Help to identify shifter

JC-RH

Established Member
I recently bought a 2004 Cobra. Been tackling things for the past couple weeks.

Can someone help me identify this current shifter? I’m a bit hesitant to remove it. I’m not in love with it, and reverse takes some effort.

Attachments

• 1599D8A9-DF6C-4D76-915C-82456C58657C.jpeg
    1599D8A9-DF6C-4D76-915C-82456C58657C.jpeg
    974 KB · Views: 136

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
cant say, remove the rubber so we can see more. All your really showing is a handle.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
The handle looks like a upr. Got to pull the cover like mentioned to find out the rest.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Removing the boot is as easy as removing the four bolts. But there an unknown cable that runs through the boot on yours. I've never seen that before. By the way, removing your shifter and replacing it with an improved aftermarket shifter is very easy. It's like a 20 minute job.

If you do replace your shifter, save yourself the hassle of dealing with silicone sealer and get one of my shifter gasket kits. The kit also pretty much eliminates transmission related noise that passes through your metal shifter into the cabin. Here's the link if you need it. 2003-2004 Cobra Shifter Gasket Kit

JC-RH

Established Member
Thanks guys. It’s a Hurst shifter. Are there different models? And would you guys recommend something like the MGW? If so, are there different versions?

I’m thinking about picking up a used one.

Attachments

• 2F6128C6-BFAF-4BFC-BC48-34A7EA2F181A.jpeg
    2F6128C6-BFAF-4BFC-BC48-34A7EA2F181A.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 90

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
There's a few different models. I think MGW is the most popular here. I've had it in 3 different cars. The only other shifters I have experience with are the B&M Ripper and Steeda Triax. I prefer MGW over both.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The MGW would be the top recommendation. No other shifter compares to its technology. That said, there are a lot of folks who prefer their TriAx, Pro 5.0, B&M, etc. shifter. That's why there are shifter choices. Different strokes for different folks.
1632398647663.png

quad

Established Member
Speaking of the shifter, I just noticed recently while replacing the head unit of the Cobra again with a wireless Carplay unit that the shifter bezel moves around slightly when rowing through gears.

I was shifting gears with the car off in the garage to test the fit of a few things and it caught my eye. I took the shifter bezel out again and noticed one clip was missing from one of the four plastic fingers that slide into a slot in the center console.

So the bezel had a slightly loose fit. I tracked down a set of 4 clips at National Parts Depot the next day and reinstalled the bezel with all 4 clips in place. It was a tighter fit but the bezel will still move a little when shifting. I never really noticed this movement because usually I only shift when driving and not paying attention to the bezel.

JC-RH - can you check if that also happens with your car? Shift while it is off and keep an eye on the bezel and let me know if yours also slides around a little. I'd appreciate it!

Maybe the boot needs to be adjusted around my MGW shifter a little.

The clips can also be found at LMR. here's a link:

mustang-shifter-bezel-clips-for-manual-transmission-94-04_53b8b0b6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread