HID retrofit vendors?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Just wondering who all you guys are using lately, looking back through old threads seems a lot of the social media accounts for various vendors have no activity for quite a while.

I'm looking for complete lights for my 03 mach and for my 12 F150, I just don't really have the time and patience to do it myself. I'm not interested in the cheap projectors you'd get in a set from AM or similar. Preferably one seller that does both and NOT interested in Bullseye Retros. I don't care about demon eyes, halos, switchbacks etc, I just want better lights

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
Contact The Retrofit Source. Their website doesn't mention retrofitting services, but they might offer it. If not, they can probably give you a list of shops they deal with on a regular basis, and who they recommend for your applications.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Do lots of research, i have seen alot of kits that came out like shit.

What about just swapping to LED bulbs with more light?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

poorly designed housings dont give you the same benefits and can be blinding to oncoming traffic. The mustang headlights actually aren't too bad just throwing HIDs in them but havent really cared for what I see on the F150s (mine are halogen, NOT the factory HIDs).

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I went through this with my 14' F150 with halogen headlights. I bought everything from The Retrofit Source to convert my stock housings to HID and after 3 years of sitting in a box, I ended up buying LED lights and swapping them into HD/Raptor halogen housings and being happy enough considering it required minimal effort and less than half the cost. I complimented them with full swap LED Morimoto Fogs and I am very happy I didn't go the retrofit route. Reliability is important to me and not needing to engineer something myself on my daily driven truck won that battle. If you are interested in the HID stuff, I'm planning to sell all of it. It's never used still in the boxes. The cutoff with the LED is not blinding to oncoming traffic and makes the truck look a lot better. Can't beat the ease of install of plug and play and price over a retrofit setup imo. Leave the self engineering to your weekend toys, not your daily.

20200104_081924_compress12.jpg
20200104_081944_compress73.jpg

20200104_081958_compress72.jpg

Stock Headlights. LED Morimoto Fogs
20200104_065634_compress98.jpg

DS LED Bulb. PS Stock. LED Fogs
20200104_084205_compress99.jpg

DS LED Bulb. PS Stock
20200104_084139_compress97.jpg

Full LED
20200104_092442_compress8.jpg

Full LED at night
20200105_232338_compress34.jpg

Last edited:

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Years ago there was someone on here that did them. Don't think he's still around though as I haven't seen that thread in ages

Posts and likes are not mine.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I went through this with my 14' F150 with halogen headlights. I bought everything from The Retrofit Source to convert my stock housings to HID and after 3 years of sitting in a box, I ended up buying LED lights and swapping them into HD/Raptor halogen housings and being happy enough considering it required minimal effort and less than half the cost. I complimented them with full swap LED Morimoto Fogs and I am very happy I didn't go the retrofit route. Reliability is important to me and not needing to engineer something myself on my daily driven truck won that battle. If you are interested in the HID stuff, I'm planning to sell all of it. It's never used still in the boxes. The cutoff with the LED is not blinding to oncoming traffic and makes the truck look a lot better. Can't beat the ease of install of plug and play and price over a retrofit setup imo. Leave the self engineering to your weekend toys, not your daily.

View attachment 1651578 View attachment 1651579
View attachment 1651584
Stock Headlights. LED Morimoto Fogs
View attachment 1651580
DS LED Bulb. PS Stock. LED Fogs
View attachment 1651581
DS LED Bulb. PS Stock
View attachment 1651585
Full LED
View attachment 1651583
Full LED at night
View attachment 1651582

hmm... Which LEDs are those exactly and where did you get them?

I was considering the morimoto fogs but think Im going to get the dyode dynamics cube with the round trim ring for $30 more. Their fogs seem to have a much wider pattern and more output than the morimoto. In the back woods of NC the wider beam is important to me. I have considered just ordering the fogs and set of LEDs for the headlights. Im going to be up in NC in August where its pitch ****ing black and could do some quality comparison in beam pattern and visibility.

If you wanna PM what retrofit stuff you have and price I may consider that as well.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

poorly designed housings dont give you the same benefits and can be blinding to oncoming traffic. The mustang headlights actually aren't too bad just throwing HIDs in them but havent really cared for what I see on the F150s (mine are halogen, NOT the factory HIDs).
Looking into this with my tremor. $3,400 oem replacement, $3k aftermarket or $2k if I send in the housing.

