High Oil Consumption

MustangGT350FAN

Established Member
I've read of a few people getting R motors for replacements recently, I wonder why that is

My quess is that it has somthing to do with the shortend 2018 production run.
remember this only applied to Flat Rock Assembly not Romeo Engine Plant.
V1tleBO.jpg

Maybe they have a lot of extra "R" engines in stock?

MustangGT350FAN

Established Member
Thank you ...I’m getting tired of saying it. When people can start doing a plain ole division problem with the number of failures they’ve seen and the number of people actually online, they won’t be in denial any longer.

Lets say the rate is 4% thats 1:in 25 thats 760.
thats with the 2015-2018 production numbers of 18,000 total
keep in mind that Romeo plant builds about 27 engines per day
with 250 work days in a year, thats 6750 engines per year.
for production, not replacement. as previously stated they stopped production for 2 months, was this to let the Romeo plant catch up?
thats about 35 working days minus the holidays (Dec-Jan)
thats about 900 extra engines, so conceivable that 4% could be a good number.

here is a list of some engine failure stats
keep in mind these are full production cars
Manufacturer Engine Failure rate (%) Failure rate (1 in x)
MG Rover 7.88% 1 in 13
Renault 3.99% 1 in 25
Audi 3.71% 1 in 27
BMW 3.55% 1 in 30
MINI 2.51% 1 in 40
Saab 2.49% 1 in 40
Vauxhall 2.46% 1 in 41
Peugeot 2.34% 1 in 44
Volkswagen 2.31% 1 in 45

The list for limited production hand built engines like
lamborghini and Ferrari are 1 in 20

I am not in denial, I believe the oil consumption issues are in large due to poor break in process. Remeber, these
engines are not broken in at the factory like most production engines are, it's up to the owner to break them in properly, I am one who did not follow the process, the dealer never mentioned one, and really who ever reads the manual.
I did everything wrong during the brake in period, I let the car idle till it warmed up to operating temps, I used cruise control on a 600 mile trip, I babied the car the first 1000 miles. all wrong. but I was never informed of the proper way.
I will bet that a majority of the high oil consumption cars were broken in the same way.
It's a High Compression hand built Performance engine, with 8250 Redline, those rings need to seat properly for the engine to last.

Here are some good resourses on the subject:
Dispelling Engine Break-In Myths With High Performance Academy

Quick Tech: Performance Engine Break-In the Right Way - DSPORT Magazine

What's the right way to break-in an engine?

And they all say, if the rings do not seat you will have High oil consumption and ring failure.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I am not in denial, I believe the oil consumption issues are in large due to poor break in process. Remeber, these
engines are not broken in at the factory like most production engines are, it's up to the owner to break them in properly, I am one who did not follow the process, the dealer never mentioned one, and really who ever reads the manual.
I did everything wrong during the brake in period, I let the car idle till it warmed up to operating temps, I used cruise control on a 600 mile trip, I babied the car the first 1000 miles. all wrong. but I was never informed of the proper way.
I will bet that a majority of the high oil consumption cars were broken in the same way.
It's a High Compression hand built Performance engine, with 8250 Redline, those rings need to seat properly for the engine to last.

And they all say, if the rings do not seat you will have High oil consumption and ring failure.

Bahahahaha. Are the rings some magical unicorn fairy dust material that need special handling and care?

Hate to break it to you but rings are seated within minutes of running a new engine. It’s near impossible to screw it up.

Have you ever personally built any engine allowing you the experience of proper ring break in? I have and I’ve NEVER ruined a motor by improper ring wear in.

Never mind.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

WVTrakPak

Established Member
for production, not replacement. as previously stated they stopped production for 2 months, was this to let the Romeo plant catch up?

MG Rover 7.88% 1 in 13
Renault 3.99% 1 in 25
Audi 3.71% 1 in 27
BMW 3.55% 1 in 30
MINI 2.51% 1 in 40
Saab 2.49% 1 in 40
Vauxhall 2.46% 1 in 41
Peugeot 2.34% 1 in 44
Volkswagen 2.31% 1 in 45

I believe this is true, infact I am banking on it. My car hit 8250 at mile 101. These cars do not need to be babied as I think a lot of them are and then when they are twisted on, it does damage the rings. I guess time will tell as I plan on piling on the miles this year!

COME ON SPRING!

Zemedici

Established Member
Bahahahaha. Are the rings some magical unicorn fairy dust material that need special handling and care?

Hate to break it to you but rings are seated within minutes of running a new engine. It’s near impossible to screw it up.

Have you ever personally built any engine allowing you the experience of proper ring break in? I have and I’ve NEVER ruined a motor by improper ring wear in.

Never mind.

What’s sad is a lot of people will just believe the guy because he has ‘facts’.....

It is a big issue, or Ford wouldn’t release an addendum to the owners manual...

Check the oil every time you put gas in it? For a 55k car? That doesn’t make 500whp, and doesn’t have turbos? Ehhhhhh.....

I would guess failure rate 10-20%.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
What’s sad is a lot of people will just believe the guy because he has ‘facts’.....

It is a big issue, or Ford wouldn’t release an addendum to the owners manual...

Check the oil every time you put gas in it? For a 55k car? That doesn’t make 500whp, and doesn’t have turbos? Ehhhhhh.....

I would guess failure rate 10-20%.

Exactly.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member

MG Rover 7.88% 1 in 13
Renault 3.99% 1 in 25
Audi 3.71% 1 in 27
BMW 3.55% 1 in 30
MINI 2.51% 1 in 40
Saab 2.49% 1 in 40
Vauxhall 2.46% 1 in 41
Peugeot 2.34% 1 in 44
Volkswagen 2.31% 1 in 45

there was a guy that worked on them saying they were all taken to redline before even being put in the car. he had videos of how they aligned panels and such, but nothing of the motor. if that's true, then the break in seems it'd more be for the rest of the moving parts in the drivetrain

Mwynn

Established Member
Where is the label located on the motor specifying a 350 or a 350R motor?

MustangGT350FAN

Established Member
Where is the label located on the motor specifying a 350 or a 350R motor?
under the Drivers side coil cover, you have to remove the PCV vent tube, then the cover snaps off.

there are videos on how to remove the hose, a small screwdriver is all you need to push the green tab to the side
releasing the snap clip.

MustangGT350FAN

Established Member
there was a guy that worked on them saying they were all taken to redline before even being put in the car. he had videos of how they aligned panels and such, but nothing of the motor. if that's true, then the break in seems it'd more be for the rest of the moving parts in the drivetrain

I spoke with a friend who's brother works at Romeo and said they only pressure test, the harnesses are attached
before shipping to Flat Rock for installation.

The Process is also layed out in this article
Follow Along As Teams Build The Shelby GT350’s Voodoo 5.2 Engine

Voodoolt90

Established Member
Claim No. 6#####

In the matter of an Arbitration pursuant to the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan

(“CAMVAP”)

Between:

LUCKY ###### (“Consumer(s)”)

-and-

FORD MOTOR COMPANY OF CANADA, LIMITED

(“Manufacturer”)

Final Award

Appearances:

For the Consumer: Lucky ######

For the Manufacturer: Myron Petriw

Arbitrator: Kent Woodruff

Hearing Date(s): February 8, 2019

Hearing Location: Prince George, BC

Award Date: February 15, 2019

Vehicle Details:

VIN: 1FA6P8JZ0G55##### (the “Vehicle”)

Make and Model: 2016 Ford Shelby GT350

In Service Date: June 20, 2016

Date of Purchase: May 5, 2017

Kilometres at Hearing: 37,879 Krns

The Consumer asked for:

A buy-back without a reduction for use due to ongoing mechanical issues which have not

been resolved and began from the first 300 kilometres that the Vehicle was driven or

alternatively a buy-back with a reduction for use

Consumer takes this position because the engine was completely removed and replaced twice

and now the Manufacturer’s Repair Dealer has been unable to diagnose the further loss of

engine oil and starting problems..

The Manufacturer asked for:

An order dismissing the Consumer’s claim

Manufacturer takes this position because;

I. the Vehicle is still under warranty

ii. The Manufacturer denies any liability for the failure to replace the oil cap which

resulted in oil loss.

2 of5

iii. The Manufacturer’s Representative submits that the Consumer did not check the

oil at time intervals suggested by the Manufacturer for this high performance

engine that uses oil in its operation.

There is no dispute between the Consumer and the Manufacturer on the following matters:

1. The warranties are still in force

2. The Manufacturer replaced two engines and in fact spent $53,000 on warranty work

on this Vehicle

3. Due to a change in ownership the Consumer did not receive an information bulletin

from the Manufacturer that addressed:

a- Tightening the oil filter assembly to 16-18 foot pounds using a special cap

wrench which they provided with the bulletin

b. Their recommendation to check the oil level at every reffieling as during

operation under certain conditions ( high engine speeds, high loads, engine

braking, hard cornering and track use) oil consumption of approximately I

litre per 800 kilometre is possible.

Conclusion:

For all of these reasons, I find in favour of the Consumer in this case.

Order:

I now order as follows:

The Manufacturer shall buy - back the Vehicle at a price of $57,532.49. The buy-back

shall take place in accordance with section 6.1.5 of the Agreement for Arbitration and

I shall remain responsible for case until the buy - back is completed.

Last edited:

Voodoolt90

Established Member
I won, Ford lost, **** ford, $53,000 in repairs trying to fix a car that truly does have an oil consumption problem and to have ford admit it on paper. You only spend that kind of cash fixing this car when you have something to hide. Heheheh ford im coming for you! :) Anyone interested in the full award or FMC notes on the case prior to arbitration, message [email protected] If you know anyone in Canada that has had problems with this car (probably lots, see them up for sale often) message me. Time to take this bitch viral, share with all your friends and on facebook and bring attention to fellow Shelby owners who might need help.

Users who are viewing this thread