Help - Strange Screeching Sound from Engine (not a belt)

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
Ok -

I just went to the gas station and fill her up and then pulling into the driveway I heard this rather LOUD screeching sound. I left her at an idle and the sound repeated "by itself" without any throttle from me about every 90 seconds. No A/C or anything was turned on.
I then opened the hood and just barley flicked the throttle about to 1.2k and it repeated every time. I thought maybe a belt is loose as it sound like that's it right? But, the sound seems to be coming from the rear "down low" area of the engine? Maybe I am hearing it wrong but that's where it sounds like...engine runs fine...no smoke, smells, good idle and no lights or gauges out of spec. Hummmm...any ideas? It was dark so a morning inspection is in order.

Thanks -

1998 Cobra N/A 25,900 miles

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
OK - I've done some research....those two are clutch related...hummm. What the heck...with 25k of "easy" driving. That would really be a bummer....Not a cheap fix right?

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
I'll be checking it in the morning with some additional light. That's the pulley that is located where????? Is it the one that helps keep tension on the serp. belt??

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Get a can of belt dressing (local autoparts store), and spray the belt and see if it goes away. If it does, it could be the belt or a pulley

ksigatmsu7f02

Established Member
It would be unlikely that either the TOB or pilot bushing would be out....if they are you could do them yourself...you just have to pull the transmission....or pay someone to do it....kinda expensive for what it is...

You more than likely are having one of the other issues mentioned though....the way you describe it sounds more like a belt problem....

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
Ok - cool. I will be checking this out when I get home from work today and reporting back to you guys what I find out. Thanks for all of the help in where to start looking.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Im willing to bet money on a 25k mile, 11year old belt...

Is your belt developing cracks around the edges of the belt?

If you twist the belt where it goes flat after the alternator pulley on the right side of the motor, you shouldnt be able to more than 90 degrees (from flat to the edge of the belt pointing straight up) or around a 1/4 turn..

More belt play could mean a few things...

1) worn belt
2) wrong size belt
3) bad tensioner

Id think its the 1st option..

Let us know what you find...

Last edited:

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
take a candle and push it up against the ribbed side of the belt while car is running, quiets squeaky belts like a charm

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Get a new belt for starters. Mine was really squeaky when I bought mine. Get a new belt and go from there.

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
Im willing to bet money on a 25k mile, 11year old belt...

Is your belt developing cracks around the edges of the belt?

If you twist the belt where it goes flat after the alternator pulley on the right side of the motor, you shouldnt be able to more than 90 degrees (from flat to the edge of the belt pointing straight up) or around a 1/4 turn..

More belt play could mean a few things...

1) worn belt
2) wrong size belt
3) bad tensioner

Id think its the 1st option..

Let us know what you find...

I agree, I'd start with the belt and tensioners first. It's really difficult to pinpoint a sound in an engine with all the moving parts. You'd be amazed how sound travels in this pile of metal.

Users who are viewing this thread