High quality or billet valve cover hardware

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Does anyone know where one could get some nice/trick looking valve cover bolts and hardware. At one point I thought there was a company making nice little billet inserts with bolts that fit in them. I can't seem to find anything nowadays. Hopefully this will turn something up.

03' White Snake

Established Member
MMR sells them. I was looking for some nice hardware to go on with my new hydrodipped valve covers. I instead painted all my bolts black. If I have a few hundred to waste I'll look at the MMR ones again.

ARP also sells bolts. But they are really not cheap.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
How much are you looking to spend? I have all ARP hardware and i love the look of it. The washer has a recessed face and the bolt is one of their 12 point SS bolts. I paid a pretty penny and luckily got it right the first order.

P7060044_zpsed1256fa.jpg

Last edited:

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Yes, I'm interested in the ARP stuff as well. How much $ are we talking?

Bigggy

Established Member
Brush and painted the oem bolts on mine, look very good, simply need to be careful when torquing them down.

IMG_20140809_173455.jpg

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I have closer pics of them but may not have it with my at the moment as I am traveling. The washer is really thick with a recessed center. Its just wide enough (O.D.) to shield the view of the O-ring and it's retainer. Pretty slick looking and it took me a bit to find the right piece. It is excessively pricey but i wanted something other than what I found offered or polished oem bolts. I have replaced the majority of my visible engine bay bolts with either ARP or a SS piece.

Bolts: ARP-770-1003 I bought them in a pack of 5 from jegs $16.34 a pack OUCH!
Washers: ARP 400-8711 M6 Id .890 Od Chamfer Ss Washer I dont recall what I paid for these but i bet it was close to $2.00 a pop!
You need 20 of each and I believe I left the Forward top oem bolt in place because it holds the wire harness in place.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
That's not that bad.. $122 for all the bolts and they look fantastic!! Saved the PN's! Thank you!

SVT_Troy

Established Member
The Washers are the main piece, after that you can source any SS bolt with similar dimensions and you would be set. If 6 pint ARP's are cheaper than 12 points you could go with that and they would still look great. With that said you do have to make sure the head of the bolt fits in the washer's recession.....

R3dfireCobra

Established Member
Any thoughts on just Stainless M6 hardware from your local Ace Hardware? You can do both sides for about $10. Granted the factory does use 8.8 hardware...

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Any thoughts on just Stainless M6 hardware from your local Ace Hardware? You can do both sides for about $10. Granted the factory does use 8.8 hardware...

The hardware doesnt require alot of tensile strength. You can use pretty much whatever hardware suits your eye. I frequent Ace more than most people go to starbucks or relavent place. ARP's got my attention soley because of its looks

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I used MMR's hardware.

P627015106272014_03_zpse8380c14.jpg

MMR was my other choice, i contacted them and they were going to sell me their product without their logo but it was going to cost slighlty mor. Not sure how that works out as its less work. That is whay drove me to find a better solution

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I have been buying all of my ARP fasteners from Allen's Fasteners online. You can get certain bolts by the kit or order individual pieces at a decent price.

black 10th vert

Established Member
When I did mine many years ago, there was really nothing that I could find to meet the look I was going for when I was installing the wrinkle black covers. I went with some which I hand made from a combination of hardware I was able to source at ACE. I wanted polished stainless or chrome, but the heads on any stainless bolts were too small, and if I used the 6mm acorn nuts they had the same small scale. So I made some 6mm studs of the correct length, and bought a larger size of chrome acorn nut (don't recall what size off the top of my head). Then I made some threaded bushings to adapt the 6mm studs to the larger acorn nuts and used red locktite to make them into "bolts". I then found stainless washers of the correct diameter to cover the grommets and polished those. The look is very nice (inmo), but if I were doing it now, I would have sourced some thicker stainless washers from someone like ARP because the standard ones were not strong enough and slightly cupped when I torqued the nuts down. It's not too noticeable aesthetically, but it allowed a couple of them to slightly weep oil residue which I occasionally need to wipe clean. It's not a "leak", just minor residue so I've lived with it, but after reading this thread I may take the time to search for some better washers to replace the thin ones.

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
Good info in here. I bought and installed the MMR kit with the black oxide bolts last year and when I took the car out of storage they were coated in rust, so I don't recommend going that route. I should have known though, black oxide seems to rust if you breath on it.

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
I got the billet ones from MMR. I put each one in the lathe and machined their logo off, then I had them Matte Nickel plated along with the Allen bolts.

Woody6799

Established Member
ARP FTW! :rockon: I used them for my diff and my driveshaft. I am going to use them everywhere I can. It's worth the extra coin to me.

Users who are viewing this thread