Help with SC upgrade

Carson45

Established Member
Hello, I went ahead and bought another terminator and looking for suggestions. It has some mild mods already but I would like to swap the supercharger out to I think a 2.3. I want to stay on 93 and have a decent hp boost with a better looking engine compartment. Im not looking for anything crazy. I do not want to spend a ton of money. I would like to buy a new SC and a few pulleys. What is my best route to take on this? Im not very mechanically inclined so Im open to suggestions. Im also going to list the mod list.

Thank you!

-JLT next generation Ram air intake.
-SCT BA 3000 MAF.
-2.76 billetflow supercharger pulley.
-Stiegemeier ported throttle body and plenum.
-Metco Motorsports 4-Piece Idler Kit w/Single Ball Bearing.
-Metco 2 pound lower crank pulley kit.
-NGK Laser Iridium performance spark plugs.
-PA Performance 130 AMP alternator gloss black powdercoated.

-MAC LT headers with lethal catted x-pipe (Also have the cat less x pipe).
-Borla Cobra S-type catback.
Fuel delivery:
-Lethal performance 1000 HP return style fuel system E-85 compatible.
-DeatschWerks 88lb Flow Matched Fuel Injectors

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If you want new I think you're only choices are the Whipple 2.3 or KB 2.4. Or is it 2.6? I can't remember. That's a lot of fuel system for a ported blower. Did the previous owner have plans for something bigger? Or was there something bigger on it at one time?

PC03GT

Established Member
Looks like you have all the supporting mods, just need a blower. With a 2.3 whipple 3.0 upper and stock lower, you'll make 600+ all day

Carson45

Established Member
Ok thanks. I was told today my 2 lb lower will make too much boost for 93 so Im just kind of confused on what pulleys to get to be safe? I would like to find a nice used blower if possible.

Carson45

Established Member
Looks like you have all the supporting mods, just need a blower. With a 2.3 whipple 3.0 upper and stock lower, you'll make 600+ all day

I missed your comment and this is kind of the direction I was going for. Just need someone experienced to guide me. With those pulleys is it ok to run 93?

PC03GT

Established Member
I missed your comment and this is kind of the direction I was going for. Just need someone experienced to guide me. With those pulleys is it ok to run 93?
Yes sir, I have a 3.0 upper and stock lower. Made 654/600 on 93 pump gas

Carson45

Established Member
Yes sir, I have a 3.0 upper and stock lower. Made 654/600 on 93 pump gas

Ok cool. So there is no issue for me running that same setup? Do you know how much boost youre running? Also, any idea what belt I would need for that same setup and where I could buy a stock lower?

PC03GT

Established Member
Ok cool. So there is no issue for me running that same setup? Do you know how much boost youre running? Also, any idea what belt I would need for that same setup and where I could buy a stock lower?
I was running 18psi with 18 degrees of timing. I have a metco setup for the lower, with a stock sized lower pulley. I forget the exact belt size

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You can always swap the ring for a smaller one on the crank pulley. Or run a bigger blower pulley.

I think Whipple says the blower should make 18psi with whatever pulley comes with the blower. So a 2lb lower would put you around 20. But your exhaust will change that.

My opinion, buy the blower you want, install it, then figure out pullies.

olympic

Established Member
A 2.3L Whipple will only make ~15psi with a stock lower and the 3.5" upper that comes with the blower. It's the 2.9L that makes 18psi stock. The 2.3L is more than adequate for a pump gas car. Throw a 3" upper pulley on it and you'll be at the limit for 93 octane.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
My buddy made 590rwhp with a 2.3 on 91. The main reason he upgraded to the 2.9 is because I did.

Carson45

Established Member
Yeah Im good with 600rwhp. Its a really nice car and Im not trying to do anything crazy nor do I drive fast. Sounds like stock lower and 3" upper is what I need. Like I said in my original post, I dont know alot about this kind of stuff. But to go back to a stock lower pulley size, is there a specific one I should get or what would people recommend?

PC03GT

Established Member
Yeah Im good with 600rwhp. Its a really nice car and Im not trying to do anything crazy nor do I drive fast. Sounds like stock lower and 3" upper is what I need. Like I said in my original post, I dont know alot about this kind of stuff. But to go back to a stock lower pulley size, is there a specific one I should get or what would people recommend?
You can buy the stock sized mecto lower, it will bolt right up. It's a 129 bucks

Last edited:

Carson45

Established Member
You could leave the 2lb lower and just use the 3.5" upper pully that comes with the blower. Should make 16-17lb and will have better belt wrap.

Yep, after talking to a few people today that is exactly what Im going to do. Now Im trying to figure out which belt to get. The car has a metco 4 pc idler kit - single ball bearing and Im not sure if that effects the belt length. Hoping to get some people chiming in on this. I also want to get new spark plugs since Im doing all of this.

So if anyone could help with what belt I should get and spark plugs I would appreciate it.

olympic

Established Member
I use a 78" belt with a stock sized Metco lower, 4 piece Metco idler and 3.25" upper. A 2lb lower would add 2" and a 3.5 upper would add 0.5". So 80.5" should be in the ball park.

As for plugs, NGK TR7IX is popular if you prefer Iridium, BR7EF for copper. Start the gap at 0.035" and go down from there if you experience spark blow out.

Users who are viewing this thread