an entire new rear window. seeing as how he has nothing to gain from my replacing an entire rear window (id buy the parts from ford and he doesn't charge me for work), i tend to believe what he tells me. that being said, i find it very hard to believe that nobody else has had to deal with this same problem...

has anyone else had to deal with this issue? what did you do?! where can i get this taken care of in northern NJ?

thanks in advance guys :beer:

BT2001SVT

I'm an Agent of CHAOS!!
Established Member
My first Lightning had that exact same problem. i bought it used and as I was rolling off the lot I discovered that back latch was broken. i turned the truck around to have the dealership address the issue and they made me bring it back the next day to fix the window. long story short, the service guy told me the same thing, had to replace the entired back window, there was no way to just remove the broken latch and replace with a new one without damaging the window itself.

BT

qurtrn10

Established Member
Why then would Ford sell pieces that you can't use as pieces? That makes no sense.

qurtrn10

Established Member
I googled, and found that one guy removed his latch by heating the back side of the glass, and softening the glue until he could gently twist off the old latch. He doesn't say what to use to attach the new one. Looks like it could be a little bit of a pain, but definitely possible.

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
Why then would Ford sell pieces that you can't use as pieces? That makes no sense.

exactly what i have been thinking to myself for the past year while this stupid latch was sitting in my center console!!!!

i think the reattaching wont be a problem, i'll certainly talk to my garage guys to see if theyre willing to give it a try.

if that doesnt work, i plan on just using some sort of ghetto rig clamp to hold the window shut. any suggestions? i want small, metal, strong, black?

BT2001SVT

I'm an Agent of CHAOS!!
Established Member

My truck was under warantee at the time, maybe the service dept wanted to collect from the warantee company. I researched it the night I brought it home and was told I could buy the latch itself, but was advized from a glass company that I would have to end up replacing the rear window because I would screw up the glass trying to get the broken on off. I was under the same impression that I could just heat up the glue and remove and replace, but once Ford and the glass copany both advised against it that's where i left it. I even considered going with a solid rear window that night, but They ended up fixing it anyway under warantee and didn't cost me anything.

I was basically replying that i experienced the same problem and was told the same thing, that I would end up having to replace the entire rear window:shrug:

My issue ended up working itself out though, I hope you get it fixed without having to spend too much.

BT

Last edited:

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
heat it up and the epoxy will come loose. what do you have to lose? if it breaks, and i dont think it will, you are still in the same boat.

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
heat it up and the epoxy will come loose. what do you have to lose? if it breaks, and i dont think it will, you are still in the same boat.

exactly what i am thinking.

to be honest with you, the thing that i am most worried about is losing the red "SVT" logo that is painted in the bottom left hand corner of the rear window. i wonder if ford still stocks this piece or if id just get a standard blank window

Users who are viewing this thread