help with my gt?

SteveKnight77

Established Member
2003 GT ok im going to do some upgrade work and my rack and pinion is bad so im going to start there, any suggestions?

Last edited:

Marvin9075

Established Member
I bought mine off of American muscle, OPR rack and pinion. It was $399. I returned the CORE to a local parts store and got money for it, so it wasn't as expensive to buy. It came with new bushings and inner tie rods already installed. Went it nice and easy. The only difficult part was putting the new O rings on the end of the power steering lines that connect into the rack and pinion. I used a cup of hot water to let the o rings sit in so they went on a little easier.

SteveKnight77

Established Member
I bought mine off of American muscle, OPR rack and pinion. It was $399. I returned the CORE to a local parts store and got money for it, so it wasn't as expensive to buy. It came with new bushings and inner tie rods already installed. Went it nice and easy. The only difficult part was putting the new O rings on the end of the power steering lines that connect into the rack and pinion. I used a cup of hot water to let the o rings sit in so they went on a little easier.
Yeah I saw those on there but I'm not sure that's really a upgrade is it? Aren't they a remanufactured part? Do you know if the cobra ones are the same or if they interchange? I'm thinking I'm trying to get a lighter/better than stock one. If I can't figure it out I guess the opr is where I'll go.

Marvin9075

Established Member
Flaming river is another company that makes one, but I believe its a manual rack. When I put the OPR one in it felt much better then the old stock one. Felt like an upgrade to me, but mine had 120k on it.

SteveKnight77

Established Member
Flaming river is another company that makes one, but I believe its a manual rack. When I put the OPR one in it felt much better then the old stock one. Felt like an upgrade to me, but mine had 120k on it.
Right on I may be going that way. I Also just ordered some Bullitt rim and tire package from AM should be here soon, I'm pumped about that but now I see the upgrade madness coming lol.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Upgrade madness is a terminal illness for the wallet...

Keep it up!
This is true.

I said I liked having Mustang that was mostly stock. At some point a lot changed.

A SCT tuner with crap tunes took place. Then there was an MGW shifter. I tinted my tail lights (they needed to match the windows). A Mach 1 chin and grill delete found its way onto the car.

Did the madness stop? No, and it's still going. Tubular rear control arms, a CAI, O/R H-Pipe, and Flowmaster Super 10s are on the car. There is also a set of FRPP C springs on poly isolators, and a pair of Steeda X2 ball joints. There is a 3.73 gear in the rear end.

I will stop there. Once you start, it becomes an addiction stronger than crack.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SteveKnight77

Established Member
This is true.

I said I liked having Mustang that was mostly stock. At some point a lot changed.

A SCT tuner with crap tunes took place. Then there was an MGW shifter. I tinted my tail lights (they needed to match the windows). A Mach 1 chin and grill delete found its way onto the car.

Did the madness stop? No, and it's still going. Tubular rear control arms, a CAI, O/R H-Pipe, and Flowmaster Super 10s are on the car. There is also a set of FRPP C springs on poly isolators, and a pair of Steeda X2 ball joints. There is a 3.73 gear in the rear end.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app[/QUOTE lol I believe that but it's a way better addiction than crack atleast

Sluggie24

Established Member
Understand that performance work on a car adds up fast and you will be lucky to get 20 cents back on every $1 you spend if you ever sell the car. Do it because you love it and with your own hands. Paying someone else to do the work is like setting $ on fire.

A steering rack is just maintnance. Worry when you start pricing up short blocks, heads, cams and superchargers.

SteveKnight77

Established Member
Understand that performance work on a car adds up fast and you will be lucky to get 20 cents back on every $1 you spend if you ever sell the car. Do it because you love it and with your own hands. Paying someone else to do the work is like setting $ on fire.

A steering rack is just maintnance. Worry when you start pricing up short blocks, heads, cams and superchargers.
Right, I was told the rack isn't really that important as long as it works.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

All of this is true. This is what separates an enthusiast and hobbyist from a car owner.

Sluggie24

Established Member
Im still personally trying to decide if the cost of getting the teksid block that's sitting in my garage built by someone else is high enough to justify buying all the special tools i would need to do it myself. (Special tools are expensive to just use one or two times)

Get my stock heads ported and rebuilt or get TFS heads?

Sell a kidney to pay for parts or just keep saving up?

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
A lot of the specialty tools you need be borrowed/rented from the local parts store.

I normally forget this until I have called every person I know looking for said tool.

SteveKnight77

Established Member
Right, I was told the rack isn't really that important as long as it works.
And to add to that I just love mustangs this is my 4th one. I had a 79 with a 351 it was bought that way. I also had a 83 and 84 but I was younger and not ready to spend the money and didn't appreciate what I had but now I'm ready to go broke lol. I'm also looking at some cobras but not sure what I want to spend on that yet or exactly would be the best bang for buck without spending a fortune.

SteveKnight77

Established Member
Im still personally trying to decide if the cost of getting the teksid block that's sitting in my garage built by someone else is high enough to justify buying all the special tools i would need to do it myself. (Special tools are expensive to just use one or two times)

Get my stock heads ported and rebuilt or get TFS heads?

Sell a kidney to pay for parts or just keep saving up?
I'm really trying to get a little more educated on some things myself that's one of the reasons I joined this site in the hopes there are some helpful knowledgeable mustang fans on here lol

SteveKnight77

Established Member
This is true.

so you saying the sct tuners are crap? ive been looking at those alot.

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
I have a lot of aftermarket parts under my 04, but when it came to the steering rack, I simply went with a brand new stock R and P, but I added limiters and urethane bushings. Car steers like a slot car, and the bushings really firmed up the steering a lot.

SteveKnight77

Established Member
I have a lot of aftermarket parts under my 04, but when it came to the steering rack, I simply went with a brand new stock R and P, but I added limiters and urethane bushings. Car steers like a slot car, and the bushings really firmed up the steering a lot.
guess im just gonna do that and move on . my new rims and tires should be here tomorrow.. stoked about that..

Users who are viewing this thread