Help... Trying to Figure Out Noise

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
Okay... So when I start the truck there's what sounds like an exhaust leak from the passenger side. At first it sounds like an exhaust leak combined with slight belt squeal but then the squeal goes away almost immediately and then it just sounds like a leak for a few more seconds and then goes away completely (until the next time the truck is started)... and it seems to be a bit worse when started cold. I'll see if I can record it when it stops raining.

It's not an exhaust leak and it's not a spark plug about to go. All the belts have been checked and so have the pulleys. I thought it might've been the a/c compressor clutch pak but its not. I then thought it might've been the starter bendix or something but again the starter is fine. Now with a steth I think I have it narrowed down to the timing chain vicinity. Someone mentioned that it could be the timing chain tensioner if its operated by oil pressure. I'm stumped though... so any ideas??? :shrug:

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
posted on other site...

Could be accesory idler pulley on driver side going out on ya.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Not sayin that it is the problem but we have had a few problems with timing chain tensioners bleeding down and they make noise on startup. It's more of a rattle noise though than an exhaust leak tick.

Just an option to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread