Hey, dog owners....

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
How long does a puppy go through the "chew everything in sight" stage? My little dog is 10 weeks old, and is a little chewing machine. He even attacks his own tail. Funnier than hell.

Oops, wrong forum. Still getting used to Tapatalk.

SNAKE_FL

Established Member
hahah man my dog was the same thing and he always pick the most expensive things to chew on ... like my computer charger or my bluetooth headset for my ps3 and so on
every day i find tons of losses when i come back ... decided to get him one of those wooden gates so he would stay in the kitchen when i m gone (big kitchen) ... came back and found the lil A-Hole on the couch wagging her tail ... freaking chewed the gate and set her self free ... then i decided to get a kannel and do some spankens :D

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
All I can say is get him some toys to chew on! SOMEHOW I lucked out with my Boxer(got her at 5 weeks) and she only chewed on the toys I gave her. Never had any problems with her chewing anything else. She did like to bite my feet, so I bought some stuff to spray on whatever to help prevent chewing, but she seemed to like biting and licking even more(I tasted it :xpl:).

There are toys you can buy that you put treats into and they'll spend forever trying to get the food. As far as how long the chewing phase goes, not sure because as I said, wasn't an issue for me. So whenever your dog wants to chew on something, give him a toy(buy lots of them).

Edit- Crate training is a GREAT idea, make sure that it's not where you put them when they get into trouble. A crate is a happy place, not a timeout;)

Last edited:

stangaholic280

Established Member
We used Bitter Apple. It's a product you can find at your local pet store that you spray on said item being chewed. If we caught our pup chewing something, we'd take it, spray it, and then put it back down. When she went to chew it again...didn't last. It's a bit tedious, but luckily our dog learned pretty quick and wasn't a horrible chewer to begin with. Good luck.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
No problem Harry just post a pic! My dog wouldn't stop chewing when I was out of the house. As big as he is he was very destructive. I didn't understand why he kept doing it. After researching it I realized he had a lot of separation anxiety. I got a big crate for him to be in while I was gone. At first I thought it was mean but in reality, he loved it. It was his own space. After a few months of crate training it completely broke him of chewing on stuff he wasn't supposed to be chewing on and no more crate. Now he just rips through his Kongs and ropes.

Krwy

Established Member
My GSD is 2 and still steals water bottles and shoes to chew on. He has a collection of tennis balls that he always chews and eventually breaks. If he is chewing something on you don't want him to, give him his own toy.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Some can go through teething until they're a year old. I used to use frozen moist wash cloths for my dog when he was a wee pup. Some dogs will always be chewers especially if the problem is never addressed by the owner. My dog would chew on tennis balls all day long if I let him have them. He only gets to play with the ball as a treat. It is a very useful and cheap training tool [of course this doesn't apply to all dogs].

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
My GSD is 2 and still steals water bottles and shoes to chew on. He has a collection of tennis balls that he always chews and eventually breaks. If he is chewing something on you don't want him to, give him his own toy.

our GSD is about the same age and STILL chews on everything she can get her teeth on. i found one of those steel markers on the ground with punctures in it. i left my daughters basketball outside ONE night and the next morning it was in scraps :cuss:

i had to "baby proof" the yard because was getting into things and just chewing on stuff. tools she'd find, leather work gloves, you name it. it gets old REALLY quick and some times its something i want to kill her over, literally. if i forget to close the garage door or am in and out of it she'd run in there and grab something.

and ive bought her plenty of chew toys. some she tore to pieces in two days. bought some of those Kong toys and she got bored with them :shrug: ive had a GSD before and have dealt with it. took a few years before my other one finally stopped.

our puppy started copying her behavior (and other things like digging!). i got him some of his own toys to chew on and he mostly only chew that. although the other day i caught him chewing on a nice plastic tool box i got for Christmas :cuss: just sitting there gnawing on the corner of it. i had put it down on the ground while i was working on something and left it there for maybe an hour. :kaboom:

bitter apple works and especially if you catch them in the act. ive heard numerous people say they've used hot sauce as well, which is a LOT cheaper lol. my buddy had a lab pup that would chew on everything. he'd grab the bitter apple, grab the dog and spray it in its mouth when he caught him in the act. the dog's reaction as hilarious. sure didnt chew on THAT thing again.

i did some major tree trimming and all three of our dogs were out there gnawing on the branches like they were sharpening their teeth or something. it was pretty funny. they still do it with branches they find. it must stimulate their gums or something. it is good for their teeth and gums.

SWAMPMODULAR

FAIRWARNING
Established Member
Try a KONG toy with the crap you can put inside it. My Boxer is 11 weeks but really only chews his toys, but made it clear to him that chewing on other things is a no no. Usually a good stern NO does the trick. Good luck man!! Oh yeah crate train his butt too.

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
+1 on Bitter Apple and Kong balls. Make sure when you leave the dog he has TONS of chewies and toys to play with.

Im going through the same thing. Whenever you see them chewing on their toys show them some love and encourage that. Give them treats for doing so. DO NOT punish them if they chewed up something and you found out after the fact. You have to catch them doing it.

Also dont encourage them to chew on socks, shoes etc. They will see all shoes as chew toys!

88 347 stroker

Established Member
I had 3 dogs at one point and one that just passed (3 years old) my one dog will chew just my fios remote if i leave it out, and nothing else not even the other remotes are out, just the fios ones. thank god for eBay. cheap to replace.

all i can say is be careful with the toys you give your pup (or any dog) the last thing u want is him/her swallowing something that is going to get stuck in there stomach/intestine. that's how we lost our dog. he didn't make it through surgery.

we will only give our dogs Kong toys. they are injected with a non toxic die that shows up super bright on an x-ray if they swallow a piece of it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They can be trained to not chew but it can takes a bit of time depending on your training technique and the dog. Providing chew toys as part of the training regiment is definitely a smart idea.

Users who are viewing this thread