Help, No Reverse!

2003SLVRSNAKE

Established Member
Hey guys, need some insight on my issue. Just recently had a new clutch (McCleod) flywheel, and 26 spline input shaft install. Maybe 3000 miles ago. Initially, the car was hard to go into reverse. Not too bad but it took little effort than normal. Slowly through the months, going reverse was getting worse and now it won't go into reverse at all. I have to put it into reverse without the car running. And then, start the car and backup. Also, now it's hard going into 1st. I can turn the switch on without starting the car and cycle through all the gears with ease leading me to think the transmission is ok. I change the fluid, the clutch cable and the reverse lockout solenoid with no luck. What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Are you running the stock or aftermarket quadrant? It sounds like the clutch needs adjustment.

railroad

Established Member
Your clutch is not releasing. You need to adj the cable or firewall adjuster, whatever you have.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I adjusted the clutch all way down to the floor. Then, gradually adjusted upward while checking it every few turns to the point it was really high. Should I be trying a different approach?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I would look through the inspection cover on the trans, people argue about this but basically the TOB should be just touching or damned near touching the pressure plate fingers. You do NOT want any preload on the PP fingers

railroad

Established Member
The throw out bearing should not touch the clutch fingers or arms. The bearing is not rated for continuous engine rpm speeds. If it makes contact, it will spin continuously and be short lived.
It sounds like you have enough range in your adjuster. I did not understand your description.
Looking through the clutch arm window on the bell housing is good, if possible.
Where you are now, your cable needs shortening. What ever you have to do on your adjuster to accomplish this.
You should be able to roll the car with trans in gear and clutch pushed in, and have clearance on the throwout bearing with the clutch released. This will be safe for the throwout bearing and fully releasing the clutch for no slippage.
I have not had to buy parts for this situation, but read the Ford brand cable is the way to go.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The throw out bearing should not touch the clutch fingers or arms. The bearing is not rated for continuous engine rpm speeds. If it makes contact, it will spin continuously and be short lived.
It sounds like you have enough range in your adjuster. I did not understand your description.
Looking through the clutch arm window on the bell housing is good, if possible.
Where you are now, your cable needs shortening. What ever you have to do on your adjuster to accomplish this.
You should be able to roll the car with trans in gear and clutch pushed in, and have clearance on the throwout bearing with the clutch released. This will be safe for the throwout bearing and fully releasing the clutch for no slippage.
I have not had to buy parts for this situation, but read the Ford brand cable is the way to go.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
There's differing opinions on this. I've always had the TOB touching the fingers and never had an issue that way. I'm pretty sure even the stock quadrant keeps a little tension on the TOB. At least it does in my son's GT.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
The bearing is not rated for continuous engine rpm speeds. If it makes contact, it will spin continuously and be short lived.

I don't think that is correct because the the stock pawl and quadrant forces a very slight-but-continuous preload on the bearing. As designed from the factory, it's running against the fingers at all times. Pulling up on the pedal until you hear a click (the stock setup's "adjustment") loosens the cable enough to allow for more room as the clutch wears and the fingers rise, but the springs in the mechanism always return it to the point of contact.

As mentioned though, the op's problem is that he is not getting enough disc release, and sounds like he is running out of room as the miles add up.

Users who are viewing this thread