Help new mustang owner

2002GT

First let me start by saying that I am a big GM performance guy.
But lately I have been admiring the new mustangs.... they just look and sound great. Then one day in my neighborhood... which happens to be infested with imports with the big wings, stickers, fart cans, etc..a known local with an 11 sec. civic got his doors handed to him on a plate by a supercharged 2001 Mustang.
Boy did that mustang put the smack down on that import....
When I saw that mustang get air under its front wheels on the 1st to 2nd shift on the street ....I WAS HOOKED!!!....The very next day I drove out of a dealer with a 2002 2v 5speed GT.

Now the question is?.....Where do I start?

what are some no cost tweaking tricks to start with?

And What kind of ETs should I expect with some fine tuning to a stock motor??

Please help .. I Don't want to fall victim to RICE when driving home from work.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
GEARS!! First thing, 4:10's definitely if it's an auto, maybe down to 3:73's for a stick if you're worried about streetability...I don't know to much about the 4.6's I'm still a 5.0 purist, but there are lots of guys here that can tell you more than I could.

TIAMAT

Established Member
Spintech exhaust

Get the spintech exhaust ASAP. The sound is incredible, unlike nothing you ever heard before. If you don't mind no converters get the dr. gas x-pipe with it.:beer:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
First easy mods are

Pullies $170 ish
Timing Adjusters $170 ish
Ditch the silencer boot FREE
Add a K&N $40 ish
Weld in some mufflers $200 ish installed
70mm Throttle body $180 ish

The newer GT's have a decent exhaust on them. The mufflers are a bit restrictive though.
Keeping two high flow cats is not a bad idea. Whether you prefer H or X design. You still need to maintain some backpressure to keep your power band in your engine's operating range. Bear in mind that if you change to an offroad or high flow H/X pipe you WILL need the MIL eliminators.

The pullies,timing adjusters,throttle body,K&N, and silencer removal are all things that can be done in the driveway with a few tools, and a little know how. The mufflers you obviously need to have welded up.
Gears are a good choice, but expect to spend around $500,00 for the complete install. Remember the 99+ Stangs have to have an electronic compensator if the gear is changed.

Gear $190 ish
Compensator $100 ish
Install $250 ish

These are just a few ideas. Best thing to do would be buy a few magazines. Take a few trips to the track. See how yours does stock, and compare it to the ones with the mods you'd like to do. Another foot note is that the 2002 GT's got an 85mm MAF vs the 80mm MAF the 96-2001's have.

1qwkpny

Established Member
mods

:burn:
First off the afformentioned suggestions are right on the money, however I prefer long tube headers,off road x-pipe(2.5in dia), and flowmaster american thunder 2 chambers. The x-pipe/muffler kit is a simple driveway install. The 3.73's are great, but while your back there I would suggest you install aftermarket upper/lower control arms; the boxed (stock length) uppers and megabite jr's from HP motorsport have served me well. Subframe connectors are easily made at home if you know how to weld and are a MUST if you are going to be making any power at all. Now to really lay into the local yocals you might consider adding the new "direct port" nitrous kit from N.O.S. or put on pretty much any one of superchargers of course if you're going that route then you might want to consider Power Heads for some ported replacements or just get yours done and don't forget the Bullet intake.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by 2002GT

Now the question is?.....Where do I start?

what are some no cost tweaking tricks to start with?

And What kind of ETs should I expect with some fine tuning to a stock motor??

Please help .. I Don't want to fall victim to RICE when driving home from work.

My 2001 GT was wearing a BB&K cold air induction only when it ran the time in my sig. Granted I was driving the DOG !@#* out of it. The launch is critical. Too light on the throttle and you bog, too heavy and you spin. Get this down and the rest is second nature.The 2002 should be a hair quicker since it has a larger MAF and a couple other goodies. ;-)

blackfang

Established Member
Gears are great. Stick with the 3.73's. A good exhaust will help, however long tube headers will do nothing substantial until you improve what is going in vice coming out. A good suspension setup, nitrous( NX is great,NOS). Now for 1/4 times, thats tricky. So much plays into factor. Tires, suspension, mods, experience.

I have been to the track and made 2 runs in my life. I have street raced plenty. I suck at the track. It takes practice. My tires suck for performance traction, the car has 88k on it, but she still has the potential. It just takes practice,practice, and more practice.

Users who are viewing this thread