High revving motors vs down low torque monsters?

High Revs vs. Low Torque

• I like to revv to the moon

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • I like to have tire shredding torque off the line

Votes: 43 59.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

helldiver14

Established Member
I was talking with my friends and we were discussing the differences between a high revving motor vs a down low torque motor. I currently ride an Yamaha FZ1 which is a revvy motor that comes alive at 5k, whereas my previous Bandit 1200 made all its power 7k and below. Also, I have a HCI 5.0 and have driven my buddies Mini Cooper S. I know in the Mustang world, some like the 32 valve because it can revv to the moon and others like the old 5.0 because of its low powerband. I like some things about torquey motors, but also like the high revving motors. Whats everyone's opinions? (Basically F1 car vs American V8)

Fox&Cobra

Established Member
I was talking with my friends and we were discussing the differences between a high revving motor vs a down low torque motor. I currently ride an Yamaha FZ1 which is a revvy motor that comes alive at 5k, whereas my previous Bandit 1200 made all its power 7k and below. Also, I have a HCI 5.0 and have driven my buddies Mini Cooper S. I know in the Mustang world, some like the 32 valve because it can revv to the moon and others like the old 5.0 because of its low powerband. I like some things about torquey motors, but also like the high revving motors. Whats everyone's opinions? (Basically F1 car vs American V8)

ive got a 2013 gt500 and a 1990 5.0 fox body the new one, even being forced induction, feels weak at lower end but once your 3k or over its a monster the old fox i got feels like a monster even tho its not real high HP but on the bottom end it'll set you in the seat and make you think its hardcore so my favorite with that short explanation is the fox because i like the low end better.

likuid_inc

Established Member
low end torque can always be felt by adding a set of gears on a 32v motor. I Personally like low end torque, but wheel hop is a big issue with the Cobras. To feel all the HP of the Cobras you are obviously high RPM, but it is the journey to that max TQ which is addicting. But comparing motorcycle power to car power is like night and day. Anyone who has been on a modded sportbike knows they will probably never go that fast in a car!! But to answer your question in short... I prefer high revving motors with a set of 4.10/3.73 gears to compliment the low end.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I like both, currently both vehicles are more torque oriented. Both are slow but in their category are more focused on bottom end. Harley low rider which has tons of torque down low and no power up high and my focus st has plenty of torque but power falls off up high. I will say in the tight curvy roads in the mountains the torque is for sure more fun coming out of corners.

Oh and my wife's civic that makes no torque down low and even less power up high

Voltwings

Established Member
They're both fun in their own ways, i dont think anyone "likes" one more than the other, but you can certainly be partial one way.

Being a person who enjoys HPDE, i really prefer revs. I love winding a motor out and going faster, and faster, and faster... just that pull all the way to redline is addicting.

For example, my mazdaspeed 3, 350 ft/lbs at 3500 rpms lol it is by all definitions a torque monster. Stock turbo pretty much falls flat on its face about 5k, which is just the nature of all small stock turbos. My '13 5.0 with a cobrajet made 450 at 7800 rpm and there was nothing more rewarding than winding that motor out and just feeling the speed climb. Yeah, i think i do prefer revs to torque. I like torque, torque is always good, but i like revs more.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
ive got a 2013 gt500 and a 1990 5.0 fox body the new one, even being forced induction, feels weak at lower end but once your 3k or over its a monster the old fox i got feels like a monster even tho its not real high HP but on the bottom end it'll set you in the seat and make you think its hardcore so my favorite with that short explanation is the fox because i like the low end better.

Thing is your gt500 makes tons of TQ down low, it's just a perception thing. Since it winds so far and pulls to redline it's just even faster up top.

The 4.6 cobras were the same way. It might not feel super torquey but only because it pulks even harder up top.

kaz109

Established Member
I have a E46 M3 that I track and I daily a C63 which has a good bit of TQ. I find revving more enjoyable

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'll take a motor like the '11-17 5.0s over a low end torque monster any day! Because even when dig racing, my car is never below 3 or 4,000 RPM. I love a second gear pull starting at 5K and going to the top of fourth, taching 7,800 through every gear.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The torque is what you feel seat of the pants. My cobra has plenty of that down low. I like having a compromise. I like having both! I suppose Honda guys like high revving only, because that's all they can get.

helldiver14

Established Member
I would love to drive the new voo doo GT350, because thats the definition of a high revving motor. There's a great review on the GT350R and Z28 that talks about the difference in low torque and high revvs. The GT350 beat it around the track because the Z28 had too much torque for the track #becausecamaro. Im not a huge fan of head to head, but this is a solid review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtdtGgf1BF0

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The reason you are asking the question is because both are great from a personal perspective. Being able to hit massive torque down low feels great because you are satisfying the feeling of competing in a drag race, but most of us like the idea of racing around a track also so being able to hit the high revs at upwards of 7500rpm is equally as satisfying. To me you really can't choose one or the other because when you get in the right car that does either/or, both will put a smile on your face.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
If I have to choose between two extremes I'm going with revs. I hate driving diesels.

Blown 89

Established Member
I have a CTS-V and race a 125cc shifter kart. On track I want a high fever, on the street torque. Best of both worlds

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I have a 13 Boss 302 and my daily is a 15 SS Sedan auto. The LS3 makes a lot more low end torque in the SS than the coyote (roadrunner) in the Boss. I'm not sure I can pick which I prefer, I think in these two applications and intended uses it fits both... Imo drag racing is as much about torque as HP. Road raceing cars usually are better off with a progressive building power band.....

cj428mach

Established Member
Torque!

I had a high winding cammed small block and its nothing like the brutal instant hit of my Terminator.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Both.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Torque, I hate when a car can barely move when it's engine is at low RPM. Of course I'd rather just have a powerful enough car where it never feels weak

LS2GTO

Established Member
Man, I've been and LS guy most of my life (hence the username) and love driving my current 402 stroker.

But dang, I've also put 2000 miles on my 2016 Mustang GT and I'm loooooving how this thing revs and feels at 7000rpm compared to the LS.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Mix of both. Never had a high revving car, think the Shelby topped out in the low 6's, but have a modded ZX-12 that came alive after 6k.

It's fun driving a fully built KB Lightning/Shelby for the down low torque, and it's also fun hauling ass on a bike hearing it scream at 10k+ RPM.

Now I do more offroading see avatar, so right now I prefer the low end grunt, since it's needed out in the sand/mud.

Users who are viewing this thread