Someone put dot legal led bulbs in his last 2 superduty’s and he said they turned out great. I’m going this route.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Looking into this with my tremor. $3,400 oem replacement, $3k aftermarket or $2k if I send in the housing.

Someone put dot legal led bulbs in his last 2 superduty’s and he said they turned out great. I’m going this route.

holy shit, thats crazy! I see raptor retros has brand new factory HID housings they upgrade the projectors, black it all out, ballasts, bulbs with plug and play wire harness for around 1100. Not terrible but still gonna end up with $1300 in an old truck

96dreamer

Established Member
Repeating what @Blk91stang said if you get led's that have the same led spacing as the factory filament bulb and they are installed in the same orientation the cutoff will be the exact same as the factory halogens. The thought that led's will blind everyone is pretty outdated if you do the research to find a bulb that is compatible. I did the headlights and fogs in my super duty for about 60 bucks and the cutoff is perfect with much better light output and color. I used beamtech brand off amazon which has good some great reviews and i've had with good luck so far. In your situation where you're just looking for better lights and not custom housings or anything i would for sure go this route.
Edit : found a picture
Picture is stock vs led lights. Blue tape is factory cutoff line. I did have to adjust the housing down down slightly to get to this point but after doing so there should be no issues with binding anyone.

Attachments

• 20200714_061914.jpg
    20200714_061914.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
LED's are the way to go. I put them in my Colorado which has projector housings from the factory WITH FACTORY INSTALLED HALOGEN BULBS. Chevrolet ****ed up big time when they did that. The light projection from the stock headlights is downright dangerous.

I went with Amazon cheap-o LED bulbs in the H11 fitment.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
LED's are the way to go. I put them in my Colorado which has projector housings from the factory WITH FACTORY INSTALLED HALOGEN BULBS. Chevrolet ****ed up big time when they did that. The light projection from the stock headlights is downright dangerous.

I went with Amazon cheap-o LED bulbs in the H11 fitment.

I wish mine had the projectors, that became an option the following year

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I wish mine had the projectors, that became an option the following year
I am still baffled as to why Chevy put projectors on the truck but forgot to put an LED or HID into them. A halogen bulb in a projector housing should be illegal by MOT. Its insane how badly they perform in regular night driving let alone with rain/snow/fog.

You can buy the housings pretty cheap from recyclers. Throw some H11 LED bulbs into them and they work fantastic. Great cutoff line, cool to the touch and they work with the DRLs so far(have heard about them causing BCM issues).

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I am still baffled as to why Chevy put projectors on the truck but forgot to put an LED or HID into them. A halogen bulb in a projector housing should be illegal by MOT. Its insane how badly they perform in regular night driving let alone with rain/snow/fog.

You can buy the housings pretty cheap from recyclers. Throw some H11 LED bulbs into them and they work fantastic. Great cutoff line, cool to the touch and they work with the DRLs so far(have heard about them causing BCM issues).

sadly people want a ton for the F150 HID housings unless you buy em with broken mounting tabs and such. We had an explorer on our honeymoon in 2014 and the headlights were so bad we were convinced they had to be stuck in some kind of DRL mode but they weren't. They were TERRIBLE

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Just wondering who all you guys are using lately, looking back through old threads seems a lot of the social media accounts for various vendors have no activity for quite a while.

I'm looking for complete lights for my 03 mach and for my 12 F150, I just don't really have the time and patience to do it myself. I'm not interested in the cheap projectors you'd get in a set from AM or similar. Preferably one seller that does both and NOT interested in Bullseye Retros. I don't care about demon eyes, halos, switchbacks etc, I just want better lights

You don't want pubes in your lights or the vendor to treat you like they're doing a favor by taking your money and giving you a piece of shit product? Werd

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Im reading a lot of good things about Sealight LEDs for the F150 that when clocked correctly the LED chips are in the correct location to match the factory beam pattern, seriously considering trying them.

still looking at vendors for the mustang (ended up getting morimoto led fogs for the cobra bumper)

Users who are viewing this thread