Help with stock pistons on 2001 compression ratio

MrYellowSVT

Established Member
I have a 2001 cobra I spun rod bearing in it needless to say I'm rebuilding it. But lost on compression ratio for stock pistons. I want to run turbo(s) on it but not sure if I should put 04 terminator pistons or a cheaper option out there. I want to know how much boost I can push safely out of stock pistons

List of parts currently

98 cobra cams (told they have higher lobes)
04 terminator crank
04 terminator rods
Stock pistons
New valves an springs
I'm missing a lot I feel like.

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
No point in running any kind of stock piston. Step up to a good piston. The block might need a bit of an overbore to clean it up. Is the car going to be a strip monster? What fuel are you going to be running? Those make a difference.

MrYellowSVT

Established Member
It's going to be a daily driver tune with a addit9strip tune. I haven't decided on fuel if not e85 then 93 octane. Not sure what it would take to run e85 havent looking hard enough into it.
The bore is clean an honed.

are 04 terminator pistons any good.
No point in running any kind of stock piston. Step up to a good piston. The block might need a bit of an overbore to clean it up. Is the car going to be a strip monster? What fuel are you going to be running? Those make a difference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
For pump gas I would aim for 9-9.5:1. Terminator pistons are good for stock pistons. But you don't want 8.5:1. Go aftermarket and get a custom compression.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
9.5:1 compession unless you have regular acces to E85, then you can go higher. Talk to the tuner you will use before you do anything.

Terminator rods are good
Terminator crank is the exact same thing that came in your 01 Cobra which is a Kellogg crank
Get better pistons, even entry level Manley pistons are better than the Zollner pistons that came in Terminators
98 INTAKE cams are better, they have more duration at 204. Exhaust cams are the same. They will need to be degreed properly regardless

Cheap easy build that will do well for any street car is stock crank, entry level I beams or H beams, entry level forged pistons, cleaned up stock block, cleaned up stock heads, degreed stock cams, power adder.

Make sure the rest of the car can actually support 500+hp though. That IRS needs to be completely torn down and all bushings etc... replaced for starters.

shurur

Established Member
If you really plan to go turbo..I would consider na svt custom cams....I would consider custom cams anyway..

Something more to think about..

Users who are viewing this thread