!! Help !!

castellscl

Established Member
I need some serious help here guys!
I decided to clean my I/C and strip my rotors. :nonono:
I took out the rotors and stripped them no problem.
Lubed the rear bearings with Green Grease,
Put new GM supercharger oil in snout,
and buttoned everything back up.

I start the truck up only to hear a horrible sound, sound of bad bearings or something. I know the sound is from the S/C. It's RPM dependent, and goes away at about 2000 rpm. I thought it could have been one of the pulleys, but swapped them out with others and still same sound.

Any ideas on what went wrong, and/or how I could fix it?

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
the cover and rotor pack all went in back together properly? When you put the rotor pack back in did you turn it to check to see if anything was hitting? Happen to plug your silencer holes and not sand the inside?? Sounds like you're gonna have to pull it off..

castellscl

Established Member
Yes, the cover went back on smoothly, and when I turned it, it spun freely.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I did in fact plug the holes. However, I made sure to sand the inside down so that it was just a hair below the the surface.

castellscl

Established Member
I know that our blowers have Rotor rub patterns on them, could it be possible that it's just a little rotor rub in a new spot?

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Well I just had mine apart to do exactly what you did.. with the JB weld and all with no issues.. I assume everything was nice and clean when you put it back together? unless something got caught in there and is rubbing? I am not sure what else it could be.. hopefully another member may have some ideas... how long did you have it running for?

castellscl

Established Member
I've ran it 3 times now, first was for maybe 1 minute.
Second was ~ 2.5 minutes
Last time as about 5 minutes, enough for it to reach operating temp (175)
Last time I run it is wasn't as bad, I'm hoping it's just finding it "new groove" for the rotors.

I know it's probably not that, but I have to tell myself something, I was so careful on reassembly, I don't know where I could have gone wrong?

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
how many miles are on it? Maybe the bearings are a little worn and it is making a new pattern...?

castellscl

Established Member
I've let it run again for a bit longer this time, and it seems to have gone away for the moment. I really hope it was just a little rub from the rotors on the case. I'm gonna take it for a quick spin to see if it blows up.

castellscl

Established Member
how many miles are on it? Maybe the bearings are a little worn and it is making a new pattern...?

That's what I was thinking,
It's got about 93K on the clock, this is the 3rd time I've had the blower off, 1st time taking the blower apart.

Question is, is that even possible for the bearings/rotors do make a new pattern? I really hope this it what it is.:shrug:

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Mine has 111k.. but most were highway so it hasn't seen a very hard life.. i say drive it till she blows.. then get a whipple lol.

chrisheltra

Established Member
When I had my blower ported by Steig it made a little grinding noise for the first 500 miles or so and then went away. I contacted Steig and read on the forums and it was normal. It could be the same issue with your blower.

castellscl

Established Member
Ok, so I tore it back apart to look at everything, it all looked perfect.
The plastic coupler was perfect, no play in it what so ever.
There was no foreign debris anywhere.
It was scraping anywhere close to the JB weld.
Only thing that caught my I was a little bit of the extra grease I put in the rear bearings had been pulled out a bit.
I think it has to be either rear bearing, or just the rotors rubbing a new pattern in the case.
Here is the sound I'm hearing:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DO3Oom6mKQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DO3Oom6mKQ[/ame]

Last edited:

Robert Francis

Established Member
I "assume" you used a torque wrench when reassembling the front snout to the case.

Unless you took the rotor assembly apart, there's no reason for it to be "breaking in" on the case "now," as everthing is in the same position as before you disassembled it. The only that would seem different is something to do with filling in those silencer holes - or just bad luck in having a bearing go bad the same time you disassembled it.

00 white lightn

Established Member
check all vacumes on the supercharger, i just did this and had 2 of them crossed, it was makign a funny noise too.

castellscl

Established Member
Yes, I used a torque wrench.

When you crossed the vac lines, did it sound like the clip I posted?

I'll recheck the lines again in the morning.

Last edited:

castellscl

Established Member
Alright, I've got a steig stage 5 (different blower) on it now and have replaced ALL the idler pulleys......
Guess what.... It's still there, only on a cold engine start though.
Any ideas..

could it be the Alternator? it is right below the blower.

Users who are viewing this thread