• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Here's a thought about, well... Us.

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Stevenbekah, May 30, 2018.

1. Stevenbekah

Stevenbekah Cobra bitten Established Member

So I'm reading through the Rosanne Barr thread and I'm seeing all kinds of familiar members that I've seen here for years

Lemme just say I've been here a bit, I'm not a huge "poster" nor do I see a need to vigorously state my opinion on something as the only things that truly matte to me are literally and figuratively within my four walls

With that said, I have time and again for years, enjoyed not only the information our forum provides us for the passions we are fortunate to celebrate but also the varied points of view we're able to articulate to one another

But damn, the divide politically we've so blatantly staked to one another these past 18 months has been divisive

I'm not saying it's a study in hypocrisy yet at the same time we're demonstrating our inability to both express our opinions while listening with the intent to better understand

We all agree what she said was wrong.
    We all agree that free speech is relevant.
    We all agree dire actions deserve dire consequences.

What changed in the last 18 months that fueled this hard-lined rage against the other side?

I ain't been here forever but I've been here long enough to see a difference and I'd hate to think we're a subset/microcosm of the rest of us

Sent from that shiny thing in my hands

2. OETKB

OETKB bad attitude Premium Member Established Member

IMHO, it started in 2008, not 18 months ago. I'm new here, so maybe it wasn't happening here, but it sure was everywhere else.

ON D BIT, bglf83, Tob and 11 others like this.
  3. blk02edge

blk02edge Well-Known Member Established Member

Both sides have fallen victim to media. They both think they are 100% correct and are far too stubborn to change a single opinion or attempt to think from the other side. Oh well..

Deceptive, me32, Need 04 Wine and 4 others like this.
  4. Screw-Rice

Screw-Rice I like BBC Established Member

This is par for the course for years with those threads here. You have those who like to come in and set fires for the sake of setting fires.

5. jpro

jpro Disoriented Poster Established Member

Not to point fingers, but the media has played a major role in distorting the truth. Rather than report news, they make their own, and it is destroying America. Everything is an OP-ED nowadays and fuels ignorance.

6. gimmie11s

gimmie11s Handlebar mustaches... PSSHHH! Established Member Established Member

Trolls trolling... that’s all.

Drop bombs then run away when someone makes an intelligent rebuttal.

Race baiters being race baiters.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

7. derklug

derklug Seriously? No, never. Established Member

People forget that the Bill of Rights puts constraints upon the government, but there are still consequences to your actions. The government cannot shut down a blog that I create screaming the vilest hate, but my employer can fire me for reflecting badly on his buisness.
    That said, I believe that some people seem to think that their beliefs should never be questioned, and if you don't believe as they do you are the devil incarnate. The Left seem to be the loudest crybabies, but there are those on the Right who are just as bad.

VenomVeins and 03Sssnake like this.
  8. MFE

MFE Well-Known Member Established Member

Believe it, we are that microcosm. It's going to keep getting worse, because there are money and votes (and therefore money) to be earned off the divisiveness. Until one or both of those things change, and they won't, without some external catastrophe completely resetting us, it'll keep getting worse. There are no votes to be earned and no money to be made in the middle ground. Something's going to have to happen to turn the votes and the money and therefore the divisiveness into secondary considerations, and that something is going to be big and terrible, whatever it is.

Until then...maybe we shouldn't laugh so hard at the preppers.

9. CV355

CV355 Well-Known Member Established Member

Since the "other side" is a relative term, I think it might have to do with the figurative swamp and career politicians. There is more exposure to that hypocrisy.

Me, personally? I hate all politicians. Bunch of dirty crooks that never do anything useful anyways. Get rid of them all, let me keep my taxes, and let other countries blow themselves to hell.

10. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member

We all have personal views and personal opinions. And we should be free to express them and allow others to express theirs. IMO the major instigator to the unrest and division in our country is the biased media. Heavily biased to the liberal left. Like it or not, our actions and even our views are affected by what we hear and see on the news, in advertising, in the general media every day. And there is a degree of building frustration and even anger at times knowing that this heavy bias is affecting our country politically and socially, and not in a positive way. This is just one observation. There are other factors involved, too.

11. Smooth

Smooth Well Seasoned Established Member

Two words: Social Media.

12. 08mojo

08mojo ... Established Member

^this...Social media was definitely the beginning of the end.

Edit: for those of us that need a reminder, here's an interesting read that seems to draw some eerily similar parallels to today: 8 Reasons Why Rome Fell

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Smooth likes this.
  13. TK1299

TK1299 Get on the banned wagon Premium Member Established Member

It's just natural social digression, nothing to worry about

tones_RS3 likes this.
  14. IronSnake

IronSnake Permanently apathetic Established Member

RIP OP

Bruno is calling the hit squad on you as we speak.

I kid

I've posted a thread like this before, but it's a moot point. The reality is if a group of folks with like ideals begin to form and become inherently more divisive (left) in their position, naturally those remaining will do the same to protect their voice, their interests, and their place in society.

Personally I'd rather America be full of Americans voting for what's right and what's best for America, with zero bull shit, drama, or divisiveness. But it's not. So I do what's best to protect me and my own, and say **** the rest.

OETKB likes this.
  15. Weather Man

Weather Man Persistance Is A Bitch Premium Member Established Member

Media doesn't even make a pretense that they aren't an arm of and fully aligned with the Democratic party. As such, they have adopted a scorched earth policy to all things Republican, thus driving the polarization of the country.

lexustech48, VenomVeins and 03Sssnake like this.
  16. VegasMichael

VegasMichael Well-Known Member Established Member

I grew up in an environment where you didn't talk about sex, politics or religion. We sure did get along well.

17. MassCobra

MassCobra All set Established Member

The left has completely gone off the rails. That's what has happened,

18. jpro

jpro Disoriented Poster Established Member

As a moderate who swings slightly conservative, I ask, what do liberals actually stand for any more? What kind of policy are they working on to push? What are they doing to reach across the aisle to collaborate with republicans. They seem (media is perpetuating this perception) to only be focused on how evil Trump is and are putting all of their efforts into smearing him and getting him out of office with impeachment. Besides a one payor healthcare system, which will not work, the only thing dems seem to be doing right now is witch hunting Trump, and they refuse to work with him because that would validate his presidency. I did not vote for the man (I didn’t vote for Hillary either), but he’s our president, and like it or not, you should accept it and try to push through the legislation that is important to you. The dems are playing the victim, giving up, refusing to work together. Maybe this is happening somewhere, but all I hear is Trump needs a diet, MS-13 members are school girls, Stormy Daniels, etc. The MSM has warped perceptions...or maybe the left is that bad?????

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

19. BrunotheBoxer

BrunotheBoxer Little Boy Blue - He needed the money. Established Member

The left are a bunch of phaggots that hate Trump the goat just because their girl lost or because bernie got cheated.

Nothing more nothing less.

20. scott9050

scott9050 Hillary for prison Established Member

They are that bad. I have gone from a moderate to a staunch conservative that will never under any circumstances vote Democrat. Think we are bad? I know one college forum where they are advocating multiple forms of violence against conservatives, and these are college educated people. They call for the assassination of our elected leaders and then get surprised when their hate leads to violent acts like school shootings.
    The whole bunch of them can go straight to Hell as far as I am concerned.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

lexustech48, VenomVeins and MassCobra like this.