High mileage cobras come in!

saleenftw

Established Member
Ok so I recently purchased a cobra swap for my GT. I'm in the middle of this swap and while I have the engine on a stand I'm wondering what all you guys suggest I should do to prevent failure of my longblock. The mileage on the engine is 163k miles, I know through the roof. So what are your suggestions? I plan on pushing the engine, I know its going to blow eventually but any good ideas on how to prevent that?

My ideas:

reische thermostat

head cooling mod

killer chiller

Anything I should do with the timing, water pump, or oil pump? Not trying to rebuild the whole engine or crack it open just yet just trying to freshen it up. Please let me know what you think, thanks! :beer:

BdJames

Established Member
What condition is the engine in? As in... Was it ever machined? If so I would definitely get a new oil pump. You don't want metal shavings floating around.

I don't think 163k is through the roof. Not if it is (was) well maintained. I would also do a compression and leak down test once you fire it up.

saleenftw

Established Member
What condition is the engine in? As in... Was it ever machined? If so I would definitely get a new oil pump. You don't want metal shavings floating around.

I don't think 163k is through the roof. Not if it is (was) well maintained. I would also do a compression and leak down test once you fire it up.

As far as I can tell the engine has never been opened up. When I took the supercharger and manifold off everything was covered in carbon and oil. The intercooler was almost solid black. The valves don't look too bad, a little bit of sludge on them but nothing drastic. I plan on running the car for 500 miles before I start to throw some mods on. During that time I plan on getting a compression test and leak down test. Before the engine goes in I will also be swapping the plugs and changing all the fluids. The car ran really good before he tore it all apart, so I believe it was well maintained.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Hope you got a really good deal on it. Its inevitable that it will need some major maintenance in the very near future especially when you start modding it.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
IMO I would drive it/maintain it well until you have issues. In the mean time save up and prepare to do some rebuilding and when you do upgrade parts etc. Personally id rather do a build once and do it the right way. You will save money in the end. Congrats on your purchase.

saleenftw

Established Member
I plan on driving it until I see issues. I bought it with the intentions of building the longblock down the road so mileage wasnt a concern. I'm hoping to squeeze two summer's out of it. Just looking for ideas to help reduce detonation or other problems with higher mileage.

The mod list e85, ported Eaton with a 2.81 and a 4lb lower, headers, and maybe a small dry shot.

Users who are viewing this thread