High Oil Consumption

2k05gt

Established Member
The Dealer did the Oil Consumption test, They changed the oil, marked the Dipstick and added a dye to detect leaks.
they told me to bring it back at around 200 miles. I returned at 220 miles and the tech found no leaks, and It used 1 1/2 qts in 220 miles,
that's excessive and unacceptable. So it looks like Ford is going to replace the Motor.

I guess you can add me to the list.

2017 GT350 Track Pack, Sept 2017 build date, 9/17 H6088.
Engine Builders: Jeff Hamblin & Robert O'Malley

Established Member
Still hoping ford will come clean about the root cause and identify a fix to prevent... At some point they will capitulate when the cost of motor replacements clearly exceeds the fix.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Still hoping ford will come clean about the root cause and identify a fix to prevent... At some point they will capitulate when the cost of motor replacements clearly exceeds the fix.

I'm guessing it's a manufacturing issue, either with a component or a process that's causing these issues. I highly doubt Ford will come out with a root cause, unless there is an actual TSB (tech service bulletin) issued against it.

Definitely must be costing them a lot of $$ given the sample size we have seen in just this thread and the anecdotal evidence pointing to "many" others that have experienced this issue.

Wonder if any 2018 cars have suffered the issue.....or just 16/17's?

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
The amount of 18s that have had the issue seem to be similar to the previous years.

I cannot believe as expensive of a fix it is that they aren’t denying more or had a fix before the 18s rolled out. By time you factor in labor and everything i’m sure you’re nearing half the cost of the car.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
It certainly doesn’t help in the speculation department. Some people think we all just got in our cars, started it, flatfooted her to 9k, backed over a 2quart puddle on the way out to bounce off the rev-limiter all the way down the street. It just has to be “driver error” ya know :/

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
What is Ford saying is the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Unfortunately we may never know, unless someone with a consumption issue takes the car to an engine builder for a tear down instead of Ford . Thats not likely to happen though unless Ford starts denying engine replacements

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
34368FFF-206B-4813-8840-DCE2E21113EA.jpeg There’s the pics from john’s that was denied because of previous tune, only tear down I’ve seen that actually showed what looked like the cause.

Last edited:

Established Member
Well given the signature of cars running normal for 6k+ miles then a quickly increasing oil consumption until failure...

I bet the issue is a failure of something with a rate that increases over time/miles. Seems like once it occurs, the cars run about 3k miles before the problem is extreme consumption...

Given all the failures, Ford will not be able to decline the warranty events and I bet we get less pushback when it does happen.

We will learn what it is sooner than later, and in the meantime, the 5 year 60k drivetrain warranty will cover us pretty well. The failure signature and Fords response may correlate to our cars residual value after 5 years.

I used to believe voodoo residual was going to be among the very best... Those on these forums crying about tq make me laugh. GT350R is spectacular on track and road.

Residual may be tops even with a tarnish spot :) I certainly relish mine.

Last edited:

Established Member
View attachment 1529081 what looked like the cause. The o-rings just blew out from the pickup tube if i was seeing it correctly.

Nice, this came in while I was posting. I heard there is a law suit about something in the oil pump and oil pressure... If that's the issue, where is the oil pressure pick-up and can we see unusual deflection on the gauges after the O-ring failure?

Blowout possible, might have been torn or pinched on assembly too. Either way could get worse over time under severe pressures. Interestingly, I don't see a traditional O-ring, looks ribbed like a hose (or a Trojan) o_O

One would think upgrading 20k oil pumps is cheaper than hundreds of engines and that seems the low side if the failure rate is worse than the space shuttle Columbia.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I just don’t see how that would cause the motor to use oil.

Low pressure and catastrophic failure, sure. But not oil consumption.

Established Member
Low oil pressure causes piston oil squirter issues resulting in cylinder lubrication issues which causes premature wear of the Spray Bore (Plasma Transfer Wire Arc) linings that make the oil ring ineffective and allow for oil to enter the combustion chambers and continue to get more wear over time.

Last edited:

5.2Leader

Established Member
Every time I read this thread I check my oil. Sometimes even when I haven’t driven the car! Lol! This s**t creeps me out. Sorry to all that have gone through this. All I can say is knock on wood! Thank god! I haven’t had a problem yet! I use that term lightly!

Established Member
I'm encouraged by the progress on the thread, I want a definitive solution. All cars have flaws and I'd rather them known early enough to get Ford to own them and then not worry. In the meantime I am learning my oil pressure gages and what's normal, that may be the first sign.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Low oil pressure causes piston oil squirter issues resulting in cylinder lubrication issues which causes premature wear of the Spray Bore (Plasma Transfer Wire Arc) linings that make the oil ring ineffective and allow for oil to enter the combustion chambers and continue to get more wear over time.

I can see that... maybe.

Only problem is there are/have been countless high-Rpm performance motors by many manufacturers including Ford that don’t even have oil squirters.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Established Member
Splash bath was the old fashion way, but if you want to minimize crankshaft design/weight and better meter the lubrication, then squirters are the way to go... until a decrease in oil pressure occurs, then you don't get the design spec lubrication.

PTWA is incredible in so many ways, but very susceptible to friction it is.

All conjecture but possible something along these lines

Last edited:

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
...The o-rings just blew out from the pickup tube if i was seeing it correctly.
That's the "Oil Pump Pickup Seal" and it's part of the oil pump. The seal is installed in the pump, and when the pan is installed, the white plastic pickup tube that's part of the pan is pressed up into the seal.

It looks like when they took the pan off the block, the seal was stuck to the plastic tube and came out of the pump along with the pan, and perhaps that's why it's damaged. After all, the seal is on the low pressure intake side of the pump. There's no pressure on it, so it couldn't have "blown out".

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
I'll edit the post. Didn't fully understand, but his engine builder seemed to think that was the culprit...he lost oil pressure on track.

Users who are viewing this thread