Help - Pin 56 removal from connector VMP install

cheeser

Established Member
B2FC3A33-93E8-43D6-9E3C-673B2F0DF21D.jpeg
Finally near the end of this install, but ran into a stumbling block...can’t figure out how to remove the pin from the connector in order to solder the new wire to it.

Peering down into the front of connector, I don’t see a locking pin to depress. Is it part of the connector? I looked at the new cable with the pin on it, and didn’t see any tab on it either as shown in attachment.

Bit frustrating so close to the end.

cheeser

Established Member
Looked again...I think I see a very small plastic tab at bottom...almost appears I need a depinning tool...small and still enough to insert into front.

cheeser

Established Member
10AA1CB4-5E41-4D47-AD87-713C6F00CB05.jpeg

Got it...stepped back and relooked at problem. Wen out and bought a few thin long cotter pins and filed down a bit...used as a depinning tool.

cheeser

Established Member
F5FEFF67-B473-484C-A4A0-916E098058C2.jpeg

Yes...got her running today. To be honest, was a bit nervous when I went to start it the first time as I also replaced the oil pump gears.

Seems to idle fine and rev up to 4000ish rpm. Have to put the nose on tomorrow and see how it runs. Keeping my fingers crossed the issue initial VMP tune works out.

Ironically, the hardest part of this install was figuring out how to disconnect everything. The instructions could have been better, but figured it out.

FJohnny

Established Member
LOL. This thread brings back great memories. Great now, but not good at the time. First de-pin took an hour and the rest took about a minute each.

For anyone doing this in the future, take a paper clip, unbend the first straight piece so it sticks out and flatten it slightly with a hammer into a really small 'screw driver' like end. It will be perfect size to de-pin. It's like picking your first lock. Easy the second time.

Congrats on initial start up. A real relief, huh? 'Thank God I didn't permanently ruin anything...' definitely went through my head. Now you're in for the fun part.

cheeser

Established Member
LOL. This thread brings back great memories. Great now, but not good at the time. First de-pin took an hour and the rest took about a minute each.
Congrats on initial start up. A real relief, huh? 'Thank God I didn't permanently ruin anything...' definitely went through my head. Now you're in for the fun part.

Extremely frustrating when trying to get this done. I think I have about 20 hours in this install, but that includes swapping out the oil pump gears as well. If I had to do it again, could shave off quite a bit of time.

As I was swapping out the gears, I did wonder what did I get myself in to. Glad to see I’m not the only one that was apprehensive about the first start up.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I did this same install a little over a year ago and had the same thoughts when swapping the oil pump gears. I definitely wondered if it would all go back together. First start up I was extremely nervous but all went well. I'm sure the vmp tune will be fine, do you plan to datalog. I would think the base tune is really conservative. Post up initial driving impressions after you take it for a spin.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

cheeser

Established Member
I did this same install a little over a year ago and had the same thoughts when swapping the oil pump gears. I definitely wondered if it would all go back together. First start up I was extremely nervous but all went well. I'm sure the vmp tune will be fine, do you plan to datalog. I would think the base tune is really conservative. Post up initial driving impressions after you take it for a spin.

I would like to datalog this week, as my initial tune was setup for 91 octane (Colorado) and a 82mm pulley to try and compensate for our altitude in the Denver area...want to see if it’s performing correctly.

I’m also trying to schedule time on a dyno this week before I head to the Steamboat Springs Mustang Roundup later this week.

TVSed GT

Established Member
Congrats man! I was also a nervous wreck before hitting the key after my vmp and opg install.
I did 3 datalogs for vmp and they never sent me a revised tune, it’s typically spot on the 1st time but you should definitely go through the process to be sure everything looks good.
Let us know what you think of your new setup

cheeser

Established Member
I did 3 datalogs for vmp and they never sent me a revised tune, it’s typically spot on the 1st time but you should definitely go through the process to be sure everything looks good.

Took it out for a 20 mile run today...was easy on it as I just wanted to verify all is well. Seemed to run well at idle and on the road.

I’m a little underwhelmed at power under 2000 rpm, but it is much more responsive as revs come up...hits 7000 much quicker. Too early to say too much, but it acts well on the street.

Did you follow up with VMP for the datalogs and why they didn’t send an update...i.e. wasn’t needed, they didn’t follow through, etc?

I’m not looking to find every last HP, but want to make sure we have the optimal tune....we paid for that. Until I get it on a local dyno, tough to say if it’s living up to a reasonable potential.

TVSed GT

Established Member
Took it out for a 20 mile run today...was easy on it as I just wanted to verify all is well. Seemed to run well at idle and on the road.

I’m a little underwhelmed at power under 2000 rpm, but it is much more responsive as revs come up...hits 7000 much quicker. Too early to say too much, but it acts well on the street.

Did you follow up with VMP for the datalogs and why they didn’t send an update...i.e. wasn’t needed, they didn’t follow through, etc?

I’m not looking to find every last HP, but want to make sure we have the optimal tune....we paid for that. Until I get it on a local dyno, tough to say if it’s living up to a reasonable potential.
They were very responsive and got back to me after each log. They indicated each time that everything looked good and no change needed.

Users who are viewing this thread