Hiked to the summit of an active volcano!

einehund

Established Member
Last night, driving home with the family, saw some glowing red from the top of Mt. Etna. I've been waiting for the opportunity to see a lava eruption for almost a year now, so I asked the family if they wanted an excursion. A five hour hike later, I got to take the video I've been dreaming of! The wind at the summit was almost hurricane force, and due to my move back to the states, all my normal camera gear is packed up, but I hope a cell phone video is good enough.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Absolutely phenomenal and an awesome family excursion! Thanks for sharing!

einehund

Established Member
That was spectacular! How close did you get?
About 500 feet or so. The wind kept blowing hot rocks once they were ejected, and didn't want those falling on us, so no closer. But definately close enough to be HOT. 2 am at 10000 feet should have been in the upper 50's*, but it was easily 100 up top. Froze our asses off coming down!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
About 500 feet or so. The wind kept blowing hot rocks once they were ejected, and didn't want those falling on us, so no closer. But definately close enough to be HOT. 2 am at 10000 feet should have been in the upper 50's*, but it was easily 100 up top. Froze our asses off coming down!
Yeah, that's about as close as I'd want to get. THAT was an experience you'll absolutely never forget.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Spent a year there and that bitxh just smoked...soon as I left she blew...i was pissed lol

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Last night, driving home with the family, saw some glowing red from the top of Mt. Etna. I've been waiting for the opportunity to see a lava eruption for almost a year now, so I asked the family if they wanted an excursion. A five hour hike later, I got to take the video I've been dreaming of! The wind at the summit was almost hurricane force, and due to my move back to the states, all my normal camera gear is packed up, but I hope a cell phone video is good enough.
I have my good memories from Sicily. Good on ya for making the hike.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
einehund, thanks for posting this! What an awesome experience, and you had your family with you! Just flat out stunning, awesome, fantastic!

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Nice! I spent SOOOO much time up there when I was stationed there. It was my first duty station in the Navy back around 93-94. I was station outside the gate of NAS2 at the Mineshop before they later closed it down. Man I miss those days!!

nxhappy

Established Member
that's bad ass man. sometimes we forget about the powerful forces of Earth. Thank you for sharing.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Ya no thanks. Definitely won’t catch me at the top of an active volcano or near the base of one. You won’t see any crazy tornado storm chasing or swimming with sharks vids either from me. Nope, I’m out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread