Help with beater car...

281cubes

Wish I Had an SVT
-Car is a '93 Probe GT (2.5 V6) Problem in itself, I know, but anyway...

Last seen alive - Had it out last Friday during a big snowstorm here (WI). Ran fine to and from school (about 40 miles). Got stuck a few times on the way home and got somewhat aggressive with the throttle to get it "unstuck."

Sunday, I tried to start it and all it would do was crank, sputter like it was thinking about turning over, then resort to cranking again. This goes on as long as I hold the key.

Tried jumping it even though it is a two-month-old battery. No change.

Thought maybe it was a frozen fuel line. Added some HEET to it last night (Monday) and let it soak in. Tried to start it again this afternoon. Same cranking/sputtering nonsense, though the sputter seemed more promising, if that makes sense. Pushed it into the garage to aid in the potential melting process while I was at work. Came home only to have the same results.

Tried resetting the fuel pump (it has a button in the trunk like the Stangs do). Nothing. Had a friend open and close the TB while I cranked. Nothing.

Pulled out three of the two-month-old plugs connected to week-old wires. All proved that it was certainly getting fuel (smell).

Now, I have been having some trouble with an erratic idle at times; when I push the clutch in as I'm decelerating to a stop, the idle bobs up and down from 1000rpm to 1500prm. Sometimes turning off the defroster stops this and one time I turned off the headlights and it went away, so who knows what that's about...

WTF, man?:shrug:

Sorry for the long post.:rolleyes:

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
check the schrader valve to see if it is getting gas. do you hear the fuel pump come on? i had one of those fuel cut off switches go bad and it took me a while to figure out that was the problem. good luck.

281cubes

Wish I Had an SVT
I pulled out three of the plugs lat night and there was definitely gas blasting in there, so I'm leaning toward a spark issue. Evidently, it is not uncommon for the distributors on these cars to go regularly.

Any other thoughts?

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Ignition coil/coil pack, ignition module, distributor, cap and rotor if it has it, etc...

Im not familiar with the car so Im not sure on all the equipment it has. If it has a certain type of ignition module, then you can get that tested at Advance Auto. I doubt it has that type though.

Users who are viewing this thread