High Boost overlays ready to view/order

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Let me try to clarify a couple of points guys. This is a CLEAR overlay. I have to work with what the factory has provided and ad to that to make either of the overlays functional. Because it's clear the factory markings show through and that is something I have to work with. In order to make the needle sweep area big enough on the High Boost overlay I had to reclock the needle counterclockwise and turn the 0 into an eight and the 10 into an 18. To do this I put a line over the 0 and the 10 to make the new numbers. This alows the addition of the new hash marks and the abiltiy to read higher numbers. Yes the 8 and 18 aren't perfect but this is how I had to produce these. They are very accurate. That was the most importnat thing to me. The funtionality and usefulness. If some of you don't care for the numerals and that is your major concern then you can certainly coose to not buy one.
The guys that are making 17#s could really go either way as far as overlay selection. The new High boost overlay is most accurate between 18 to 24 #s but if you were making 17#s it would put the needle slightly under the 18 mark. If you choose the original overlay then you would read slightly past the 16. Either will still give you an accurate indication of where 17#s was.
I hope this answers your questions.
Thanks, Ray

03yellow

Established Member
I would like to get the new one if the #s looked better!

I have one of your old ones and it looks great!

Just some feedback thats all.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Just sent my payment via Paypal for the 16#er. I think they look great Ray and I'm a picky bastage. I don't think these guys realize what these are. If you were to buy overlays that were colored and totally reprinted and still had the ability to pass light, you'd be WAY over the price Ray is asking for these. If your complaining about the 8's you have no idea what it takes to make these things work for this price.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I put my 16# overlay in yesterday. Top notch! Looks perfectly factory and it was cake to do. Took me all of 45 minutes and that was with me polishing the plastic and cleaning everything around the gauge cluster.
Great job Ray!

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Not a stupid question at all. I'm going to defer that question to some of the others who may be running a similar combo. I really couldn't tell you for certain. In terms of what overlay would be best for your combination I would guess the original 16# overlay. Most guys have told me that untill you are running an aftermarket blower of some kind (which would put you in the High Boost overlay) you might be best suited for the 16#. I hope this may be of some help to you. Maybe some others can chime in and ad their opinions as well.

Ray H.

04OrangeSVT281

Tuned and tweeked by JDM
Established Member
Trying to install 16# overlay

Hi Ray,

I purchased a 16# overlay from you quite a while ago and I am just now trying to install it on my cobra. Your instructions are great, however, I am unclear on how to splice more tubing onto the back of my guage cluster. I also had to cut the tubing (like in your instructions) to remove my cluster, but the black tubing is only about an inch long on the back of my cluster! I pretty much had to cut this in half to disconnect the cluster (about half of the tubing was on the nipple!). When you spliced more tubing, did you splice a new piece of black tubing on to the smaller yellow tubing, or did you actually have enough black tubing to use a straight nipple to splice? Can you tell me where I can get some of this tubing, my local auto parts stores say they need a part number or something... should I get this directly from Ford? How do I splice this onto the yellow tubing? Sorry for all of the questions, but I am really particular about my car and I dont want to screw it up. Thanks in advance for your help.
-Jason.

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I just did another one of these recently. I spliced between the tubing coming out of the gauge and the other cut end with a small gauge rubber tubing I bought at my local auto parts store. They sell several different diameters by the foot. You'll need several inches. Take your cluster in with you if you have to and make sure the fit is snug when the spliced rubber hose fits over the hard line. I used some weather strip adhesive to make sure the rubber hose splice piece would stay connected to the hard line ends. Silicone sealer would also work. Make sure you don't use too much or you'll block the line. Look at your instructions Jason. The procedure should be explained there also. If you have any further questions feel free to contact me at the number given on the instruction page. I hope this helps. Let me know.

It has been pointed out to me that there is a proceedure for freeing up some additional boost line so the line won't have to be cut. I have included that info with the new High Boost overlay instructions and will soon be updating the original 16# overlay instructions as well.

Ray H.

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I had a slight delay in processing your order. It will go out in the next mail and should arrive in a few days. It will arrive in a plain white envelope. Sorry for the delay and the inconvenience.
Thanks for the order.

Ray H.

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
Ray, can you post the exact instructions or email me them? Before I would buy it, I want to see what im getting into, haha.

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The best way to get a feel for the install is to go to the web site www.boostoverlay.com it has a condensed version of the install. I have most people tell me it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to do. The instructions are rather lenghtly because I really wanted to cover all the bases and explain it in simple terms so even someone who is not familiar with doing a lot of mechanical work could follow it. For the guys and gals who are more well versed at working on their cars it's a total breeze. I also make myself available by phone or email to help with any questions. There are also a few hundred on this board who have done the install and I'm sure would they would be happy to lend their advise should it be needed. I hope this helps you XX.

Ray H.

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The best way to get a feel for the install is to go to the web site www.boostoverlay.com it has a condensed version of the install. I have most people tell me it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to do. The instructions are rather lenghtly because I really wanted to cover all the bases and explain it in simple terms so even someone who is not familiar with doing a lot of mechanical work could follow it. For the guys and gals who are more well versed at working on their cars it's a total breeze. I also make myself available by phone or email to help with any questions. There are also a few hundred on this board who have done the install and I'm sure would they would be happy to lend their advise should it be needed. I hope this helps you XX.

Ray H.

Users who are viewing this thread